Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has topped the J.D. Power 2013 Wireless Smartphone Satisfaction Study, landing above competitors like Nokia, Samsung and Motorola. In fact, Apple is so well regarded that it is the only smartphone maker with a ranking above average.

The study measured satisfaction among 9,767 customers who had used their current smartphone for less than one year, and looks at performance, physical design, features and ease of operation. The firm said Apple "performs particularly well in physical design and ease of operation."

skitched-20130321-110822.jpg
The Wireless Smartphone Satisfaction Study finds that satisfaction among smartphone customers is 796 (on a 1,000-point scale), an increase of 22 points from 2012. This improvement is likely due to a growing array of new features and services being offered that are providing a seamless product experience between the operating system functions and third-party apps. While satisfaction in all factors of the smartphone customer experience increases from 2012, satisfaction has increased the most in performance (26 points), as a few key attributes, such as operating system reliability, processing speed and video/camera picture quality, have improved significantly.
Apple also led the rankings in 2009, 2010, and 2011, and it is the ninth consecutive time that Apple has led the biannual ranking. Apple links the survey prominently on its 'Why iPhone' page.

Article Link: Apple Tops J.D. Power Smartphone Satisfaction Rankings By Significant Margin

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Not everybody buys one, but those who do have an iPhone seem to like it.

Of course, that excludes most of the posters on MR's iPhone Forum!:p

:rolleyes:

pezj

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2012
I am a big fan of my iPhone 4S. Having said that... I was a bigger fan when it ran iOS5 and didn't glitch or die at 7% battery.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Strange that despite all the "lack of innovation" (and lack of a 27 inch screen) people are still the most happy with iPhones!

vmachiel

macrumors 68000
Feb 15, 2011
Holland
See this is the stuff that matters. Screw those gimmicks that you never use, when you are satisfied with something you are happier.

nazaar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2008
love my iPhone... even though (IMO) the OS needs an update, but again I'm still happy with my phone.

SILen(e

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2012
1. Good for Apple

2. I still think it should become a crime to make graphs with scales that don't start at zero

bassfingers

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2010
"People are only satisfied because of that little apple logo on the back"

-that guy

Don't be that guy

SILen(e

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2012
Significant margins ?

That's 6.9% difference on average

I'd hardly call that significant.

If all your real competitor's are around 79% satisfaction, with no competitor truly better than the others, it's definitely significant to be at 85% satisfaction.

This is a "There's Apple - and then there's the rest" graph.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Strange that despite all the "lack of innovation" (and lack of a 27 inch screen) people are still the most happy with iPhones!

Thus the reason for the iphone 5s. The average user does not care. And the Apple fan will buy regardless. Apple essentially created a cult of followers.
I would not be surprised if iOS remains basically the same because of this recognition. Why change something if people don't complain?

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Thus the reason for the iphone 5s. The average user does not care. And the Apple fan will buy regardless. Apple essentially created a cult of followers.

"Essentially" doesn't mean "Here is an irrational reason based on a stereotype, so that I don't have to change my POV to fit reality."

:D

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
That's 6.9% difference on average

I'd hardly call that significant.

It's actually much higher than a 6.9% difference because the lowest score is not 0% and the highest score is not 100%. This is actually a pretty big gap.

Now, I think you can argue that part of the is merely due to ingrained psychology. If you bought a luxury product that was touted as the best and you paid more for it too, you're much less likely to be willing to be critical about it. On the other hand, Apple has earned that halo for the time being.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.