Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I believe there was a point where some Apple Stores in the US were swapping 3rd gens for 4th gens as long as you purchased it within 30 days.

If you bought it within two weeks before the iPad 4 was announced.

----------

So yes, bottom line - they can't do this at all. Apple geniuses are nice, but not that nice.

That's not entirely true. They can do it, when corporate says its okay. What they can't do is do it just cause they want to. Because say you are really hot with big tits and the genius wants to hook up with you and figures a free upgrade will do it

----------

I don't think you can tell by the serial number.

Some folks say you can because there is a system to how the numbers are given out. but that assumes that remanufactured iPads (cause they aren't refurbs in a traditional sense) aren't given new serials

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013

----------

That's not entirely true. They can do it, when corporate says its okay. What they can't do is do it just cause they want to. Because say you are really hot with big tits and the genius wants to hook up with you and figures a free upgrade will do it

----------

Some folks say you can because there is a system to how the numbers are given out. but that assumes that remanufactured iPads (cause they aren't refurbs in a traditional sense) aren't given new serials

I think they are given new serials because when you try to check the warranty coverage status of an ipad you've had replaced on the Apple website, it will show that it is a replaced device.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012

----------

----------

I think they are given new serials because when you try to check the warranty coverage status of an ipad you've had replaced on the Apple website, it will show that it is a replaced device.

You can confirm that one is refurbished - sometimes. The first few digits of the serial number relate to the factory line it was built in. This is how they tell - some factory lines only build new, some only build refurbs, some build both. For example:

5K/QR (iPhone 4) - Refurbs only.
88 (iPhone 4) - New only.
C7 (iPhone 5) - Both new and refurbs.

So an iPhone 4 with serial 88********* is new, one with serial 5K******* or QR******* is a refurb, whilst an iPhone 5 with serial number C7******* could be either new or a refurb.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
Couple of thoughts:
The OP asks a question and then proceeds to answer his own question within subsequent (defensive) posts. His agenda is then in question.

Second, if I take my busted iPhone 2G will Apple replace it with an iP5 if the 2G is not available?

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
Couple of thoughts:
The OP asks a question and then proceeds to answer his own question within subsequent (defensive) posts. His agenda is then in question.

Second, if I take my busted iPhone 2G will Apple replace it with an iP5 if the 2G is not available?

Bingo!

ggibson913

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2006
I don't find it hard to believe that if an Apple Store doesn't have a 64GB Verizon iPad in stock they would give you a new one. Normally they replace it with the same model, color and everything. I have always gotten the same model when exchanging.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
You can confirm that one is refurbished - sometimes. The first few digits of the serial number relate to the factory line it was built in. This is how they tell - some factory lines only build new, some only build refurbs, some build both. For example:

5K/QR (iPhone 4) - Refurbs only.
88 (iPhone 4) - New only.
C7 (iPhone 5) - Both new and refurbs.

So an iPhone 4 with serial 88********* is new, one with serial 5K******* or QR******* is a refurb, whilst an iPhone 5 with serial number C7******* could be either new or a refurb.

But with ipad 4s, I think the vast majority of serial numbers start with DM.

iPadPublisher

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2010
I also got a 4th gen after swapping a 3rd gen. They didn't have any 3rd gen in stock so i gave my 3rd gen and 30 pin cable and they gave me a 4th gen with a lightning cable. They will only do this if there is no 3rd gen of your particular model in stock. Mine was Verizon 64GB white.

They did the same for my brother in Idaho last week. And no, he wasn't feeling "entitled" -- the thought never even crossed his mind, actually. He was shocked and awed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.