Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

travis.hansen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
I have a Sprint iPhone 5 that I have been looking to unlock for quite some time now. Everywhere I have taken it to has told me it's not possible. Well I came across the video in the link below for the GPP iPhone 5.

My question, has anyone had any success using this to unlock your iPhone 5? I just want another confirmation before I fork out $40 to pick one up online.

http://youtu.be/ZfNkXlC7H7k

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
If it was me I'd sell it and get an unlocked i5.
To spend $40 for a gevey that will become useless when the next ios update is out is pointless IMO.
Unless you never plan on updating the firmware on that phone.

travis.hansen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
Not gonna work. CDMA US iPhone only work abroad.

Is this something you are sure of?

----------

If it was me I'd sell it and get an unlocked i5.
To spend $40 for a gevey that will become useless when the next ios update is out is pointless IMO.
Unless you never plan on updating the firmware on that phone.

I wish I could. I couldn't pay my bill and switched. It's got a bad esn so I'm stuck with the iPhone

travis.hansen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
It will still sell even with a bad esn.
You should get some decent money for it.

I know I can get something for it. I just can't afford to sell it and spend an additional 200 for an unlocked one. That's why I'm looking to go the 3rd party unlock route

Muscle Master

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
Philadelphia
Is this something you are sure of?

----------

I wish I could. I couldn't pay my bill and switched. It's got a bad esn so I'm stuck with the iPhone

You will be able to use the phone (on another sprint account or otherwise.. you will have a clear esn) when sprint put your account into collections
that could take 1-4 months

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
You're wrong. I have the Verizon version. It is unlocked and it works fine here in the US on T-Mobile and AT&T (HSPA only, not LTE).

The Verizon i5 comes unlocked for any GSM carrier in the world.
That's why.
The Sprint i5 is a different story.
Its not unlocked and if you request for Sprint to unlock it for GSM it only works with providers outside the US.

sauder

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2013
Not gonna work. CDMA US iPhone only work abroad.

What if you took it abroad then unlocked it. Like AT&T unlocks their phones, so if its unlocked abroad on AT&T you could come back and use it on some other carrier.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
What if you took it abroad then unlocked it. Like AT&T unlocks their phones, so if its unlocked abroad on AT&T you could come back and use it on some other carrier.

Sprint would have to unlock it on their end in order for it to work outside the US. If you brought it back to the US even if its officially unlocked it would not work inside the US with any domestic carrier.
The Sprint iphone is different than AT&T iphone and the Verizon i5.

sauder

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2013
I was told by an Apple representative that the iPhone five is a world phone, it can handle with both GSM and CDMA carriers. i had a CDMA phone that I wanted Apple to unlock, and they said they would do it.

But all of this is redundant, because even though the iPhone five is a world phone, within the US, carriers have the ability to unlock but they're not going to.

If you're trying to use an unlocked iPhone with a GSM prepaid plan, the only way to do is if you buy from Apple!

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
I was told by an Apple representative that the iPhone five is a world phone, it can handle with both GSM and CDMA carriers. i had a CDMA phone that I wanted Apple to unlock, and they said they would do it.

But all of this is redundant, because even though the iPhone five is a world phone, within the US, carriers have the ability to unlock but they're not going to.

If you're trying to use an unlocked iPhone with a GSM prepaid plan, the only way to do is if you buy from Apple!

they never lied...it is a World phone....meaning it works on Sprint (CDMA) and on every GSM Carrier "WORLD" Wide....just sprint has choosen to block out Domestic (Within USA) Carriers from being accessed on the iPhone and its something they will not allow no matter what. You see Verizon iPhone 5 is similar if not exactly the same....Verizon is a CDMA/LTE Network however its iPhone 5 works on GSM Networks because FCC overruled Verizon and forced them to leave the GSM portion unlocked on their iPhone...so now that iPhone works on every GSM Carrier WORLD WIDE PLUS ON EVERY DOMESTIC CARRIER besides Sprint (that isnt Verizon's fault but its because sprint wouldnt accept ESN's from non sprint phones). I can understand why sprint is so crazy about keeping domestic carrier use off of their iPhones because they do not want people running off of their crappy network.....no matter what they are keeping you on the leash and even if you decide to cancel on your own will and sell the iPhone...well it still brings Sprint customers as the next buyer is going to have no choice but to use it on Sprint.

in USA you have 3 options for getting iPhone 5 that is unlocked:

1) Apple Store
2) a Verizon iPhone 5 - Comes Factory Unlocked on its SIM slot
3) a AT&T iPhone 5 - Get it unlocked from online for as little as $4

Am3r1ca16

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
New York City
they never lied...it is a World phone....meaning it works on Sprint (CDMA) and on every GSM Carrier "WORLD" Wide....just sprint has choosen to block out Domestic (Within USA) Carriers from being accessed on the iPhone and its something they will not allow no matter what. You see Verizon iPhone 5 is similar if not exactly the same....Verizon is a CDMA/LTE Network however its iPhone 5 works on GSM Networks because FCC overruled Verizon and forced them to leave the GSM portion unlocked on their iPhone...so now that iPhone works on every GSM Carrier WORLD WIDE PLUS ON EVERY DOMESTIC CARRIER besides Sprint (that isnt Verizon's fault but its because sprint wouldnt accept ESN's from non sprint phones). I can understand why sprint is so crazy about keeping domestic carrier use off of their iPhones because they do not want people running off of their crappy network.....no matter what they are keeping you on the leash and even if you decide to cancel on your own will and sell the iPhone...well it still brings Sprint customers as the next buyer is going to have no choice but to use it on Sprint.

