Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

google_now_android-250x515.jpg
Last week, Google apparently accidentally leaked a promotional video revealing that its Google Now app will be coming to iOS. Google Now is currently an Android-only app designed to automatically integrate relevant bits of information such as weather, traffic, appointments, and more into users' lives. The video was quickly removed, but Google had not issued a statement on its appearance.

iPhone Hacks now points to a Tweet from Techmeme editor Mahendra Palsule noting that Google Chairman Eric Schmidt was asked about Google Now coming to iOS at the company's Big Tent event in India today. According to the report, Schmidt suggested that whether or not Google Now comes to the App Store is currently up to Apple's reviewers. The exchange between Schmidt and The Guardian editor Alan Rusbridger appears nearly 18 minutes into the interview (via TechCrunch):
Q: When can I get Google Now on my iPhone?

A: On your iPhone? You'll need to discuss that with Apple. Apple has a policy of approving or disapproving apps that are submitted into its store, and some of the apps we make they approve and some of them they don't. They recently did approve Google Maps, thank goodness. [laughter] And without being too obnoxious, you have excellent vendors of Android choices for you in London, from many different suppliers.

Q: So, has Apple got a problem with Google Now?

A: That was an ambiguous statement. Does Apple have a problem with Google, or Google Now? [laughter]

Q: Sorry...Google Now. Capital letter.

A: Let me not talk about the specifics. I don't think they're particularly worried about Google Now.
Apple and Google obviously have had a contentious relationship as competition between iOS and Android has intensified in recent years. While Apple has generally approved Google's apps submitted to the App Store, there have in some cases been significant delays, as seen with Google Voice remaining in limbo for over a year before finally receiving approval.

Update 11:27 AM: Apple has informed CNET that Google has not submitted an iOS version of Google Now to the App Store for review.

Update 3:00 PM: Google has admitted to CNET that it has "not submitted Google Now to Apple's App Store."

Article Link: Eric Schmidt on Google Now for iOS: 'You'll Need to Discuss That With Apple' [Updated]

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
I think I'll pass. I don't want Google's gimmicky spyware on my iPhone constantly burning up my battery so Google can continuously collect data on everything about me and profit off of my info and privacy without paying me.

And they definitely are not going to be allowed to track my children on their phones corrupting their minds with all the corporate advertising Google is fond of blasting all around the web.

By the way Schmidt, it's funny that on Android your actual competition (companies with Ad Blocking apps) seems to be the only apps specifically outlawed from Android and actually enforced. Tons of malware ok to leave in the Play Store but you sure made sure to remove all the ad blockers. Wow.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-03-21 at 11.58.34 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-03-21 at 11.58.34 AM.png
    27.8 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:

AlphaVictor87

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Saint Louis, MO
This is the one thing i don't like about apple. They have the right to just not approve an app if they feel it causes competition or as i think apple puts it "confusions" between two competing apps and obviously theirs would win every time.

If they were confident in their products, they would approve every app as long as it passed their actual functionality specifications.

hasanahmad

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2009
Apple insistance of keeping full control of its ecosystem is the reason all apps work so well on iOS and also the reason future services which require full OS integration will be the deathknell of iOS

NoNothing

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2003
This is the one thing i don't like about apple. They have the right to just not approve an app if they feel it causes competition or as i think apple puts it "confusions" between two competing apps and obviously theirs would win every time.

If they were confident in their products, they would approve every app as long as it passed their actual functionality specifications.

This is the thing I dislike about Google. Eric never once said they submitted the app for approval. It is easier to blame Apple.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California

Do you still think this is true? Heck we have so many map apps, podcasting apps, weather apps, stock apps etc that compete and are better in some cases than Apples own products.

rusty2192

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
Kentucky
I'm sure it was just a coincidence that that video "leaked" out. Perfect opportunity for him to take a cheap shot at Apple. :rolleyes:

And I too want to know if the app has even been submitted.

reyalP

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2012
I think I'll pass. I don't want Google's gimmicky spyware on my iPhone.

Agreed! I wish they would never have let google maps onto the platform. Apples Maps will be better if enough people continue to use it.

ammonkapow

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2012
Do you still think this is true? Heck we have so many map apps, podcasting apps, weather apps, stock apps etc that compete and are better in some cases than Apples own products.

If they didn't mind competition, they would let users decide default apps.

CBJammin103

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2007
Louisiana, United States
If Apple released something identical to Google Now there would be a media firestorm about invasion of privacy.

Instead Google "accidentally leaks" the product and Apple gets railed for having a walled garden.

:rolleyes:

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
I think I'll pass. I don't want Google's gimmicky spyware on my iPhone.

I can't wait to get it! If it works as good as advertised, this is incredible.

if it was Apple Now, we would have been all about how this changes everything again! Remember Siri?

UnfetteredMind

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2012

Do you have examples where they've actually done this? There are certainly plenty of examples of Apps that compete with Apples that have been approved and are in the App Store. So I guess my real question is, is this a real or imagined "problem"?

Superken7

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2011
I think that, from what he says, it can be deduced that they either have already submitted it for review, or they are about to. Either way, it is or will be ultimately on Apple's hands to make the app available.

jkichline

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
Apple has a list of guidelines that are pretty straightforward that the rest of us have no problem following. So maybe try reading that and stop sounding like a sniveling, whiny moron.

furqan8421

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2007

While true they don't provide any integration through no fault of their own

For example, I don't believe any GPS app lets you view the map data while the screen is locked, they don't let you use Siri, and I don't believe they show the next available turn (though I could be wrong on this) on the top of the display while you are using another app or on the home screen

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
You know, if Apple just published a list of apps they've reviewed or will review and the current status of all of them, that'd make it a lot easier to know if the ball is in Google's field or Apple's on this.

Apple could have a simple "opt out" button on iTunes Connect for developers who'd like to keep their app's existence a secret from competitors.

apollo1444

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2011
mexico
Arrogant attitude much? all that long explanation about apple being douchebags with apps just say at the end that apple doesn't give a crap about google now?

you know apple aren't douchebags against google, maybe it's their devs who aren't able to write good enough apps for the iOS user experience? like their laggy google maps app? (which i love by the way, but it lags like a motherf... anyway)

dvoros

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2010
Apple worried

:( Apple should be worried. They are falling behind in many areas. Smartphones and software as examples. The next iPhone release is minor with a whole year ahead to wait for the next major release. As for software, when has iLife and iWork been updated. They don't even discuss software enhancements any more. Nothing exciting here. The iWatch??? Give me a break.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Schmidt is a douche. Is he going to continually make the same statement with every software they make for ios? Time for some new material.

I don't know - is Phil going to keep making uninformed and uneducated comments about Android every time a new phone comes out?

What do you expect him to say? He was asked a question. He didn't bring it up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.