Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Mar 21, 2013, 10:37 AM   #26
hasanahmad
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by newagemac View Post
I think I'll pass. I don't want Google's gimmicky spyware on my iPhone.

If Google now is a gimmicky spyware, sure looks like its what should be on every phone

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/...-a-few-tricks/
hasanahmad is online now   8 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2013, 10:38 AM   #27
Aspasia
macrumors 65816

How long will Google Now last? As long as Google Reader?
Aspasia is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2013, 10:38 AM   #28
ovrlrd
macrumors 65816

Sounds like a load of BS from Schmidt as usual when Apple is involved.

He is very careful how he words it all. All apps (and updates) submitted to the App Store go under review before they are added, no matter who it comes from. Schmidt puts a spin on this so it sounds like Apple is being bad (fuel for the flames). The fact is there is no evidence that Apple is going to deny this app, but it is to Schmidt's advantage to talk about the submission process in a way that makes it sound like Apple is denying it. It puts pressure on Apple as a competitor, and that's all that matters in business.

I am sure in a week we will see Google Now released on iOS, and it won't be a surprise to anyone, not even Schmidt.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 10:40 AM   #29
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovrlrd View Post
Sounds like a load of BS from Schmidt as usual when Apple is involved.

He is very careful how he words it all. All apps (and updates) submitted to the App Store go under review before they are added, no matter who it comes from. Schmidt puts a spin on this so it sounds like Apple is being bad (fuel for the flames). The fact is there is no evidence that Apple is going to deny this app, but it is to Schmidt's advantage to talk about the submission process in a way that makes it sound like Apple is denying it. It puts pressure on Apple as a competitor, and that's all that matters in business.

I am sure in a week we will see Google Now released on iOS, and it won't be a surprise to anyone, not even Schmidt.
No - that's YOUR interpretation. Nothing he said is factually incorrect, misleading or leading. " Apple has a policy of approving or disapproving apps that are submitted into its store, and some of the apps we make they approve and some of them they don't."

What's leading about that? Any App developer would say the same thing. And again - how SHOULD he have responded. He didn't bring up the "issue" - it was asked.
samcraig is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2013, 10:40 AM   #30
uknowimright
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
How is it spyware if you have to not only download it - but agree to the service terms? Silly comment.
cuz like Google, man
uknowimright is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2013, 10:40 AM   #31
daneoni
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaVictor87 View Post
This is the one thing i don't like about apple. They have the right to just not approve an app if they feel it causes competition or as i think apple puts it "confusions" between two competing apps and obviously theirs would win every time.

If they were confident in their products, they would approve every app as long as it passed their actual functionality specifications.
Has there been any app Google submitted that has ever been rejected?
Old Mar 21, 2013, 10:40 AM   #32
goodcow
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyalP View Post
Agreed! I wish they would never have let google maps onto the platform. Apples Maps will be better if enough people continue to use it.
Good luck. Tons of people have abandoned it and never plan on going back. It's a piece of garbage.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 10:43 AM   #33
ammonkapow
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfetteredMind View Post
Do you have examples where they've actually done this? There are certainly plenty of examples of Apps that compete with Apples that have been approved and are in the App Store. So I guess my real question is, is this a real or imagined "problem"?
Apple does not usually provide a reason for rejecting an app so it's hard to prove it. However, there are a lot of apps that were rejected for no apparent reason like "Voice Answer", a possible Siri competitor
ammonkapow is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2013, 10:43 AM   #34
bozzykid
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkichline View Post
Apple has a list of guidelines that are pretty straightforward that the rest of us have no problem following. So maybe try reading that and stop sounding like a sniveling, whiny moron.
The issue is if someone else submitted the app it would most likely already be approved. Apple just hides behind the guidelines when it comes to Google.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by daneoni View Post
Has there been any app Google submitted that has ever been rejected?
Google Voice.
bozzykid is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2013, 10:43 AM   #35
4TheLoveOfTech
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspasia View Post
Longer than Ping...
4TheLoveOfTech is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2013, 10:44 AM   #36
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

serious question, why are people so paranoid about GPS tracking? I could literally care-a-less
mattopotamus is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2013, 10:45 AM   #37
joneill55
macrumors 6502

Larry gets out once and a while off his meds. Someone please call Lary & Sergi and alert them....pronto :-)
joneill55 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2013, 10:45 AM   #38
Squilly
macrumors 68020

