Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC
looks like a June/July release is possible!

I wouldn't be so sure, we still have not seen iOS 7. Last time we had a June/July release we saw the next iOS in mid March. (Always 3 months before hardware)

Maybe we still have some time for that iOS 7 event in the next few weeks, but I have not heard of any rumors about an event.

TheGreenBastard

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2012
Halifax
First comment: OMG NO FINGERPRINT SENSORZ?! NO BUY

Second comment: Teh Applez haz lost innovations!

Third comment: BETTER HAVEZ BIGGER SCREENZ PLZ

Fourth comment: Shamsung here i cum these flex cables r not innovative enuff!

Fifth comment (probably from AppleJuiced or someone): You're all idiots.

Sixth comment: APPLEZ IS DOOMED; DRIOD SO MANY NEW FEATUREZ AND INNOVATIVESION

You try too hard. Better luck next time.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
This paragraph seems unclear. Is it implying that the new iteration of the iPhone might have a fingerprint sensor?

Look at the connectors of the iPhone 5 vs "iPhone 5S" home button flex cables. The iPhone 5 only has two connection points, which is normal for a normally-open button but the "5S" has a really tiny connector with 10 connection points. That's not normal for a simple switch.

edit: I do agree that the "but" in the article makes the whole thing confusing.

Semester

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2011
]
Apple has been rumored to be adding a fingerprint sensor to the iPhone 5S in the area of the home button, but if such a feature is to be integrated into the home button itself somehow, it does seem to be apparent from this part.

Is there a "not" missing in the last sentence here?

Judging from all the other information in the article there are no clear signs of an integrated fingerprint sensor. Unless the longer flex cable would be counted as a sign, but I doubt it.

cronked

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2008
This paragraph is a little confusing. It looks like they are saying that the home button doesn't contain the fingerprint sensor but they go on to say it does, in an awkward way. It is the "but" that confuses me. My emphasis added.

"Apple has been rumored to be adding a fingerprint sensor to the iPhone 5S in the area of the home button, BUT if such a feature is to be integrated into the home button itself somehow, it does seem to be apparent from this part."

Can someone clear this up for me? I have just gotten used to sloppy journalism that I second guess everything I read now. :confused:

Thanks.

XtraSmiley

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2006
This paragraph seems unclear. Is it implying that the new iteration of the iPhone might have a fingerprint sensor?

I totally agree, very badly worded. It should read:

but if such a feature is to be integrated into the home button itself somehow, it doesn't seem to be apparent from this part.

or

but if such a feature is to be integrated into the home button itself somehow, it does seem to be the case with the extra connections.

or something to that affect. Poor writing...

iSRS

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010
New "cycle"?

Ok, correct me if I am wrong, but don't both the big two (AT&T and Verizon) allow customers to upgrade at 20 months if they sign a new 2 year agreement? (I know Verizon does, not sure on AT&T). Meaning, you get an upgrade, you sign a new 24 month contract. Then, 20 months in, where you would still have to pay a ETF, but have "paid back" the subsidy, they say, "We will forgo the last 4 months if you upgrade today and sign a new 2 year agreement" - Basically, locking you in.

Well, could Apple, in a similar move (though not exactly the same, but go with it) move to the same thing? 10 month refresh cycles? So the 5S comes out in July 2013. Then the 6 in May 2014 (when all the Verizon and AT&T launch day iPhone 5 buyers are eligible for an upgrade, but not out of contract). It could prevent any people on the fence from itching for a new device, and have a 4 month window where their cell phone provider called weekly and emailed every other day (what happened to me on Verizon waiting for the 5) with an "Upgrade NOW to this {INSERT CURRENT TOP ANDROID PHONE HERE}"

This approach (10 month refresh cycles) fits in that scenario.

Thoughts?

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Not to cast doubt on translated Asian supply chain sources, but couldn't this part just as easily be for a future iPad?

(Or Mini or iPod Touch. Even a Nano, since we see no square or circle printed on it. But only the full iPad is playing catch-up to the new design scheme, so it seems to me like the top candidate for a newly-routed button connection.)

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
I totally agree, very badly worded. It should read:

but if such a feature is to be integrated into the home button itself somehow, it doesn't seem to be apparent from this part.

or

but if such a feature is to be integrated into the home button itself somehow, it does seem to be the case with the extra connections.

or something to that affect. Poor writing...

Yep, I rephrased that section and a very key "not" got left out in the process. :)

CJK

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2007
The Mountain Empire
Somebody already mentioned it ...

... But that's an awful lot of contacts for a simple switch. (And there are corresponding traces on the flex cable ...)

Interesting!

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Not so much interested in the 5S since I'll be keeping my 5. Although any rumors about iOS 7 and the retina iPad Mini would be welcomed!

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC
Now I have to say it, "Slow news day". Maybe MR should've mentioned the Blackberry Z10 rollout today.

This was the line for the Z10 launch, it would have made a great story. :D

Attachments

• BF90jkvCEAAR-J4.jpg-large.jpeg
    BF90jkvCEAAR-J4.jpg-large.jpeg
    71.8 KB · Views: 129
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.