Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Get the griffin universal that uses AAA batteries. It's really fantastic and will work with any device that has a headphone out jack. Never buy adapters that plug into the dock connector as they will go obsolete quickly with apple's drm management and can easily break off your port!

Doesn't make sense. I wouldn't buy adapters that use a specific connector because it might be outdated in X years. But not because of DRM. That's a non-issue.

chovy

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2007
For FM transmitters, you definitely have to go the more expensive route. Not super expensive, but the cheap ones for $20 are horrible. I bought a Belkin one from Amazon for $34, and it works like a charm. Any cheaper than that, they're complete crap. FM signals here are very crowded, so I wasn't sure any would work. This one is powerful enough to completely override the signal coming through, so it works perfectly. No static, don't ever have to change the stations, etc. Of course, I have a 4S, so I don't have the lightening adapter.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0035AN31A/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

Killing me. Only one person actually answers OP questions...but its for iPhone 4...anyone recommend one for the iPHone 5? I'd rather not buy a new car just to stream from iPhone to radio.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Killing me. Only one person actually answers OP questions...

Because we are not PAID call center.

I don't know why anybody here looking for a FM xmtter when iPhone has built-in stereo bluetooth.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Fm transmitters are susceptible to interference. There is not a need to have it built in. Bluetooth can do it if your audio device has Bluetooth.

chovy

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2007
Fm transmitters are susceptible to interference. There is not a need to have it built in. Bluetooth can do it if your audio device has Bluetooth.

I don't understand what you're saying. My car is from 2001 and has the stock stereo. NO BLUETOOTH.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
I don't understand what you're saying. My car is from 2001 and has the stock stereo. NO BLUETOOTH.

A 10 years old car, I believe it's totally OK to change the head. The cheapy ones are quite good, no need to spend major$, and they come with built-in BT and USB and memory slot, all modern day amenities.

No AUX input? 'Coz there all you have to do is to buy a BT receiver.

Change iPhone (have to plug/unplug the gadget every time), or change car's stereo (fixed, once off). I know where my preference would be.

----------

An fm transmitter and radio reciever would blow the competition out of the water as well an iPod with a built in transmitter is almost a no brainer

Aren't you the same guy who just posted if next iPhone come with fingerprint sensor will sell 5 extra tons? :p

chovy

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2007
A 10 years old car, I believe it's totally OK to change the head. The cheapy ones are quite good, no need to spend major$, and they come with built-in BT and USB and memory slot, all modern day amenities.

No AUX input? 'Coz there all you have to do is to buy a BT receiver.

Change iPhone (have to plug/unplug the gadget every time), or change car's stereo (fixed, once off). I know where my preference would be.

----------

Aren't you the same guy who just posted if next iPhone come with fingerprint sensor will sell 5 extra tons? :p

I like the stock stereo. The new ones are a pain in the ass to use with all their damn buttons and digital crap. I'm old school. A line in would be nice, but there isn't one on the face. Maybe there is one on the back of the stereo.

Giuly

macrumors 68040
I like the stock stereo. The new ones are a pain in the ass to use with all their damn buttons and digital crap. I'm old school. A line in would be nice, but there isn't one on the face. Maybe there is one on the back of the stereo.

If your car stereo has six buttons for stations, and some to control the tape (or CD) as well as volume control, chances are that something like the Alpine CDE-121 will only have 2-3 more buttons - but a USB port for your iPhone, and it's controlled like a CD (or via the iPhone itself).
cde121e-1.jpg

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012

U old folks are so difficult.

Fine, I believe Belkin and a few other vendors sell FM transmitter, go Amazon and let your fingers do the walking. Just be sure to get a transmitter that gets its power from the iPhone itself else you have to deal with another tinny gadget and needs to be recharged. So much trouble, give me a headache.

chovy

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2007
U old folks are so difficult.

Fine, I believe Belkin and a few other vendors sell FM transmitter, go Amazon and let your fingers do the walking. Just be sure to get a transmitter that gets its power from the iPhone itself else you have to deal with another tinny gadget and needs to be recharged. So much trouble, give me a headache.

Honestly though. The stock stereos are so easy to use. There are like 5 buttons and they are obvious. My last stereo which was aftermarket in another car I only listened to 1 station because I could not figure out how to use the presets or navigate to them (especially while driving). In the stock stereo I giant button 1-5 which i simply press and hold to set.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
I've been wanting and wondering why they already don't have this stolk in the iPod or iPhone... An fm transmitter and radio reciever would blow the competition out of the water as well an iPod with a built in transmitter is almost a no brainer
It's because you're assuming that everyone else wants one like you do. They don't. I can't stand modulators as they have terrible audio quality if there's even room in a given area's FM bands. In larger cities they're frequently useless. Besides, if you want one there are plenty to choose from.

Considering how much was done to slim down the 5 it's a "no brainer" why it was left out and never even considered.

Great Job

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2013
I HATE you all. I've been looking for the same part for a while now and for years I keep finding this thread filled to the brim with weapons grade mongoloids. I made an account here specifically for this thread.

