Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KevinRightWing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 15, 2007
Houston TX
This first time father has had a lot of eye opening experiences over the past 12 months, one thing that has shocked me is how much my 1 year old has taken to my wife's ipad. So much so, that now that is her toy of choice and my wife is without her ipad 2 most of thr time. Thinking of getting my wife another ipad.....but this just seems nuts to a guy as frugal as myself. Am I completely off my rocker?

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
This first time father has had a lot of eye opening experiences over the past 12 months, one thing that has shocked me is how much my 1 year old has taken to my wife's ipad. So much so, that now that is her toy of choice and my wife is without her ipad 2 most of thr time. Thinking of getting my wife another ipad.....but this just seems nuts to a guy as frugal as myself. Am I completely off my rocker?

It's obviously your choice and if you think she is responsible enough, than you can buy one.

Just make sure she doesn't get spoiled: before you know it, all she wants are expensive products and she won't be satisfied with anything less.

While there's nothing wrong with letting your children grow up with technology, I think it is important too that young children will not become greedy and young children should also be able to have fun by doing more simple stuff. Like building a fortress with just some pillows and sheets.

costabunny

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
I think its great that a young child can use technology. As a play/learning tool its obvious to you already that its beneficial.

If you can afford to have such an expensive item for her then go for it! (get a good tough case though ;) (otterbox defender perhaps :)

embrace the experience you can have with your little girl and the ipad.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
If she's growing up with an ipad, she'll still want the usual cheap toys for the holidays and birthday and whatnot. But at least you won't hear "ipad" all the time. It's just an everyday tool to her.

I'd get a used one that can be protected. I doubt either you or your wife would want to use the ipad thats in a bulky case often smeared up that only kids can do.

Think of it this way. You won't be buying other junk like leapfrogs. It's a small investment for the time your kid's mind is a sponge. Just put the right apps on it.

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
I say go for it. I have an iPad 1 and my 2 and 3 year old are always wanting to play with that or one of our phones. So I bought an iPad mini and put it in an otterbox defender. Now I bought it for them and me to share and because I wanted to check out the mini. Now I want my own mini because I prefer it without a case and the defender is hard to take off and on.

I would skip the cheap toys if you can read your children. I bought my girls cheap $30 cameras last year at some point. They are durable and simple, but that's it. My 3 year old (actually 4 next week) keeps complaining that it doesn't take good pictures and she always wants to play with my 5D Mark III. Yikes! So for her birthday, I found a cheap P&S and bought the 2 year Squaretrade warranty on it. As with everything else though, I had to buy 2 so the 2 girls don't fight over them. Now these will not be normal toys mixed in their toy boxes, but I will let them use them whenever they ask and just keep an eye on them.

So if she is already showing an interest and seems somewhat proficient with it, I'd get one.

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
When I bought an iPad 2 I gave my original to my grandkids. They were 3 and 7 at the time. Then when I upgraded to the 3 I gave them my 2. Both love them. My 9 year-old grandson plays physics games, hidden object games (he does very well on the tough ones) but really loves Minecraft YouTube videos.

My 4 year-old granddaughter has many games she plays. She has learned her alphabet and numbers using it. I put Ghost Armor on the screens and a light case on each just in case....

They have learned to be careful handling them, to plug them in each night, and to actually limit their own use. We've kind of harped on them to only play on it at certain times and for just a while each time. My granddaughter is so funny, she'll play a bit then carefully fold over the cover, put it on the table and say 'that's all for now'. It's harder for my grandson, he's mildly austic and frankly it helps him focus.

I think iPads are a great way to ease kids into tech and the amount of fun learning apps is amazing. Teaching kids the value of tech and how to use it is important. But teaching how and when NOT to use it is just as important. And to me, the earlier you can ingrain good habits, the better off they are when they get older.

shortcrust

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2008
It's obviously your choice and if you think she is responsible enough, than you can buy one.

Just make sure she doesn't get spoiled: before you know it, all she wants are expensive products and she won't be satisfied with anything less.

While there's nothing wrong with letting your children grow up with technology, I think it is important too that young children will not become greedy and young children should also be able to have fun by doing more simple stuff. Like building a fortress with just some pillows and sheets.

:confused::confused: Responsible enough? You know he's talking about a one year old don't you?!

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
She is 1!!!! She doesn't really know what she is doing with it, other than she likes the pretty colors. I would watch out for when, not if, when she puts it in her mouth, learns she can lift it higher than her head and drops it on said head, bangs it into her face, drools on it, spills drinks on it, etc.

Nothing wrong with sharing time with her and the iPad showing her colors, numbers, letters, etc, by sharing I mean mommy & Daddy time with baby, not giving it to her to sit in a crib and entertain herself with it. This is a time for bonding, not babysitting through technology IMHO.

An iPad can be a great learning device, but it is not a 1 year old toy, not in the least.

