Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kuurozaki

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2013
I'm thinking to expand my MacBook air 11" storage and I'm thinking to get a usb thumb drive which I can just plug and forget, I don't mind having only one usb ports left. But I stumbled upon this elago Mobile Nano II USB 2.0 microSDHC Flash Memory Card Reader where I can use micro sd card instead. So, now I'm confused as to which one to get.

I was thinking to get Sandisk Cruzer Fit 32GB at first since it is the maximum disk capacity they provide for the cruzer fit family but if I decided to get the elago mobile nano II I can use 64gb micro sdhc card instead.

Which one is better? Also in term of the read and write speed.

Product Link Here for reference (Amazon):
Sandisk Cruzer Fit 32GB: [1] http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Cruzer-Flash-Drive-SDCZ33-032G-B35/dp/B00812F7O8/
Elago Mobile Nano II: [2] http://www.amazon.com/elago-Mobile-microSDHC-Memory-Reader/dp/B002HGFKR8

Last edited:

josephmccutchen

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2010
South Korea
I'm thinking to expand my MacBook air 11" storage and I'm thinking to get a usb thumb drive which I can just plug and forget, I don't mind having only one usb ports left. But I stumbled upon this elago Mobile Nano II USB 2.0 microSDHC Flash Memory Card Reader where I can use micro sd card instead. So, now I'm confused as to which one to get.

I was thinking to get Sandisk Cruzer Fit 32GB at first since it is the maximum disk capacity they provide for the cruzer fit family but if I decided to get the elago mobile nano II I can use 64gb micro sdhc card instead.

Which one is better? Also in term of the read and write speed.

Product Link Here for reference (Amazon):
Sandisk Cruzer Fit 32GB: [1] http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Cruzer-Flash-Drive-SDCZ33-032G-B35/dp/B00812F7O8/
Elago Mobile Nano II: [2] http://www.amazon.com/elago-Mobile-microSDHC-Memory-Reader/dp/B002HGFKR8

First question: how big is the drive in your MacBook Air? Could you afford to upgrade it?

Second: Thumb drives (at least in my experience) are slow at copying files. For just a few GB, no problem. I would only use sdhc cards for pictures/video, nothing else.
An external HDD would be better, especially if you have lots of data (movies, pictures, etc.)

Bossworld

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2007
I use one of these http://www.mymemory.co.uk/USB-Flash-Drives/Integral/Integral-32GB-Fusion-USB-Flash-Drive

I've got a 2011 128GB 11". Fits nicely and doesn't jut out more than the magsafe. My only problem is the speed. I originally bought it for use with VM Box or Boot camp (if poss) but it's just far too slow.

At the moment I've created a symlink to the 'Mobile Applications' folder in iTunes as I've got a 64GB 4S, the only irritating thing with that is although iTunes can read from the symlink, it can't write to it. Therefore, with the regular updates for iOS Apps, it's quickly becoming a chore to temporarily rename it and then C&P them over.

kuurozaki

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2013
First question: how big is the drive in your MacBook Air? Could you afford to upgrade it?

Second: Thumb drives (at least in my experience) are slow at copying files. For just a few GB, no problem. I would only use sdhc cards for pictures/video, nothing else.
An external HDD would be better, especially if you have lots of data (movies, pictures, etc.)
My current MBA 11" storage capacity is 64gb. I don't like the idea of upgrading the SSD because its kind of expensive for me.

I was planning to store movies (for temporary only so I can watch movie in my MBA while I'm on the move which I will delete after I finished watching it hence I won't be storing it for long term) and musics in the thumbdrives, and probably my dropbox files as well. External HDD seems like the best option here but I"m looking for something that is small (hence plug and forget, whereas if I bought ext HDD I will still need to carry the ext HDD around). I heard that SDHC card has better write/read speed compared to thumb drives, is there any compatibility issues or any downsides if I use it with my MBA 11"?

OWC makes an upgrade for your primary drive that would be much more efficient. What's the project budget? :)
Hmm, never heard of OWC, it looks promising but it does increases your MBA size. How does it work anyway? does it use USB slot? Btw, I'm looking for something below $100.

I use one of these http://www.mymemory.co.uk/USB-Flash-Drives/Integral/Integral-32GB-Fusion-USB-Flash-Drive

I've got a 2011 128GB 11". Fits nicely and doesn't jut out more than the magsafe. My only problem is the speed. I originally bought it for use with VM Box or Boot camp (if poss) but it's just far too slow.

At the moment I've created a symlink to the 'Mobile Applications' folder in iTunes as I've got a 64GB 4S, the only irritating thing with that is although iTunes can read from the symlink, it can't write to it. Therefore, with the regular updates for iOS Apps, it's quickly becoming a chore to temporarily rename it and then C&P them over.
This is exactly what I have in mind, a small thumb drive which I can just plug and forget, I was thinking to get Sandisk Cruzer Fit in the first place which has the same size as the one that you use, but I was wondering if I go for the Micro SDHC, will I get better speed or is it just the same since if I decided to go for the Micro SD I can get the 64gb one.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
Hmm, never heard of OWC, it looks promising but it does increases your MBA size. How does it work anyway? does it use USB slot? Btw, I'm looking for something below $100.
OWC is a very prevalent company when it comes to Mac hardware/upgrades. I've never used one of their products myself, but I've seen a lot of others on this forum do so... I wouldn't hesitate to purchase from them, aside from their prices are a tad steep IMO.

What he/she linked to is a replacement SSD (i.e. replacing your 64GB flash storage). You'd have to open up your MacBook Air, but it's a quick and painless process. It's advantageous in that 1) it's potentially faster/speedier, and 2) it won't take up a USB port.

Alternatively, find a [working] 128GB or 256GB used on eBay (pulled from a broken MBA, for example) and it'd be likely cheaper than the OWC option. You could then sell your 64GB to recuperate the costs.

Good luck!

kuurozaki

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2013
Thanks for all the suggestion guys, I think I will go for the MicroSDXC Card option instead since SSD is too expensive for me and it has 64gb capacity option compared to the flash drive that is only limited to 32GB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.