OP is looking for a device like this but with a lighting adapter:
2269141_big.jpg

For all you fudging excellent heroes:
- iPhones don't have an internal radio transmitter
- HE DOESN'T want a bluetooth enabled device. His car doesn't have bluetooth.
- those apps that everyone keeps mentioning don't transmit radio. Those only allow people to receive radio stations.
- devices that transmit radio frequencies aren't illegal in any country if the signal is relatively small. (which it is)
- I live in a big city and this type of device worked PERFECTLY despite what people have claimed here. There will always be a frequency that no one is using.
- the quality of the transmitted audio is not perfect but still quite good.

In conclusion,
The device in question doesn't exist. I'm guessing manufacturers, for example Belkin or Griffin, feel like the development and production costs required aren't worth the tiny demand since as most have mentioned here, most cars now have bluetooth capability.

Your only options are to get a transmitter that plugs into the aux of the iPhone or to buy a lighting to 30 pin adapter.

My professional advice is you should all kill yourselves.
Sincerely yours,
J. Verne

Last edited:

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
My car doesn't have bluetooth.

Same here. I bought a cheap one on Amazon, but I haven't had the time to you it in my other car yet. Hopefully it works.

----------

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FM-Transmit...er_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item3a6779210c

I have this one and it`s fully functioning. I`ve tested with iPod Nano and iPhone

Now we're talking about the iPhone 5 not the iPhone 4/4S. That one won't work with people who have the new iPhones. But I had that one too, worked ok for a while, but I hated the fact that I always had to change radio stations because all the ones no one listens to are taken:rolleyes:

----------

I HATE you all. I've been looking for the same part for a while now and for years I keep finding this thread filled to the brim with weapon's grade mongoloids. I made an account here specifically for this thread.

OP is looking for a device like this but with a lighting adapter:

For all you fudging excellent heroes:
- iPhones don't have an internal radio transmitter
- HE DOESN'T want a bluetooth enabled device. His car doesn't have bluetooth.
- those apps that everyone keeps mentioning don't transmit radio. Those only allow people to receive radio stations.
- devices that transmit radio frequencies aren't illegal in any country if the signal is relatively small. (which it is)
- I live in a big city and this type of device worked PERFECTLY despite what people have claimed here. There will always be a frequency that no one is using.
- the quality of the transmitted audio is not perfect but still quite good.

In conclusion,
The device in question doesn't exist. I'm guessing manufacturers, for example Belkin, feel like the development and production costs required aren't worth the tiny demand since as most have mentioned here, most cars now have bluetooth capability.

Your only options are to get a transmitter that plugs into the aux of the iPhone or to buy a lighting to 30 pin adapter.

Sincerely yours,
J. Verne

Lol. This thread was made in 2011, and the iPhone 4S had just came out when this thread was made. But I am too looking for one just like that with a lightning cable. The one I have is nice but it get in the way of my steering wheel and clutch... gets pretty annoying.

hathornb

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2010
Same here. I bought a cheap one on Amazon, but I haven't had the time to you it in my other car yet. Hopefully it works.

----------

Now we're talking about the iPhone 5 not the iPhone 4/4S. That one won't work with people who have the new iPhones. But I had that one too, worked ok for a while, but I hated the fact that I always had to change radio stations because all the ones no one listens to are taken:rolleyes:

----------

Lol. This thread was made in 2011, and the iPhone 4S had just came out when this thread was made. But I am too looking for one just like that with a lightning cable. The one I have is nice but it get in the way of my steering wheel and clutch... gets pretty annoying.

I've been looking for months and can't find one. THink I'm just going to get the 30-pin to Lightning adapter and use the one I have that works relatively well.

Scots mitch

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2014
Loving this thread :)
Had the same problem.
Had an iPhone 4. Was so simple just to plug it into my lighter connection and listen to MY playlists.
Then I upgraded to the 5, can I listen to my music over the radio? No.
Sometimes I think Apple is deliberately trying to test my loyalty

john500y2k

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2013
To the OP I share your exact same problem and FOUND A SOLUTION. Recently purchased Iphone 5s and previously used Ipod paired with a 30 pin fm transmitter, several of which mentioned before.

I too was slightly disappointed that there aren't any lightning ones. However I found a solution though accidentally at PC World on offer for £4.99 I got a bluetooth 30 pin connector and plugged it into the fm transmitter. They require no separate power source and just take it from whatever it is docked into.

It is honestly a magical setup as everything is now wireless. Pair the phone to the bluetooth adaptor and then the adapter sends that to the FM transmitter which is then transmitted to my car radio. I LOVE IT!!

The whole thing is a nice tiny package that can be easily hidden and once set up for the first time will automatically pair when I have bluetooth on. Also did not have to chuck away my old FM transmitter. Added bonus is it now works with any bluetooth device. Great for when mates are with me on road trips.

My car has a built in radio into the dashboard which is very difficult to swap out. To get an AUX is available but costly or tricky to DIY due to the amount of panels to remove. It does not have built in bluetooth and only a cd slot. This is the only solution I could think of that did not require any modding to car/radio.

There are lots of these bluetooth docks online.

I hope this helps you in some way to a solution?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.