Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jimbo47

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
1) The Walmart in my town will never see this as the only people who shop there are the town scum who spend their government assistance money on drugs so they can't even afford smart phones, let alone afford to provide food for the children they keep having every 9 months to receive MORE welfare.
2) The self checkouts are always filled with people who take their entire months worth of groceries through them, which means its usually faster to go through a line with an employee ringing things up.
3) Unless the app doesn't require a data connection, this will be next to impossible to use. I know any store I go in I lose Verizon's signal as soon as I get inside. Stores will need to set up a network extender thing or at the very least a wifi network.
4) As somebody else said, this is loss preventions' worst nightmare.

NedBookPro

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2011
LOL, this from a guy who names himself after an Apple product.

That's right.
"Ned" was already taken, so I had to get creative, and I didn't feel like using Ned1965. Is that okay by you?

You can also see that I do use the product(s) extensively.

Maybe it's just me, but since Jobs isn't in the picture anymore, apple seems to be losing it. I'm certainly not the only one who has that feeling.

They are also losing a lot of customers. Many people I know that were hard core in 2010, are now on android. I'm holding out - for the moment.

That said, I don't just blindly accept everything they do, or anything they say. I use my own judgement. Anything else would just be foolish.

coffeemadmanUK

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2012
United Kingdom
Except we don't know if there is technology behind the technology. Shrinkage has been a huge issue for retailers for years (although most shoplifters are employees). They are not about to make it easier for people to steal. I doubt they are doing these tests based on full faith that their customers are honorable people.

We assume they don't track the items or customers but recall that story a few months ago about someone @ an Apple store who went though the motions of buying via the App, but didn't actually checkout. He walked out of the store and was then promptly held for shoplifting. Even though it looked like he was buying, employees knew he didn't pay for the item. Clearly it would be counterproductive if they told people how they know who has paid and who hasn't.

There was a lot of acting suspiciously with him though. I certainly didn't get stopped and there isn't nearly as much security as a Sainsbury's Local as in an Apple store. The two types of store are not comparable.

Brother Esau

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
Well, I foresee a huge amount of lay offs coming for tens of thousands of Walmart Employees in the not so distant future as this application matures and is widely adopted throughout wally world.

Everyone thinks this is cool? In the end, the majority of these huge corporations and chains will essentially do away with the majority of their workforce with technology and apparently, everyone is cheering them on:confused:

Has anyone walked into a 24hr Grocery Store at night over the past couple of years and witnessed that there are no longer "People" working the check out isles anymore and it is all self check out? This would be case in point.

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
Why doesn't apple just do NFC "tap and go" or "paywave" like Visa and MasterCard do, and just get on with it?

Oh that's right - Apple decided not to use NFC technology in their phones, when others did, and most people in this forum didn't think it was necessary - because apple is always right.

Now you need yet another app to do what one Visa or MasterCard app would do for any purchases.

And all the fan boys think its "the best thing ever".
I'm just bracing myself for all the "apple can do no wrong" people to shoot me down.

Madness.

Not just Apples decision ... Your bank needs to support it as well and release an app which can make use of NFC.

Beerstalker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2011
Peoria, IL
I have a brother in law who is a Walmart Store Assistant manager. We talked about the self checkout lanes not that long ago because I noticed the local Walmart I shop at was putting self checkout lanes back in (they had them before and took them out about 2-3 years ago). He said they were originally removed for the same thought many here have had, that people used them to steal product.

He said after further investigation Walmart found that really wasn't the case. He said very little theft actually occurs in the self-checkout lanes, and a lot of the stuff that does it truly an accident. They have reviewed tapes and seen where people forget they have stuff underneath the cart (which happens in the regular lanes too), run an item over a scanner, but fail to realize it didn't scan, etc. I guess between the employee sitting there watching the self-checkout stations, and the additional security cameras around them, people either are too afraid to try, or the people using self-checkout just tend to be more honest.

