Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bloutrein

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2011
Durban
Official Gmail app has push. I find the much better integrated with the actual Gmail inbox environment than the default Mail app on the iPhone. => for me no reason not to use Gmail app especially if I want Push.

On the other hand, I'd say the Gmail app is a bit less integrated with the iPhone as the default Mail app is - i.e. for "mailto:" links, there is no way to set the Gmail app to open and start composing a message. Hopefully this would change in a future iOS version.

(remember when the Facebook app was equally as non-integrated before - Twitter being the only way to share content)

xploit

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2007
w o w

I honestly did not know about this. I have push and thought everyone had it. So why do some have it? Whats the reason for shutting it off to others? That cut off date was for any new user? New gmail user or new device or new push request?

I replaced my iP5 about 1 week before the jailbreak went out. The store gave me a new phone and I still have push gmail. So does this mean its with me for whatever phone I get next?

X-

xploit

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2007
I honestly did not know about this. I have push and thought everyone had it. So why do some have it? Whats the reason for shutting it off to others? That cut off date was for any new user? New gmail user or new device or new push request?

I replaced my iP5 about 1 week before the jailbreak went out. The store gave me a new phone and I still have push gmail. So does this mean its with me for whatever phone I get next?

X-

BY THE GRACE OF GOD I guess that means it was prolly right before the jan30 cut off. I feel so lucky! But still.. will this be gone if I get the next iPhone ?

X-

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
An alternative is the app named 'Boxcar.'

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/boxcar/id321493542

You give it your Gmail password and it checks it frequently and IT sends you a push notice when you have mail. You can then set your iPhone's mail to a 'manual' schedule and only check it when Boxcar tells you to.

It's not quite as perfect as real push email, but it's really darned close. If you want to keep using Gmail it's a good compromise.
While Boxcar is a good tool for that (and other similar things)--even though their service has been having somewhat regular outages/delays for a while now--in the case of Gmail specifically, it might be better and simpler to just go with the official Gmail iOS app from Google and at least use that for its push notifications of new messages (and then use the regular iOS Mail app to actually interact with mail, or possibly use the Gmail app itself for that too).

M-5

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
I've been using the Mailbox app on my iPhone, and I have it connected to my Gmail account. It pushes emails to my phone.

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
I've been using the Mailbox app on my iPhone, and I have it connected to my Gmail account. It pushes emails to my phone.

If you had it set up on your prior to the 1/31/13 cutoff date, it will still work with a free account. If you were to get a new phone or a replacement phone it would not work unless you had a paid business account or use the Gmail app.

M-5

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
If you had it set up on your prior to the 1/31/13 cutoff date, it will still work with a free account. If you were to get a new phone or a replacement phone it would not work unless you had a paid business account or use the Gmail app.

I'm not sure if what you're referring to is the stock Mail app on the iPhone, but the app that I'm referring to is the "Mailbox" app by Orchestra, Inc.

It's a great app for managing emails. There was a long queue to actually have access to the app once you downloaded it, because they were slowly rolling it out to users to avoid server issues. But Dropbox recently purchased it and have been rolling it out much quicker. This app pushes emails to you and you can use your gmail account, so I think it's a great alternative to the stock mail app. Not sure how it works for people with multiple emails though.

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
I'm not sure if what you're referring to is the stock Mail app on the iPhone, but the app that I'm referring to is the "Mailbox" app by Orchestra, Inc.

It's a great app for managing emails. There was a long queue to actually have access to the app once you downloaded it, because they were slowly rolling it out to users to avoid server issues. But Dropbox recently purchased it and have been rolling it out much quicker. This app pushes emails to you and you can use your gmail account, so I think it's a great alternative to the stock mail app. Not sure how it works for people with multiple emails though.

I was referring to the stock app using exchange activesync for push mail, contacts, and calendars.

The gmail app does push mail as well.

ArizonaKid

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2005
Arizona
Apple needs to let users choose a default mail client. Especially when there are much better mail app choices versus the default mail client.

They can keep everything else locked down, and at the minimum vet mail apps that could take over as the default client.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.