Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

samsung_s9110_watchphone-250x273.jpg
Bloomberg reports that Samsung has confirmed last month's rumors that it is working on a smart watch. With rumors of Apple working on its own "iWatch" project for launch as soon as later this year, it appears that the two rivals will be be going head-to-head yet again as the battle over mobile devices widens.
"We've been preparing the watch product for so long," Lee Young Hee, executive vice president of Samsung's mobile business, said during an interview in Seoul. "We are working very hard to get ready for it. We are preparing products for the future, and the watch is definitely one of them."

Lee had no comment on what features the watch may have, how much it would cost and when it would go on sale.
The report notes that Samsung may be able to offer a pricing advantage over Apple given that it controls its own chip and display production, undoubtedly two of the highest-cost components of a smart watch.

Apple has been reported to have 100 product designers working on its smart watch project, toying with curved glass and considering such features as biosensors and mapping functionality. The watch will also reportedly run a "full" version of iOS, making for easier integration and developer access. Battery life is said to be a challenge for Apple, however, with current prototypes lasting only about two days between charges, roughly half of Apple's goal.

(Photo: Samsung S9110 watchphone)

Article Link: Samsung Confirms Work on Smart Watch Project

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
The biggest innovation I look forward to seeing is how Apple, Samsung and any other company overcomes the battery longevity issues for such a small device.

If they have a significant breakthrough, it could lead to much improved performance in other mobile devices.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
"We've been preparing the watch product for so long," Lee Young Hee, executive vice president of Samsung's mobile business, said during an interview in Seoul. "We are working very hard to get ready for it. We are preparing products for the future, and the watch is definitely one of them."

Lee had no comment on what features the watch may have, how much it would cost and when it would go on sale.

Translated to "we will see what Apple offers and do that"

ipoppy

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2006
UK
It seems Samsung cannot come up with own innovative idea...but is quick with coping someone’s.
The only hope for Apple is to do it right

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Samsung will be kept busy if Apple keeps "leaking" some smoke screen projects every day.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
"We've been preparing the watch product for so long,"

This sentence seems preemptively defensive.

Of course it does. Now why do you figure it might be :rolleyes:

You only have to look at this forum for the answer. In fact - scroll up.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
Smart. Confirm on an ongoing project before Apple, so that they can't be sued when apple would actually launch the iwatch. :D

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA

Yeah... like since they heard Apple was doing something. Samsung fans can say what they want, but Samsung is copy cat... a darn good one too.

It would be interesting to see both watches from Apple and Samsung at the same time.... and see who really has the better feature set. But that won't happen... Apple will be first.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Samsung will be kept busy if Apple keeps "leaking" some smoke screen projects every day.

LOL! Yeah.... they should really leak some outlandish thing and see if Sammy responds with their own on-going plans. Would be funny especially if Apple would then come out and say it's BS. :)

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Apple doesn't even make a watch and Samsung is already copying it!

Wah!

frank-be

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2009
Belgium
I'me not even remotely interested...

...in any computer watch.

I will gladly take my Omega's, JLC or Stowa's anyday instead...

I could be interested if it somehow would still have real hands.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA

Yeah... like since they heard Apple was doing something. Samsung fans can say what they want, but Samsung is copy cat... a darn good one too.

It would be interesting to see both watches from Apple and Samsung at the same time.... and see who really has the better feature set. But that won't happen... Apple will be first.

It will be interesting. Feature set will be the best arbiter.

But it IS entirely possible Samsung has been working on a watch. Smart watches aren't a new idea. They just haven't been successful.

Just like I'd be curious what Apple could possibly bring to a TV that people would ditch their current one for because it was a "must have."

I'm interesting to see what watch ideas are offered. Can't say I'd be interested in buying one as I'm not a big watch wearer anyway.

SvP

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2009
I've had one of these things in 2006.. not a big deal, costs about 80-100$
sku_133818_1.jpg

http://dx.com/p/i5-gsm-wrist-watch-phone-w-1-8-resistive-screen-quad-band-single-sim-and-fm-black-133818
http://dx.com/p/watch-style-et-1t-gsm-touch-phone-w-1-5-resistive-single-sim-quad-band-and-fm-black-122103

i don't really care about them, but apple might be able to turn that around. Only if they re-imagine the thing to something useful, beautiful and actually usable. It's how they managed to grab the phone market, the tablet market, media player market, and the digital music market.

iekozz

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2009
Amsterdam
So you are all slamming Samsung for comming with a product that is according to you based on Apple ideas?

The smartwatch from Apple is only a rumour and only a rumour. You can't base any argument on rumors. '' A source within Apple report the company is working on flying tv's.'' Yes, clearly a valid point to slam Samsung.

dwhittington

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2007
Houston, TX
Sounds like such a blanket statement on Samsungs part. Oh yeah, we've got one of those too... But we started working on ours first, I mean soooooo long.

identity

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2011
Troll bait article. Samsung's made their smart watches since 1999 and the picture that is shown is from 2009.

But don't let the facts keep macrumors from doing it's thing....

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
Troll bait article. Samsung's made their smart watches since 1999 and the picture that is shown is from 2009.

But don't let the facts keep macrumors from doing it's thing....

Yep. Just like there were smart phones before the iPhone, right? Name anyone who could name one.

dBeats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
"We have been working on it for sooo long. I mean, like, really long. We can make a new smart phone every 10 minutes, but the watch....whew that takes a loooong time."

"Aren't you just waiting to see the specs on the Apple watch and then just copy it?"

"No, we're just waiting to get it just right."

"So when is your watch coming out?"

"About 3 months after Apple's"

"But Apple hasn't announced when/if it will be released."

"Buahahahahahahahahahah... ahem, sorry I have cold."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.