Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

utekineir

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2008
thanks for this post! i really admire your input into my situation.

While money really isnt an issue, Im not the kind who just goes and blows it away just because I can, what i've learn in my young life is that you can never have enough to be safe as any life can be turn upsidedown in a matter of seconds and you can be left with nothing the next day.

considering your post, I think I should rule out a max configuration laptop, as it is just something I dont need. 256GB is plenty for me, not to mention I have a 1TB 3.0 USB for storage and backups. 8GB/16GB is debatable but not a real concern. And as far as processor, I really want an Core i7.

So i guess now im looking at these 2 options

13- i7 3.0 8GB 256GB - $1900
15 - 2.4-2.8 8gb/16gb 256gb - from $2200-$2750
http://store.apple.com/us/product/F...-23ghz-quad-core-intel-i7-with-retina-display

problem solved.

vatter69

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2013
I own the 13 with the 3.0 i7 and life is great.

Keep in mind though, the 13" i7 is only a dual-core which is still more than enough for your needs. Quad Core only really comes into play once you start to render videos and stuff.

vatter69

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2013
Yea but i highly doubt that applications like Mail, WWW, messaging etc will require a quadcore in the next 3-5 years ;)

The 13" has maybe 3 advantages

o Cost
o thermals
o footprint/portability

From a bang/buck perspective, the 15" seems a much better deal of course.

ShiggyMiyamoto

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
Just outside Boston, MA.
Yea but i highly doubt that applications like Mail, WWW, messaging etc will require a quadcore in the next 3-5 years ;)

The 13" has maybe 3 advantages

o Cost
o thermals
o footprint/portability

From a bang/buck perspective, the 15" seems a much better deal of course.

Yeah I really like the 13" form factor, but Apple lost my sale for that model this time around because they're calling it the MacBook "Pro" 13" when it really only has an integrated GPU chip. That's my deciding factor. I know the HD 4000 is no slouch, but it can only do so much, and I really regret my decision when I bought my current MacBook back in 2007 (due to its then decent GMA X3100 GPU chipset)... I don't want that to happen again too soon.

utekineir

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2008
13" is only even slightly considerable since its price drop.

Before that was way too little for the $.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
The reason i want it max out its because I want a machine that will be able to last me for years and still be fast years down the line.

I'm not one of those who buys a new machine everytime Apple brings one out, can't keep up with these kind of games

You can max it out, but you pay for it. If you buy something cheaper, sell it after three years or hand it down, buy something cheaper again, it ends up costing you less per year. And the cheap Mac in three years time is probably in every way better than your maxed out machine today.

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
13" is only even slightly considerable since its price drop.

Before that was way too little for the $.

If your top priority is bang for the buck then that's probably true.

However if you value smaller footprint, portability, lighter weight and easier to bring with you and use anywhere then the 13 inch is the best buy.

I think it would suck to buy a laptop or anything just because it's the best bang for the buck only to wish all the time you were using it that you had bought something different. Buy and use what you will enjoy the most provided it's within your budget.

utekineir

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2008
If your top priority is bang for the buck then that's probably true.

However if you value smaller footprint, portability, lighter weight and easier to bring with you and use anywhere then the 13 inch is the best buy.

I think it would suck to buy a laptop or anything just because it's the best bang for the buck only to wish all the time you were using it that you had bought something different. Buy and use what you will enjoy the most provided it's within your budget.

But if any of the following factors exist:

strict form factor requirements,
money is no object
legitimate professional needs.

the thread (and the 347 just like it) doesn't exist in the first place,

those people arent sitting on the fence asking strangers on the internet unless they just want a pat on the back or are a soulless ginger.

Last edited:

Deedlez

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2011
UK
I've got the maxed-out 15" (except the HD) and I think it's exceptional. It's my day-to-day workhorse so couldn't live with the smaller screen size. If Apple had still made a 17" model I would have taken that instead, but the retina screen is superb. As always with these things, it's horses for courses: if you don't need the extra screen size or need something more portable, then go with the 13".

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Hi all,

After 5 years reading this forum, I am finally registered.

Coming from a 2008 Macbook, I am ready to purchase my next laptop that will last me the next 5 years and beyond.

I do need some help deciding between the 13" or the 15"
Whichever one i decide to get will be the maxed out one.

13" will be 3.0 8GB 768GB
15" will be 2.8 16GB 768GB

Overall, I know the 15" is the better and faster machine, but that doesnt really factor in much since i am a very basic user who mainly uses a laptop to browse the web.

Sometimes i would take my laptop ti different places, like work, weekend trips, and maybe during vacation, most of the time, the machine will sit at home.

I do use an external display when I am at home and on my desk.

This will be my only machine, I dont have an iPad.

Hope this is enough info for you guys to help me decide.

I thank everyone for their input on their replies.

thank you Mac fans!:apple:

Do you have to go Mac? If you want something portable (I assume), go with an Asus Zenbook Prime. Very solid machine and price. It only comes in a 13" variant though. Personal preference, I guess.

LBJ23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2013
Ok guys, an update, I;ve decided to be a little smart about it and heres what i have come down to.

Option 1 - 13" RMBP i7 3.0GHz 8GB 256GB - $1899 (from Apple)

Option 2 - 15" RMPB i7 2.3Ghz 8GB 256GB - $1899 (from B&H)

thoughts?

Vulcan

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Ok guys, an update, I;ve decided to be a little smart about it and heres what i have come down to.

thoughts?

Unless you desperately need the smaller footprint of the 13", I think the 15" rMBP is a no brainer. It is a much more powerful computer that will last you longer than the 13" would.

johnhw

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009

thoughts?

Go for the 15". Higher res, bigger screen, quad-core, better graphics, you name it.

tgi

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2012
Since this 2 month old thread was resurrected, I wonder what the OP ended up getting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.