GBR

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2012
I had my old 1st gen iPad laying around and when my son turned 1 I got him a kids case for that iPad. Well it was pretty big and heavy so I decided to eBay it and pretty much come out even on a iPad mini and a really good case. He absolutely loves it, I downloaded several learning apps and he loves them! He is now 19 months and knows the alphabet, can match letters, and recognizes every letter verbally. Thanks endless alphabet!

We need to stop looking at technology only as a play thing. It is an incredibly powerful learning tool. Especially when you consider the intuitive nature of a touchscreen vs a keyboard and mouse. My 19 mo old definitely couldn't grasp a mouse at this point but a touchscreen makes sense.

But just like anything else, it all takes parenting. If you get your young child an iPad and just plop him on the ground with it for hours a day, well that's not parenting. My son gets to play his app for maybe 20-30 min every few days so he doesn't only experience a screen and plays with his other toys and is active.

Btw, I think it should be required for everyone to disclose whether they actually have a kid of their own in their post. If they haven't had a kid their opinion is irrelevant.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA

She is a 1 year old....she will not be responsible enough for anything for several more years, let a long an iPad.

Last edited by a moderator:

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
I had my old 1st gen iPad laying around and when my son turned 1 I got him a kids case for that iPad. Well it was pretty big and heavy so I decided to eBay it and pretty much come out even on a iPad mini and a really good case. He absolutely loves it, I downloaded several learning apps and he loves them! He is now 19 months and knows the alphabet, can match letters, and recognizes every letter verbally. Thanks endless alphabet!

We need to stop looking at technology only as a play thing. It is an incredibly powerful learning tool. Especially when you consider the intuitive nature of a touchscreen vs a keyboard and mouse. My 19 mo old definitely couldn't grasp a mouse at this point but a touchscreen makes sense.

But just like anything else, it all takes parenting. If you get your young child an iPad and just plop him on the ground with it for hours a day, well that's not parenting. My son gets to play his app for maybe 20-30 min every few days so he doesn't only experience a screen and plays with his other toys and is active.

I know this will surprise and amaze you....but people said the same thing about their precious little miracle 15 years ago. PC program like Jumpstart Baby had everyone convinced they were raising a little mensa.

15 years before that 'See and Say' and other electronic kids were 'using technology to give kids a head start.'

The iPad is what is is. It's not a magical toy that's going to make your kid a genius. It still comes down to parenting, interacting and the kids interest and willingness to learn.

Yes, the iPad has a value. By the time your kids are in school, they will use them on a regular basis. But other than getting somewhat more comfortable with technology, it's not that big a deal.

Well other than parents annoying everyone with stories of what their little angel did....which is essentially the same as everybody's baby, nephew/niece or grandchild on the site.

imlovinit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
Whatever happened to the days when kids played outside?

I'm all for technology for kids expanding their education but for a one year old? She doesn't need her own ipad. My two cents. It's your money and your child so you'll do what's best but let the kid be a kid or your child's case..a baby.

GBR

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2012
I know this will surprise and amaze you....but people said the same thing about their precious little miracle 15 years ago. PC program like Jumpstart Baby had everyone convinced they were raising a little mensa.

15 years before that 'See and Say' and other electronic kids were 'using technology to give kids a head start.'

The iPad is what is is. It's not a magical toy that's going to make your kid a genius. It still comes down to parenting, interacting and the kids interest and willingness to learn.

Yes, the iPad has a value. By the time your kids are in school, they will use them on a regular basis. But other than getting somewhat more comfortable with technology, it's not that big a deal.

Well other than parents annoying everyone with stories of what their little angel did....which is essentially the same as everybody's baby, nephew/niece or grandchild on the site.

I'm not saying my sons a mind blowing genius who will one day find the cure for cancer (though he is and he will :)). I do know that in my case the iPad has definitely helped some with my sons development in learning letters.

All I'm saying is an iPad can be a powerful learning tool that can teach things in a very easy and intuitive way. When used within reason. As I said in my above post it's not a replacement for parenting and experiencing the world around them. That's why iPad time needs to be controlled by the parent as just a portion of the things the child experiences.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
I'm not saying my sons a mind blowing genius who will one day find the cure for cancer (though he is and he will :)). I do know that in my case the iPad has definitely helped some with my sons development in learning letters.

I hate to say it, but flash cards, reading books to them and even good ole crayons and paper do the exact same things for kids that age. Listen we all (as parents) like to think our kids are special, a step above the rest, doing things no other kid can do, but the reality is, often, we are just parents and our kids are just like most others when they are 1,2,3 years old.

I am not saying you shouldn't give your kids every advantage you can, but thinking an iPad will help them learn ABC and 123 better than other traditional methods is just a false sense of justification for buying an iPad.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
My dad brought home an Apple IIe when I was two and put it in the corner of my room. It was one of the first steps of what I would become some day. I graduated high school with a honor society honor (under scholar, which is the highest point you can get), and inducted president in journalism honors. I'm also in the art honor society for my education in photography. I've gone into college since then and taken audio engineering, and am currently finishing a 3D animation marketing certificate.