Also, he said that while the self-checkout stuff does weigh the items when you scan them, it isn't really checking that weight. It just looks to see that for every item you scan there is an increase in weight on the shelf. It doesn't actually compare that increase in weight to some database that says how much each item should weigh, that would be much too complicated. Think of how often some items change packaging, or the items that have stuff like "limited time 20% more free", etc. that would result in the same product and barcode having different weights.

I guess the majority of theft is employees like others have mentioned, or people who are so bold they just put the items in their clothing, or just carry it in the open, and walk out the door without going near the checkout. This is why I am suprised Walmart still allows you to checkout in some of the other locations like Electronics, Pharmacy, or Automotive. I guess if you just walk out the door with stuff most employees just assume you paid in one of those other departments.

As far as why you can't pay right in this app, my guess is because Apple would consider it an in app purchase and want their 30% or whatever their rate is.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Tap a payment device, instead of swiping?

Mine have it. Have used it. Pointless tech. Im eager for the NFC buzz to die off.

That seems more pointless than "Google Wallet" type of things. But if you're just talking about the NFC for payments thing dying, sure. It isn't like it's used all that often.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
That seems more pointless than "Google Wallet" type of things. But if you're just talking about the NFC for payments thing dying, sure. It isn't like it's used all that often.
NFC in cards, NFC in cellphones. All around.

Imaging scanner is cheaper and more available than NFC. The workflow is simliar.

Unlock handset, choose app, authenticate, choose payment source, hold device upto imager/NFC reader.

There's no difference, the last step is the same in both scenarios. Except that there is less cost and complexity with the imaging scanner solution than the NFC solution, both in the handset and for the retailers.

With that said... my physical wallet still feels faster and more convenient than the above.

Sure, Starbucks card is kinda fun and unique... but it's just a novelty. *shrug*

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
NFC in cards, NFC in cellphones. All around.

Imaging scanner is cheaper and more available than NFC. The workflow is simliar.

Unlock handset, choose app, authenticate, choose payment source, hold device upto imager/NFC reader.

There's no difference, the last step is the same in both scenarios. Except that there is less cost and complexity with the imaging scanner solution than the NFC solution, both in the handset and for the retailers.

With that said... my physical wallet still feels faster and more convenient than the above.

Sure, Starbucks card is kinda fun and unique... but it's just a novelty. *shrug*

I agreed with the whole payment idea. I can use NFC as a payment around here, but overall it doesn't seem to be catching on.

NFC does more than just payment, though.

NedBookPro

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2011
Not just Apples decision ... Your bank needs to support it as well and release an app which can make use of NFC.

This is true... but it's the bank that would need only to support it. I was listening to a CEO of a bank saying they'd like to introduce it, and it's the future. My feeling is that if apple pushed it, it would come.

All our supermarkets, most petrol (gas) stations, and a lot of retailers already have "tap and go" / "paywave" facilities.

All we'd then need is electronic drivers license on our phones, and we'd never have to carry a wallet. A true electronic wallet.

This is 2013 after all.

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
This is true... but it's the bank that would need only to support it. I was listening to a CEO of a bank saying they'd like to introduce it, and it's the future. My feeling is that if apple pushed it, it would come.

All our supermarkets, most petrol (gas) stations, and a lot of retailers already have "tap and go" / "paywave" facilities.

All we'd then need is electronic drivers license on our phones, and we'd never have to carry a wallet. A true electronic wallet.

This is 2013 after all.

NATWEST in the UK supplies an NFC case for the iPhone for payments.

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
It makes me happy to see my gov not wasting money on new tech. Since they produce nothing they dont need cutting edge tech. Xp is just fine for them.
If you think so then you might not know much about how the state or city uses technology for everyday tasks like tolls, public computer access and office terminals, just to name a few.

It's not fun having a government job where you use a computer running outdated software on a windows XP computer to scan forms and applications for things like public school's free and reduced lunch programs.

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
Please tell me how they could "take advantage or integrate technology" and end up with a better sports team.

Your problem is that your government gave millions of dollars to a private, profit seeking corporation, and was able to bamboozle the ignorant citizens into thinking it was a good use of public money. It has zero to do with technology. It has everything to do with idiots who elect corrupt governments.
Did you even read what I posted...? I never said we should spend money on tech to get a better sports team...... I was just pointing out that government officials are constantly spending tax money on stupid frivolous things like that new ballpark with A/C instead of putting it to good use and maybe using it to update the computers or POS used for government purposes.

