Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jpmorais

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 9, 2013
CT, USA

My fiancé got me the 27 iMac I7/fusion/680mx. for my birthday.
(i know shes awesome)

she bought it a month ago at the local apple store, and she just gave it to me today.

I wish i could return it and pay the difference for the 768 ssd.

i have the 768 ssd from my retina i was wondering if i should install in place of the 1TB hard drive with the blade to 2.5 sata case i got from ebay and old 3.5 bracket from a intel ssd?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160928199534?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

i would like to keep the 128 blade to run BOOTCAMP and dont wanna mess with taking my board out.

Is there is any speed difference between sata and blade sata conector? i know they are both sata 3 but i wanna know if there is any loss on using the case from ebay.

Thanks guys for your help!!!

Last edited:

flavr

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
You lucky piece of $^&@! lol

Anyway, the SSD is not going to show any real noticeable performance increase over the fusion unless you are working with files over 128GB in single sessions. The way the fusion handles information is very smart and always fast.

Instead of cracking open and potentially ruining a perfectly good iMac, why not put your SSD in an external enclosure and hook it to the thunderbolt port for even fast speeds than internal? Then you can use it for backup, or boot or whatever...

jpmorais

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 9, 2013
CT, USA
Nope, no loss of speed at all. I'm currently raiding a pair of 768GB Samsung blades.

Awesome, that must be amazing speeds your seeing :)

----------

You lucky piece of $^&@! lol

Anyway, the SSD is not going to show any real noticeable performance increase over the fusion unless you are working with files over 128GB in single sessions. The way the fusion handles information is very smart and always fast.

Instead of cracking open and potentially ruining a perfectly good iMac, why not put your SSD in an external enclosure and hook it to the thunderbolt port for even fast speeds than internal? Then you can use it for backup, or boot or whatever...

haha i know!

i was thinking of doing that, do you think the THUNDERBOLT external sata controller like Lacie would take the beating over time as being the boot drive?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.