Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

podcasts.jpg
Apple has updated its Podcasts app, adding a much desired iCloud syncing feature along with the ability to create custom stations and On-The-Go playlists.

With custom stations, users can compile their favorite podcasts into lists that will be automatically updated when new episodes are released, and a new option allows listeners to decide whether custom stations begin playing the newest or oldest unplayed episodes.

Podcasts, which was released in June of last year, received significant criticism for its inability to sync with iTunes, a problem that has been remedied with the new update. In its original form, the Podcasts app garnered quite a few negative reviews for its shortcomings, giving the app a two star rating in the App Store. Version 1.2 appears to address many of the issues users had with the app.
-Create custom stations of your favorite podcasts that update automatically with new episodes
-Choose whether your stations begin playing with the newest or oldest unplayed episode
-Your stations are stored in iCloud and kept up-to-date on all of your devices
-Create an On-The-Go playlist with your own list of episodes
-Playlists synced from iTunes now appear in the Podcasts app
-The Now Playing view has been redesigned with easier to use playback controls
-Addressed an issue with resuming playback when returning to the app
-Additional performance and stability improvements
Stations are stored in Apple's iCloud and will be synced across all iOS devices. Playlists created in iTunes now sync with the Podcasts app, and a bug has been fixed that prevented playback from resuming correctly after exiting the app.

Podcasts users may also notice a few changes to the app's interface, which is now similar in style to the native iTunes music app. Apple has done away with the skeuomorphic push-buttons and removed the reel-to-reel player hidden underneath the image for finer controls.
podcasts2.jpg
Old design on the left, New design on the right​

Podcasts
for the iPad and the iPhone is a free app that can be downloaded from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Apple Updates Podcasts iOS App With Custom Stations, Playlists, and iCloud Syncing

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I used to listen to podcasts back in the days of classic iPods... IDK why, but it seemed every show I listened to got boring or ended so I haven't listened to a podcast in years now...

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
Oh wow, the updated looks horrible! They took away the great radio look of it and made it look like OSX Finder. If this is the new look of iOS, I HATE it!
:mad:

Edit: Nevermind, you can still use the old look by going to 'Top Charts'. Thank god!

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
I got sick of this awful app and went with Downcast a month ago. Far faster and more reliable.

SamGabbay

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
We went from....
attachment.php

To...

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1876.jpg
    IMG_1876.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 17,506
  • IMG_1877.jpg
    IMG_1877.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 17,394

CptnJustc

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2007
About... friggin'... time on the iCloud syncing.

To tell the truth though, I thought the reel-to-reel skeumorphism was kind of charming. My secret shame! :(

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
Seeing the change in a decently short amount of time from the old design to the new one, I wonder if we'll see something similar in iOS 7?

We will see, but either way, Podcasts looks better than before anyways. :p

phillipduran

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
Scott Forstall would not approve of this.

All these programs being deskumorphisized. Apple needs to get control of the MCP. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.