Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you upgrade to the next ipad

• Yes, I want a faster processor

Votes: 25 20.7%
  • Yes, I want the new mini form factor

Votes: 48 39.7%
  • Yes, I always upgrade

Votes: 22 18.2%
  • Only if the processor is much faster

Votes: 14 11.6%
  • Only if it has a better camera or other upgraded feature

Votes: 14 11.6%
  • No, im happy with the 4

Votes: 34 28.1%

• Total voters

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Im interested to know, assuming it will be out after summer at point, and will have A7X and the mini design, would you upgrade? What would make you upgrade and what would deter you from upgrading?

arefbe

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2010
I'll keep my iPad 4. It has one advantage the iPad 5 doesn't have. It's paid for.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
Just purchased a 2, which suits my needs perfectly, but that would be a yes if I had the money. We'll see. I usually only upgrade once there is a noticable design change (plus internal upgrades), and this would be the case with this scenario. It would be tempting!

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
mini with retina display and I'm sold.

How bout the processor, size and weight, battery life, etc. etc.

I will not buy it just for retina in itself, other factors need to be considered.

----------

I'll keep my iPad 4. It has one advantage the iPad 5 doesn't have. It's paid for.

I do not think selling the 4 and going with the 5 will be something that will stop people regardless the 4 is already paid for. I do not think $400 is out of the question with selling the 16gb model so cash outlay for 5 should not be too bad.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Always Upgrade.

Just for the fun of it.

Yet I don't sell the prior model until I'm satisfied the upgrade is advantageous to me. That holds true for All Apple Hardware I buy.

Redrum509

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2012
I upgrade every cycle. Have done this since first gen. I just sold my iPad 4 to either get a iPad 5 or a MacBook Air until its announced. My wife and 3 year old daughter share a iPad mini which we won't be upgrading because they don't need the newest and best.

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
I wouldn't even consider getting the bigger iPad unless it's 0.75 lb or thereabouts and the overall size is trimmed down a little. I MIGHT get a faster mini with an upgraded camera, but probably not. If the mini got a retina display, I'd definitely get it.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I just bought a Logitech KB so I don't really want to do that.

Plus I enjoy my jailbreak. on iPad 3.

Had a bad 'quality control' swap with iPad 4 (tried two, and didn't enjoy the dynamic contrast thing inherent on all of them) and returned to 3 and its perfect screen (which was hard to find on its own).

That's the other thing, if quality control is terrible like it's been in general, fuggetaboutit.

Either way, I don't think I'll sell off my 3 at this point. It's been through so much

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
I have the 3 and it does everything I want it to do. I will upgrade the day that statement can no longer hold true.

I know eventually iOS updates will slow down the system with higher system memory requirements. I am holding on to iOS 5.x that the 3 came with as long as possible.

Dzupiris

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2013
I will keep my ipad 4 32gb for two years but ill get the next ipad mini for additional memory.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Mini with either a6 or retina and i will. Love the current mini but im a sucker

Nezben

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2012
Im more than happy with the 4.

Not slow at all and the display is stunning. There is nothing apple can put in the next ipad that would make me want one.

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
Still running on an iPad 2, so definitely upgrading. Have had the money saved ever since the 3 was released; was expecting more from the 4, so it's still being saved.

Han Solo 1

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2013
I just bought the 4 and couldn't be happier with it. And when the 5 comes out I will eventually cave and buy it, and a month later the 6 will be out.

:p

Last edited:

Davidkoh

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
If they bring something fun like another form factor or so I don't see why I shouldn't sell my iPad 4 I got a month or so ago and get the iPad 5, it's always fun to upgrade.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
No plans.

It will undoubtedly have a new body, a faster processor, better cameras, stereo speakers, and all sorts of other nice things. But, as someone said earlier, the 3 does everything I want (reading and writing), so I am unlikely to upgrade this time around. I wanted the Retina display, and I got it. I don't think there is much more Apple can do here.

In fact, I am keeping my eye out for the next Nexus 10, which will probably have a better display than the iPad 5's. I doubt I will get it, though, because I am already completely satisfied with the display on the 3 (the first time in my life that I have been satisfied with a computer screen).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.