Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Adam1988

macrumors regular
Original poster
I have a desktop imac late 2010 (around november) snow leopard 10.6.8 build 10k549
3.6 ghz intel core i3 4gigabyte ram

The problem is that my hdd (harddrive disk) crashed and im trying to replace it. I have looked in newegg.com bestbuy and ebay and amazon and the sockets or pins are 8 pin entrance and the cable to connect the 8 pin connector is open from the botton and all the hard drives i have looked for are closed and are not open so i am having a real hard time to actually buy or get a identical hard drive disk, where can i buy or get this hard drive disk? The time for whoever reads this and helps me with my issue, it will be super apreciated! Thank you very much!

Spects of the hard drive disk that has the default imac is a

500 gigabyte storage
Western digital - caviar blue

Attachments

• IMG_2730.JPG
    IMG_2730.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 1,200
Last edited:

dannylillhtc

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2012
uk somewhere
any normal sata 2 hard disk should work fine the connectors are all the same the fact that they are open or closed is irrelevant sata is a standard and any will fit.

Adam1988

macrumors regular
Original poster
any normal sata 2 hard disk should work fine the connectors are all the same the fact that they are open or closed is irrelevant sata is a standard and any will fit.

I uploaded an image of the connector for the 8 pins.
My problem is, that i dont know where to get that type of
hard drive disk i really need it im using my dads imac and
i really need my imac to be fixed and if there is any links on where to get the HDD equally to the one that came with my imac it will be greatfully appreciated!

Thank you! :D

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
File the tab off the plug so it fits in the hard drive socket.... did the same thing a few months back , worked for me .

dannylillhtc

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2012
uk somewhere
I uploaded an image of the connector for the 8 pins.
My problem is, that i dont know where to get that type of
hard drive disk i really need it im using my dads imac and
i really need my imac to be fixed and if there is any links on where to get the HDD equally to the one that came with my imac it will be greatfully appreciated!

Thank you! :D

there shouldnt be anything plugged into them pins........... it shouldnt make a difference if a drive has them pins or not. normally those pins are used for limiting the drive speed or setting master/slave (redundant from ide days) any sata hard disk will work

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
there shouldnt be anything plugged into them pins........... it shouldnt make a difference if a drive has them pins or not. normally those pins are used for limiting the drive speed or setting master/slave (redundant from ide days)

I believe the 2010 iMac uses those pins to read the temperature of the drive.

macthefork

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2013
I believe the 2010 iMac uses those pins to read the temperature of the drive.

Yep, it does. Although they're not needed, if certain pins are shorted (which sets the HDD temp to 0º), or a software "fix" such as HDD Fan Control (costs) or smcfancontrol, (free) is installed to keep the fan speed down. A search can be done for directions on which pins to short, although I'd probably use one of the software fan control methods and just install a regular SATA HDD.

An alternative would be to search Amazon or New Egg for the exact mfg. model number on your failed drive and see if you can find a new replacement. If you've already done this just go with any SATA drive and software fan fix.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
wierd though as my 2008 24" dont have them was it just a limited run of imacs that needed this connector ? mine has the drive temp sensor fixed to the drive surface.

Yep it was some 2009 and all 2010 models that had it. 2008 and earlier used the small clip on sensor on the little piece of plastic that never stays stuck on, and the 2011 models use a modified firmware to read the temperature over the SATA cable. No idea what the 2012 ones have.

dannylillhtc

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2012
uk somewhere
Yep it was some 2009 and all 2010 models that had it. 2008 and earlier used the small clip on sensor on the little piece of plastic that never stays stuck on, and the 2011 models use a modified firmware to read the temperature over the SATA cable. No idea what the 2012 ones have.

ahh ok, makes some sense now thanks

macthefork

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2013
The small bluetooth board is located at the top left of your imac. Maybe you disconnected an antenna cable or the data cable when you had the screen off.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Thank you guys now my imac is working amazingly but my bluetooth is not working anymore:(

i dont know how to fix it i tried everything rebooting every single thing but it doesnt work bluetooth setup services never popped out

:(
d:

Chances are you didn't put the cable in. BT is connected to the USB header, which is the long black connector just above the HDD fan.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.