Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hackerwayne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Wouldn't it be a tremendous amount of effort and talent to make a 'fake MBA'?

'fake iPhones' are very easily distinguishable from the real deal.

Still, maybe just maybe he stopped replying because aren't there legal implications involved with selling a prototype?

Like I dunno, the whole iPhone 4 at the bar sold to a jouranlist-type fiasco?

Even though this is well beyond the announcement of the 2010 MBA re-design and didn't become the end all leak.

Thats what i though. But what am i suppose to do with this unit now?

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Yeah that's a tough one.

If you can't get a refund through the person who sold it to you, and were anticipating a non-questionable/non-potentially prototype, maybe try listing it here/on eBay just 'as is' and referring to this thread with really the bottom line of:
:confused::confused: who knows?

Not sure if that's against the mod rules or not...

if you really want clarity, maybe contact Apple directly? Not sure they'd compensate you though to receive it back.

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
Alright, I'm interested.

Maybe someone super skilled in heatgun soldering removed the original CPU and soldered on the i3 as a fix for a defective processor? And while it was open, added a backlight to the keyboard?

2010 MacBook Airs had silver lettering on the keys, not opaque white. The opaque white letters on other models allow light to pass through, while silver does not. This is either a really good fake or genuine Apple. OP, keep us updated!

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
You can't solder an i3 chip to a c2d board if its 2010.

That's sweet you have USB 3.0 :D my 2011 does not.

But I still love it

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
Whats weird to me is that its an i3 with HD3000 graphics, which means a Sandy Bridge CPU, but since it has native USB3 support, the chipset has to be Ivy Bridge, as Sandy Bridge lacked a chipset with an Intel-branded USB3 controller.

Mac_Max

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2004
Whats weird to me is that its an i3 with HD3000 graphics, which means a Sandy Bridge CPU, but since it has native USB3 support, the chipset has to be Ivy Bridge, as Sandy Bridge lacked a chipset with an Intel-branded USB3 controller.

Not true. The current USB 3.0 equipped Platform Controller Hubs work with Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge processors. It just wouldn't make any sense to release a new product with a Sandy Bridge CPU and a current gen PCH. For platform validation it's not a big deal since Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge processors are mechanically and electrically compatible.

Intel could have had made available samples of the new PCH before samples of Ivy Bridge CPUs.

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
Not true. The current USB 3.0 equipped Platform Controller Hubs work with Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge processors. It just wouldn't make any sense to release a new product with a Sandy Bridge CPU and a current gen PCH. For platform validation it's not a big deal since Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge processors are mechanically and electrically compatible.

Intel could have had made available samples of the new PCH before samples of Ivy Bridge CPUs.

That's exactly what I was getting at; why on earth would they utilize a last-gen processor with a current-gen chipset? If intel gave them samples of an newer chipset, why not give them samples of the newer CPU architecture as well?

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
Honestly I would ask apple directly and find out if it is a prototype just so you don't get sued or fined or something. Might be a good idea anyway apple may want to know about this type of knockoff if that happens to be what it is.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
1. There are some MBA knockoff hackintoshs on the market. So, a shady shop can steal the real internals, sell it else where, and put in Hackintosh mobo and parts. i3 is typically used in cheap Hackintosh laptops. It might have been "modified" later than the stated product date so it's easier to mask performance issues with perceived age.

I'm assuming it's in a genuine MBA body? Hard to fake that.

2. Prototype, but doesn't have different board look. But as mentioned, the processor doesn't match. But the seller's avoidance is strange.

Honestly I would ask apple directly and find out if it is a prototype just so you don't get sued or fined or something. Might be a good idea anyway apple may want to know about this type of knockoff if that happens to be what it is.

Read the thread. OP said the person who sold it doesn't know and is now unreachable.

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011
Im sure this is a prototype apple as far as i know has never put an i3 in a laptop. Stuff like this gets leaked out of apple every now and then.

hackerwayne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
[/COLOR]
1. There are some MBA knockoff hackintoshs on the market. So, a shady shop can steal the real internals, sell it else where, and put in Hackintosh mobo and parts. i3 is typically used in cheap Hackintosh laptops. It might have been "modified" later than the stated product date so it's easier to mask performance issues with perceived age.

2. Prototype, but doesn't have different board look. But as mentioned, the processor doesn't match. But the seller's avoidance is strange.

Read the thread. OP said the person who sold it doesn't know and is now unreachable.

Regarding on #1, it looks very very much like the real thing, layout, connectors location, various IC location. Just some connectors different. It does has Apple EFI, not BIOS like normal PCs. To make a fake MBA and copy the exact same board layout as Apple and running Apple EFI seems to be impossible. I can say i have failed to contact the previous owner. Hes not responding to my texts, nor answering my calls. Should i send it to Apple? If its a prototype, will they confiscate my unit?