But because of that, I am also the most anti-social person on this planet. I spend a lot of time indoors, except when photographing and while at school, and spend a lot of time just keeping to myself. I have very little communication skills, and very little in common with most people I know. People have accused me of some nasty things, especially since I tend to leave and enter rooms without any notice. They think I'm going to do something that might send me to jail - Which isn't the case, but people have that in the back of their mind for whatever reason, especially since I have problems with my life in general.

I think by letting your daughter keep the iPad to herself, that you're opening the door to her becoming out of touch with life, just as I am. You need to encourage her to play with other children, and to be curious about the things around her.

iPads are also not toys. They have small parts, and a battery that can easily tear and leak if a blunt object somehow falls through the headphone jack or punctures the back. She is not old enough to be responsible for a device that delicate. Nor does she understand the concept of the device, other than that she can play games on it. I actually was at a gathering the other day, and let a friend's daughter look at my iPad Mini. She is about five or six, and she would just click on all the cute looking icons, just to see what everything was. I had to help her read some of the menus because most weren't simplistic enough to figure out what was play, what were options, etc. It was awkward, especially since I had some pretty graphic 13+ games that I was afraid she would try opening and I wouldn't have enough time to grab the device from her before she saw something like 2D blood and the like.

From a educational point of view, the main issue is that she would learn how to use the device for HER needs, and not the device in general. It would be like her learning about earth science, but her only focusing on rocks because they're the most interesting. She needs to get the whole picture, that there is weather, rocks, plants, the ocean, etc, like the iPad is a tool for many things, aswell as playing games.

She needs to learn to read before even bothering to be honest.

Ann P

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2009
California
This is a personal parenting chose as to not offend anyone. For me, I would rather my son or daughter play with building blocks and fisher prices, preferably with another to develop social skills. They will have plenty of interactions with electronics soon enough, why not give them some alternatives first. :)

GBR

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2012
It's funny to me how everyone seems to think that if you give your kid an iPad that is all that he/she will ever experience for the rest of their life. If you read my above post my son uses his iPad for maybe 20 to 30 minutes every few days. Guess what he does those days and hours that he doesn't even see his iPad. He plays with his Duplo blocks, he plays outside, he plays with his flashcards, he plays with other kids, he looks at books and points out letters, he plays with his drawing board. He has not lost any interest in any of these other activities since introducing the iPad. The iPad represents a very small portion of his experiences that I make sure that he has.

It's funny how people are arguing against the effectiveness of an iPad on an iPad forum, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I look at the iPad as a learning tool that can adapt and grow with him as he gets older. When he has outgrown his flashcards and Duplo blocks and they're sitting at the bottom of his toybox he'll still be using his iPad for more advanced learning and will continue to use it as long as it works.

Han Solo 1

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2013
Yes, by all means, buy your 1 year old an iPad.

And when she's 5 and has the attention span of a housefly and is wondering why her coloring book doesn't swipe and has these weird rough paper pages, just remember all the great advice you asked for on macrumors.

:rolleyes:

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
It's funny to me how everyone seems to think that if you give your kid an iPad that is all that he/she will ever experience for the rest of their life. If you read my above post my son uses his iPad for maybe 20 to 30 minutes every few days. Guess what he does those days and hours that he doesn't even see his iPad. He plays with his Duplo blocks, he plays outside, he plays with his flashcards, he plays with other kids, he looks at books and points out letters, he plays with his drawing board. He has not lost any interest in any of these other activities since introducing the iPad. The iPad represents a very small portion of his experiences that I make sure that he has.

It's funny how people are arguing against the effectiveness of an iPad on an iPad forum, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I look at the iPad as a learning tool that can adapt and grow with him as he gets older. When he has outgrown his flashcards and Duplo blocks and they're sitting at the bottom of his toybox he'll still be using his iPad for more advanced learning and will continue to use it as long as it works.

I've said the same on here in the past. It's not as if my daughter spends 12 hours a day on an ipad. Some days she doesn't even touch it. And it's not as if she doesn't have legos, drawing pads, books, etc. In fact, she often prefers this other stuff.

The point is, the ipad, like any tech, is simply a tool for learning. It doesn't replace good parenting. It doesn't mean the kid doesn't get to play outside or interact with other kids.

My daughter has been taking piano lessons since she was 4 (now 7). I've heard the same reaction. Why? She doesn't need that, what a waste. She does amazing at recitals.

Kids this age are like sponges. The rate at which they learn is just incredible. Even so, there's articles out everywhere telling how unprepared kids are for Kindergarten or 1st grade. In KY (I'm in Louisville), about 30% of kids entering kindergarten aren't prepared. http://www.kyforward.com/2013/03/ma...-ready-to-succeed-academically-new-data-show/

That's pathetic. But not surprising given the many responses you see on here or elsewhere. One of the proudest days of my life was last year at my daughter's kindergarten graduation when she received overall academic and several other awards such as math, reading, spelling, perfect attendance, etc (who knew they gave out awards at kindergarten? just glad i had my camcorder). You may think that she'd be some introverted quiet kid or whatever but she's the class clown. Our biggest problem is getting her to not talk and behave. She plays volleyball, soccer, and swims.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.