Well... if Maps was accepted (even though Apple admittedly said their Maps was bad), maybe Now has a chance...
Old Mar 21, 2013, 10:46 AM   #39
M-O
macrumors 6502

Apple should take a note from Steve Jobs handbook in 1997. End the silly war with the enemy and move forward.
M-O is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2013, 10:47 AM   #40
ammonkapow
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhett7660 View Post
That wasn't the question that was presented. Just the mere fact the apps are in the store tells me they don't mind competition.
The apps don't have the same access or abilities as Apple. Take web browsers for example. Safari has access to a much faster engine while the rest are forced to use a slower one. It's artificial and anticompetitive.
ammonkapow is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2013, 10:47 AM   #41
rhett7660
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by furqan8421 View Post
While true they don't provide any integration through no fault of their own

For example, I don't believe any GPS app lets you view the map data while the screen is locked, they don't let you use Siri, and I don't believe they show the next available turn (though I could be wrong on this) on the top of the display while you are using another app or on the home screen
You are correct, however the quote, that I was referencing made no reference to this. It was merely based on the fact apple could approve or disapprove if they felt it competed with one of their own apps.

If we are talking full integration then you are correct and I agree with you. They do not allow third party apps to do this yet.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 10:48 AM   #42
the8thark
macrumors 68040

Quote:
I second this. Spyware or adware, nothing from Google will ever pollute my iOS devices.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 10:48 AM   #43
Radio
In Time-Out

Love or hate google u have to admit this is great for iOS users

Choice

Now apple give us that option to pick default apps!!!
Radio is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2013, 10:49 AM   #44
chukronos
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
I don't know - is Phil going to keep making uninformed and uneducated comments about Android every time a new phone comes out?

What do you expect him to say? He was asked a question. He didn't bring it up.
If phil keeps making stupid comments, he will join schmidt in doucheville.

I expect him to answer the question, or refuse to comment. Deflecting to Apple's approval process, makes me question whether the app has even been submitted yet - judging by his answers, I doubt it. But, at least he can temporarily make it look like it is apple "screwing the pooch", instead of google.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 10:49 AM   #45
Syk
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
How do you know what Apple tracks on your phone? With iOS you don't get to see what permission apps are using? I'm pretty sure Bing and other websites track you. If you're on the web you're being tracked in some fashion.

As for Google Now I think it's great and actually helps make a smart phone even smarter because it gives you real time information about your location without you asking for it among other things.

I also expect to see Apple to release their version of it although it'll probably be iOS8 before we see it.
Syk is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2013, 10:50 AM   #46
ammonkapow
macrumors member

Quote:
Google Reader was alive for 8 years. That's not exactly a short-lived product.
ammonkapow is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2013, 10:50 AM   #47
rhett7660
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammonkapow View Post
The apps don't have the same access or abilities as Apple. Take web browsers for example. Safari has access to a much faster engine while the rest are forced to use a slower one. It's artificial and anticompetitive.
You are correct, but the app is still in the store and it is still competition for apple? No?
Old Mar 21, 2013, 10:51 AM   #48
aliensporebomb
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to aliensporebomb Send a message via Yahoo to aliensporebomb Send a message via Skype™ to aliensporebomb
Ah!

This is what it strikes me as:

Interviewer: When can I get this on my iPhone?

ES: (BIG EYEBROWS) well, NYUK NYUK, oh you kill me kid. Soon. If they agree.
HAHAHAHA! (laughing like an idiot). Did I say that?

Interviewer: Just give me a straight answer.

ES: I can't, really. HA HA HA! (EYEBROWS).

Interviewer: So basically, you're at the mercy of Apple and you thought by leaking a video you could make public opinion force their hand?

ES: HAHAHAHA! YES! HAHAHAHAHA!

Interviewer: I'm leaving.

ES: Don't go! HAHAHAHA!~
Old Mar 21, 2013, 10:52 AM   #49
Radio
In Time-Out

Quote:
Maybe as long as google maps
Radio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2013, 10:52 AM   #50
UnfetteredMind
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozzykid View Post
The issue is if someone else submitted the app it would most likely already be approved. Apple just hides behind the guidelines when it comes to Google.

----------

Google Voice.
So ... was GV reworked and resubmitted? Because it's available now. There are a bunch of Google Apps available so as long as they follow the guidelines, I would imagine they are approved.

For those devs in the crowd (I'm not), does Apple provide feedback on why your app has been rejected (if it is)? I would imagine they have to give you some sort of direction on how to correct (or at least that would make the most sense).
UnfetteredMind is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion