Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Han Solo 1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 12, 2013
So I tried out XBMC last night to watch an hour-long HD show. I am running the Alpha 7 version as it was recommended to me because it allows true HD on the retina iPad.

And while it was pretty good quality, one thing I noticed is that if I pause it and come back to it after a while, whether after using other apps or simply closing the smart cover and coming back to it 10 minutes later, it will continue playing for another minute or so and then crashes.

When I restart it, it will not start from the moment it crashed, but rather from the beginning, and then I have to slide the seek bar till I find the spot I left off on. Also, when I slide the seek bar, there is no indication of minutes/seconds, but rather you just have to guesstimate where on the seek bar you want to go.

Are these things normal?

Edit: I'm on an iPad 4, 6.1.2.

Last edited:

Luis2004

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2012
Maybe it's the actual app. I tried this a while ago and it crashed a lot for me too. AVplayerHD is good.

cyber16

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2013
Did you install XBMC with HUB as well, I don't think you can with Alpha 7 version as i never tried it.
But when i installed ver 12 on both our ipad 3's we had the same type of crashes.
Remove xbmc and reinstalled without the Hub and its been good.
Also noticed the same on our two ATV2, when upgraded to 12 and used hub
Removed it and all was good once again.
Been using XBMC for about 10+ years going back to the original xbox, not new at it.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Are these things normal?

Yup, unfortunately, XBMC is pretty resource-hungry and crashes more than top AppStore players.

While I certainly recommended XBMC in the past, I don't really do it any more now that the top AppStore players have, in many respects, closed the gap, for example hardware MKV playback-wise. (Of course they still don't support some niceties like WMA Lossless or, apart from HD Player Pro, full SSA subtitles - or, for that matter, AC3 / DTS support, which very few AppStore players support any more.)

Unfortunately, the switch to the Lightning adapter in the latest-gen iDevices has also delivered a lot of damage to XBMC, which, before the switch, delivered flawless 1080p output over wired connections - but it doesn't do any more.

Finally, 50p/60p videos getting lately pretty common has also made XBMC less desirable as it's completely incapable of playing back 1080p videos with more than 30 fps with any(!) frames rendered over 30 fps. Hardware players (AVPlayerHD etc.) don't have this problem.

You could really want to give a try to any (all?) of the following players, they're excellent (with different pros and cons - please consult my dedicated articles here at MR for more info, I've published tons of them):

- HD Player Pro
- AVPlayerHD
- It's Playing

Last edited:

Luis2004

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2012
Did you install XBMC with HUB as well, I don't think you can with Alpha 7 version as i never tried it.
But when i installed ver 12 on both our ipad 3's we had the same type of crashes.
Remove xbmc and reinstalled without the Hub and its been good.
Also noticed the same on our two ATV2, when upgraded to 12 and used hub
Removed it and all was good once again.
Been using XBMC for about 10+ years going back to the original xbox, not new at it.

How do you know if you have HUB installed?

----------

Yup, unfortunately, XBMC is pretty resource-hungry and crashes more than top AppStore players.

While I certainly recommended XBMC in the past, I don't really do it any more now that the top AppStore players have, in many respects, closed the gap, for example hardware MKV playback-wise. (Of course they still don't support some niceties like WMA Lossless or, apart from HD Player Pro, full SSA subtitles - or, for that matter, AC3 / DTS support, which very few AppStore players support any more.) Unfortunately, the switch to the Lightning adapter in the latest-gen iDevices has also delivered a lot of damage to XBMC, which, before the switch, delivered flawless 1080p output over wired connections - but it doesn't do any more.

You could really want to give a try to any (all?) of the following players, they're excellent (with different pros and cons):

- HD Player Pro
- AVPlayerHD
- It's Playing

Are there any Cydia apps better than these? I'm just asking because I'm jailbroken and would like the best of the best. I'm basically looking for an app that will play .mkv flawlessly, with SRT subtitles occasionally.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Are there any Cydia apps better than these? I'm just asking because I'm jailbroken and would like the best of the best. I'm basically looking for an app that will play .mkv flawlessly, with SRT subtitles occasionally.

MKV's? Give a try to RushPlayer+. Basically, the demo version can be used without major restrictions. (Registering it will only enable using the icons in the file list view. You'll rarely need them for pure video playback.)

RushPlayer+ uses hardware MKV decoding and supports SRT.

I in no way recommend the other multimedia players (VLC, AVPlayer, VPlayer) in Cydia at all - they are all bad.

Luis2004

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2012
MKV's? Give a try to RushPlayer+. Basically, the demo version can be used without major restrictions. (Registering it will only enable using the icons in the file list view. You'll rarely need them for pure video playback.)

RushPlayer+ uses hardware MKV decoding and supports SRT.

I in no way recommend the other multimedia players (VLC, AVPlayer, VPlayer) in Cydia at all - they are all bad.

Great, thanks for the tip!

Is RushPlayer+ as good quality as XBMC for HD content?

cyber16

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2013
Luis2004
XBMC Hub is a utility xbmc & add-on plugins installer.
If you had used it you would know as their logo and favorite shortcut would be all over the home screen
google
XBMC HUB Wizard

Nice utility, yet i found it to be buggy

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.