1) Apple Store

You have to keep in mind that if you choose option 2 you wont be able to use LTE on AT&T or T-Mobile with the Verizon iPhone 5. So you will only be limited to 3G speeds.

Statusquick

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2012
Reading this thread gave me an idea:

What if someone went in to the Apple Store for a replacement phone?

The past 2-3 times I've replaced my Sprint iPhone, I've noticed that when you turn the replacement phone on, you have an option of choosing Verizon, ATT, and Sprint (among others).

What if you chose Verizon/ATT so that it becomes branded with their service? Theoretically you'd be free of Sprint and you would have a much more valuable iPhone.

Does anyone see a flaw in this logic?

sauder

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2013

1) Apple Store

Every iPhone five comes in the box as an unlocked phone, but once carriers get a hold of it— that's it.

But the only safe way to get an unlocked iPhone is to buy from Apple. Period

If you buy from carriers, you will suffer.

famoussasjohn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
Basically look at this way
Sprint iPhone = Paperweight if you don't have Sprint service. Can't be unlocked for any other carrier.
AT&T iPhone = Can be used on T-Mobile* (*when it's unlocked)
Verizon iPhone = Can be used on T-Mobile and AT&T while being in a 2 year contract with Verizon.

----------

I sold a 65GB Verizon 4S on eBay for $375 back in January.

Unpossible! ;)

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
Every iPhone five comes in the box as an unlocked phone, but once carriers get a hold of it— that's it.

But the only safe way to get an unlocked iPhone is to buy from Apple. Period

If you buy from carriers, you will suffer.

what about when you go to a Apple store and upgrade your line....are you still safe? lol because a good portion of people that describe situations like you are under the impression that just because they got it from "Apple" Store that their iPhone is unlocked....usually not the case.

Answer = No because IMEI's (and/or model numbers) are assigned to carriers so they are specific and made to be activated only with that carrier(s)...besides the Unlocked version which you pay full price for....even AT&T version if you buy at full price you still have to "Request" for it to be unlocked as it isn't Unlocked out of the box (at least from what I have seen in the past)

----------

You have to keep in mind that if you choose option 2 you wont be able to use LTE on AT&T or T-Mobile with the Verizon iPhone 5. So you will only be limited to 3G speeds.

That is true...but most people looking to get Unlocked Phones don't usually plan on getting LTE (at least not anytime soon) as they usually are settling with MVNO's....personally I don't know too many people who paid full price and are paying the carriers big bucks...when they can just get a subsidized phone and have it unlocked for their vacations/traveling needs....

sauder

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2013
I bought my iPhone 5 under the guise that I could unlock it myself. I knew it wasn't like the iPhone 4, where a CDMA phone didn't have a SIM card slot.

When I was at the Apple store, replacing my phone. I saw a fresh iPhone 5 from the factory.

The iOS6 menu looks just like when you restore your phone,

iphone-setup-1.png

There's a screen before the setup screen, before activation where the Genius locks the phone to the carrier.

And when you walk out of the store, the phone is unlocked once the Genius chooses. When the carriers tell you it can't be unlocked, they're lying. It CAN be unlocked but they're NOT going to do it.

I don't know about how unlocked overseas works and I don't care. Even if I was using it overseas, I don't want to take any chances if the phone is not really unlocked.

'Unlocked for international use' should be a banned term because its misleading.

Below will be the only way you can buy an unlocked iPhone.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 2,022

Abdu

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2012
I bought my iPhone 5 under the guise that I could unlock it myself. I knew it wasn't like the iPhone 4, where a CDMA phone didn't have a SIM card slot.

When I was at the Apple store, replacing my phone. I saw a fresh iPhone 5 from the factory.

The iOS6 menu looks just like when you restore your phone,

There's a screen before the setup screen, before activation where the Genius locks the phone to the carrier.

And when you walk out of the store, the phone is unlocked once the Genius chooses. When the carriers tell you it can't be unlocked, they're lying. It CAN be unlocked but they're NOT going to do it.

I don't know about how unlocked overseas works and I don't care. Even if I was using it overseas, I don't want to take any chances if the phone is not really unlocked.

'Unlocked for international use' should be a banned term because its misleading.

Below will be the only way you can buy an unlocked iPhone.

How do you get a phone to display the last screenshot?

Abdu

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2012
Yeah I understood that now. So sauer's comments are wrong that there is a screen that lets geniuses choose which carrier the phone is gonna be locked to?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.