Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

NewImage7.png
Blizzard today announced Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft, a new free-to-play collectible card game set in the Warcraft universe. In a first for Blizzard, it will be available on the iPad in addition to the Mac and PC. It appears that players will be able to play multiplayer games across platforms.
Set in the World of Warcraft universe, each Hearthstone deck will revolve around heroes of nine of the MMO's classes. At least 300 cards will be available at launch, and you'll be able to earn or buy packs. Also, you'll be able to put together your own decks and be able to "disenchant" duplicates and craft better, presumably original cards from them.

The competitive side of the game will feature one-on-one fights via Battle.Net, which, if you didn't know, is the service Blizzard uses for its PC games. We're not sure what the iPad version will use -- details are still coming out from the event.
Hearthstone is due out later in 2013, with the iPad version coming after the initial PC and Mac release. Users can register for the beta on Blizzard's website.

Article Link: Blizzard Announces 'Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft' for Mac and iPad

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
It's a playable card game, like Magic or whathaveyou.

Ya. I understand that much but this part I don't understand :

The competitive side of the game will feature one-on-one fights via Battle.Net, which, if you didn't know, is the service Blizzard uses for its PC games. We're not sure what the iPad version will use -- details are still coming out from the event.

How does one do battle one on one over the internet using cards ?

I guess I'm so used to playing the regular game ( lvl 90 warrior ) for so many years I can't see the obvious.

To use South Park words.
How does one kill someone who has no life ?

:D

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
Isn't there already a WoW card game?

Does this play like that, or is this all-new?

Does it play like Magic: The Gathering?

TheGreenBastard

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2012
Halifax
Ya. I understand that much but this part I don't understand :

How does one do battle one on one over the internet using cards ?

I guess I'm so used to playing the regular game ( lvl 90 warrior ) for so many years I can't see the obvious.

To use South Park words.
How does one kill someone who has no life ?

:D

You can't be serious, can you? Clearly you've never played Magic or other games. Pleb.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
Isn't there already a WoW card game?

Does this play like that, or is this all-new?

Does it play like Magic: The Gathering?

There is a WoW TCG, and from the screenshots, it uses the same cards. I'm guessing Heathstone = digital version of WoW TCG

RL600

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2007
Palm Beach, Florida
Blizzard rarely makes crap so I am interested by default.
This game type isn't usually something that interests me at all. I do agree with you though, I will definitely check it out, just because it is made by Blizzard. When I saw that teaser they put out a few weeks ago I was really excited, and was hoping for a neat/different RTS for Mobile/iPad. Really disappointed when I saw it was a card game. I signed up for the beta to check it out.

How about making Warcraft III & Frozen Throne compatible with the current OS Blizzard???
This. or SC1 and Brood War.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
so, after the failure of the real money auction house experiment in Diablo 3 , the quest for a revenue model to replace World of Warcraft when the last few people still playing die of shame (im pretty sure only 8 people play now, but each has a million accounts)

So now this looks like Blizzards 1st attempt at the EA, "lets screw everyone over on micro transactions" Real Racing 3 method of gaining revenue.

Free Starter pack will be useless against anyone who has spent money on expansion decks, and the expansions you buy will be made useless every other week by new decks being released so you have to keep buying new decks if you want to actually win.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
There is a WoW TCG, and from the screenshots, it uses the same cards. I'm guessing Heathstone = digital version of WoW TCG

Maybe this will light a fire under WoTC to release a full MTGO client for Mac and iPad. Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 is often too limiting.

B

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Free Starter pack will be useless against anyone who has spent money on expansion decks, and the expansions you buy will be made useless every other week by new decks being released so you have to keep buying new decks if you want to actually win.

That describes pretty much any TCG. :p

EDIT: By that token, I really like the fact that in DoTP 2013 what you can buy is limited and you can earn most of the cards simply by playing and winning.

B

Absent

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2010
Isn't there enough of these types of games around? This must have just been some easy, low cost out the door project. Really, what market is there; what level of success could they hope to achieve. Effort into this must be low if it was worth it at all to produce. Awesome!

Oh. I mean, what an inspiring cash grab!

canucksfan88

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2007
How about making Warcraft III & Frozen Throne compatible with the current OS Blizzard???

not sure if you know about this, but there is a work around for it.

go to the application icon in Applications --> show package details --> data file --> grey icon (im at work and dont remember) but it does work this way

kk1ro

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
Hopefully, the iPad version will also connect via Battle.net and be able play against the PC and Mac versions! Can't wait for this!

makingdots

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2008

They wouldn't because Warcraft 3 and Starcraft 1 are playable offline that means, lots of people would obtain it without paying through jailbreak while this Heartstone even though it's free, it's an online-only game. That means blizzard control everything. It's like what they did with Diablo 3.

1) You can't play it without logging in.
2) You can't cheat in-app purchases because all your game info, items, etc are saved on their server.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.