----------

This is a real "Hackintosh".

Hackintosh uses BIOS, this one has Apple EFI on it. I can apply EFI update, do SMC reset and PRAM reset. Normal PC can't do this.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors

What are you talking about. I read the thread. Nothing in my post mentions the original seller and has nothing to do with the original seller whatsoever. I said contact apple not theseller

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Interesting about the board config. Anyway, Apple typically want their prototype back (if listed on ebay it'll get pulled).

[/COLOR]

Regarding on #1, it looks very very much like the real thing, layout, connectors location, various IC location. Just some connectors different. It does has Apple EFI, not BIOS like normal PCs. To make a fake MBA and copy the exact same board layout as Apple and running Apple EFI seems to be impossible. I can say i have failed to contact the previous owner. Hes not responding to my texts, nor answering my calls. Should i send it to Apple? If its a prototype, will they confiscate my unit?

----------

Hackintosh uses BIOS, this one has Apple EFI on it. I can apply EFI update, do SMC reset and PRAM reset. Normal PC can't do this.

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
if you enter in terminal
ioreg -l | grep IOPlatformSerialNumber

is it blank?

in system profiler under serial-ata, which series chipset does it have?

pretty neat that you came across this.

the logic board itself definitely looks like 2011.

Last edited:

nebrot

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2011
北京 (Beijing)
I have been living 5 years in China - Beijing, Shanghai, Tianjin, Hohhot, Dalian all big cities, seen and had hands on all kind of copy stuff - electronics, cars, clothes, watches. Nothing came really close to the originals and were just rubbish. I found this Air unlikely to be a copy considering its build quality. As mentioned by someone before, it would cost a fortune to make it - copy design engineering, material sourcing, supply chain set-up, machining equipment and so on. "Normal" copy looks just so so from outside, but under the hood even worse. I really do not believe this to be fake - but OP please keep us posted, very interesting thread.

hackerwayne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
if you enter in terminal

is it blank?

in system profiler under serial-ata, which series chipset does it have?

pretty neat that you came across this.

the logic board itself definitely looks like 2011.

Blank. Nothing showed up. Just this
:ioreg -l | grep IOPlatformSerialNumber
| "IOPlatformSerialNumber" = ""

How to check the chipset?
EDIT! Found it

Intel 7 Series Chipset
Apple SSD TS256C <this is my own SSD. The one came with it doesn't work

Intel 7 Series Chipset

Vendor: Intel
Product: Intel 7 Series Chipset
Link Speed: 6 Gigabit
Negotiated Link Speed: 6 Gigabit
Description: AHCI Version 1.30 Supported

EDIT! RIGHT! Thanks for the heads up, this guy has Series 7 chipset, where as the 2011 Air has Series 6 chipset.

Last edited:

hackerwayne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
I have been living 5 years in China - Beijing, Shanghai, Tianjin, Hohhot, Dalian all big cities, seen and had hands on all kind of copy stuff - electronics, cars, clothes, watches. Nothing came really close to the originals and were just rubbish. I found this Air unlikely to be a copy considering its build quality. As mentioned by someone before, it would cost a fortune to make it - copy design engineering, material sourcing, supply chain set-up, machining equipment and so on. "Normal" copy looks just so so from outside, but under the hood even worse. I really do not believe this to be fake - but OP please keep us posted, very interesting thread.

Till today i still don't think im having a fake MBA. Ive been using it like a normal one and it perform just like a normal 2011 MBA

Mac_Max

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2004
That's exactly what I was getting at; why on earth would they utilize a last-gen processor with a current-gen chipset? If intel gave them samples of an newer chipset, why not give them samples of the newer CPU architecture as well?

They're build by different teams with different time tables. The new chipsets are basically the same as the old ones with the addition of on chip USB. Ivy Bridge was delayed so thats likely why they used Sandy Bridge for platform validation. As far as their chipsets are concerned, the difference between a Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge is some firmware. For example, the preceding gen LGA1155 montherboards are easily able to support Ivy Bridge with a BIOS update.

geveke

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2007
Utrecht, the Netherlands
The keyboard is a MacBook (Black) keyboard, i think. The layout fits, and it's not truly backlit, since the keys are not letting light through. It just spills along the sides. It also accounts for the eject key.

Last edited:

hackerwayne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
The keyboard is a MacBook (Black) keyboard, i think. The layout fits, and it's not truly backlit, since the keys are not letting light through. It just spills along the sides. It also accounts for the eject key.

Black Book doesn't have a Power On button on the kb. It matches the one in the 2010 MBA

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.