Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dopeytree

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
UK
I have an iPad mini from three on contract just wondering if it is unlocked?
It is brand new never been unwrapped from plastic so not activated etc.

How do I tell without swapping in another SIM card?

j_maddison

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2003
Nelson, Wales
It will be locked to the network.

Unless the device is subsidised well, or it offers a better payment option for you as opposed to paying upfront, then I'd always buy from Apple or a third party as opposed to directly from the network. They might unlock it for a free

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Unlocked.

I say this as several people at work took advantage of 'deals' 3 orange and tmobile and there all unlocked.

j_maddison

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2003
Nelson, Wales
May be hit and miss

Or a customer complaints issue, usually the networks don't do something unless they have to

Then again, if you're tied into a 24 month deal, they'd be getting their money regardless, so perhaps they've just stopped locking them

J400uk

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2008
Bought one which is supposedly locked to EE, what's the process to unlock please if anyone knows?

awair

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2011
Typically the iPad is not locked, regardless of purchase method. That doesn't mean to say it's not possible.

My suggestion as to why the carriers would not bother is due to the revenue stream.

If I buy a phone, the number I use is important, so remaining available overseas on the same number generates additional (premium) revenue. Conversely, the number assigned to the iPad is irrelevant, but I'm not going to make or receive calls.

If I change the SIM in my phone, the carrier 'loses' money. On a tablet, I, and I suspect many, will not pay for data roaming. So locking is not such a priority.

Two contradictiory arguments but both support the general practise of not locking the iPad.

J400uk

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2008
Yep seemed it wasn't locked in the end, worked fine with the O2-UK SIM I just tried so obviously not restricted to EE :D

Wonder why it was sold as been locked

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.