Instead of being quick to point out my problems and call me ignorant or an idiot how about you let the words you're reading sink in.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
1) The Walmart in my town will never see this as the only people who shop there are the town scum who spend their government assistance money on drugs so they can't even afford smart phones, let alone afford to provide food for the children they keep having every 9 months to receive MORE welfare.
2) The self checkouts are always filled with people who take their entire months worth of groceries through them, which means its usually faster to go through a line with an employee ringing things up.
3) Unless the app doesn't require a data connection, this will be next to impossible to use. I know any store I go in I lose Verizon's signal as soon as I get inside. Stores will need to set up a network extender thing or at the very least a wifi network.
4) As somebody else said, this is loss preventions' worst nightmare.

But, your weekly Tea Party meetings are fun, right?

Seriously - your post is hate-filled.

LivingtheDream

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2013
New iPhone App www.swiftshopperapp.com works in any store

With Swift Shopper scan all your items into your phone as you put them into your cart. Checkout with your smartphone and scan the barcodes right off the screen. No need to take any items out of the cart, just hand the cashier your cell phone and a few swipes of the screen later you're checked out!

Jimbo47

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
But, your weekly Tea Party meetings are fun, right?

Seriously - your post is hate-filled.

That was kind of the point of it. It definitely wasn't filled with love. While I'm sure not every Walmart is like this, my local one is.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
But you still have to wait in line to pay & those lines are always super long because they one have two cashiers all the time...

What part of self checkout station did you miss. At that point you are punching in a ticket number ans swiping a card. Takes seconds, not minutes.

----------

That's exactly where I'm confused here. I'm feeling like if we have to go to a checkout station then it would seem like more work to put items into your basket, then scan each one into the iPhone app, then go to a self-checkout station. What's convenient about that?

They have these overseas as well. The process is quite simple really. You grab a shopping cart and either open your bags or grab some and open them. You wander around grabbing what you need and scan it as you put it in a bag. Then when you have everything you go to a station where you generally have to put the bags on a scale to weigh them to make sure they match the expected weight when you punch/transmit your ticket number. Few moments for coupons and id check for liquor perhaps and then you are good to close out, swipe your pay card and grab your stuff.
Thanks no longer than going to a regular checkout and you don't have your bread crushed by some teenage bag boy that isn't paying attention.

----------

Loss prevention nightmare.

Not to much when the higher priced items, even perhaps liquor etc, is not allowed for the app. Like how at Apple its only cases etc and on at a frigging time

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I'd be for a 5 items or less type version of this where you can just leave the store and show your phone to somebody at the door. I might actually use walmart then if I can be in and out for short shopping trips.

That's really what this was set up for. The folks that need to grab milk, bread, two or three other things. You can do bigger if you like but the idea was for those quick trips get you in and out faster. And without having to deal with the jerk that brings 20 things to the 15 or less express lane

----------

And? You don't like it or something? Is not Apple solution a proprietary one? If you don't like Google Wallet, use Visa's NFC payment system (it will be integrated in all future Samsung phones)

Apple's solution isn't NFC. You pay with the credit card you have in file with your apple Id for iTunes. I believe they just added being able to pay with a store gift card (the silver not the iTunes Store). Although I could be confusing that with the emailed gift cards you can put in passbook

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
k so question 1 : how is the cashier going to be able to check off every item the customer scanned on their phone, and make sure they didn't throw in anything extra when someone buys say...200-300 items, a bunch of groceries and stuff?

question 2 : how it gonna get bagged if it doesnt go through the belt? is everyone going to pull over and start grabbing their things and bagging them?

1. A cashier isn't. The self service stations even now you the approximate weight of the scanned items to tell if its likely something extra is in there. If something seems off an employee that should be stationed in the area is alerted and verifies everything is okay. And the app probably has a limit on the number of items.

2. You bag it as you go along

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.