Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ASUgrad1999

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2012
Gilbert, AZ
The excitement and anticipation for the next iPhone just isn't what it used to be. Is this because people are satisfied with what they have or is it because they know the improvements they really want (bigger screen, different form factor) aren't likely to happen until the generation after next?

tgi

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2012
When I was using the 4S and the all the 5 rumors were going around, I lost interest in what the 5 had to offer. So I sold my 4S and picked up GS3, it was cool at first, used it for 2 months. Now I currently have an iPhone 5 and I'm happy with it.

The excitement and anticipation for the next iPhone just isn't what it used to be.

This is hardly true, I believe everyone always looks forward to what the next iPhone has to offer. Exactly why rumors are constantly discussed. As soon as an iPhone is released, there will be rumors about the next generation shorty after and everyone will be all over it.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
I am not that interested because I am locked into a contract that means I'll probably be looking at the iP 6.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
There are still improvements that could be made that would motivate me to get a new iPhone someday.

I remember threads where people debated whether new features were good enough to upgrade or not going back to the release of the successor to the original iPhone -- the iPhone 3G. I also remember people saying things like "I don't even notice the difference between the retina display and the old one", "I don't care about LTE" or "I liked the design of the iPhone 3Gs better".

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I think there should just be a consolidated "Apple/iPhone Doomed" thread stickied at the top of the forum for everyone to post all this crap in.

Cody21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Another one of these threads, but I'll add my 2 cents. If it seems like there isn't any anticipation in this forum it's because we have nothing to anticipate right now. Plus, we know from history that it'll just be an "S" upgrade which some people avoid in favor of the redesigned iPhones. I hardly ever get excited until something is announced. But I wouldn't doubt there are a handful of people here who are anticipating the next release.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
I dont get why people think the S phones are terrible... When they come out they always either match or exceed the specs of Android phones out at the time...i think we can all agree that if iOS 7 is a great update, the 5S will do spectacular

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Just another way of saying... I want a bigger screen! I want fingerprint sensor! I want NFC blah-blah. Same old, same old.

quasinormal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Sydney, Australia.
Are people getting paid to post threads like this?

Because there's about ten per day now.

I'd guess most posting such seemingly shill threads would be motivated by some long standing grudge that finds its form in the Apple brand and only a very small minority would actually getting paid for their input.

If I was their employer, I'd be sacking them because as far as I can see they all seem to be running off the same cue sheet.

Long time apple user.
Find iOS "stale"and lacks "innovation"
Throw in the odd isheep dig.
Bigger is better.
Rinse. Repeat.

Last edited:

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
As an Apple shareholder I don't need polls. I look at the shrinking stock price.

As a shareholder you should know better. The stock price was way overvalued and has now settled back into reality. Market corrections always aren't indicative of company health.

ronjon10

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2009
I don't want a bigger screen or NFC, and don't care about fingerprint sensors.

The smartphone has been defined, the only improvements are minor spec bumps.

What more can ios7 do? It's already easy to use and launches apps.

duneriderltr450

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Oregon
The excitement and anticipation for the next iPhone just isn't what it used to be. Is this because people are satisfied with what they have or is it because they know the improvements they really want (bigger screen, different form factor) aren't likely to happen until the generation after next?

Source?

5enohpi

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2012
Philly/Vegas
As an Apple shareholder I don't need polls. I look at the shrinking stock price.

As a shareholder you should know that even today apples current stock price doesn't justify it's value as it trades way ahead of its eps. The recent decline you are seeing is nothing more than TA and reality setting in. Even at 460 it's still an overpriced bubble waiting to pop

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
I think sooner or later the masses will realize that phones don't need a revolution every 6 months. It's amazing how many people buy a 4S or 5 at launch and hope that it lasts for a long while. Yet these same people complain when the next iteration isn't a ground breaking piece of innovation. Imagine if every 12 months apple released a totally new and mind blowing phone? At $650 a pop, it's not cheap.

spades1412

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2009
I say this now. My feeling may change when the next iPhone is announced. My line is eligible for an upgrade in May of this year. Right now, I am more than happy with my iPhone 5. For the first time, I might skip the "S" upgrade and wait it out for the 6 in 2014. I can't think of any break through must have feature I would just have to have that could possibly be in the next iPhone.

Teste

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2011
I think sooner or later the masses will realize that phones don't need a revolution every 6 months

Probably only after people realize that they don't need a new phone every couple years.

I'm still using my iPhone 3GS. Buying it was a revolution for me - my first smartphone, and one as great as the iPhone. I haven't upgraded since then because I have no reason to - I have an iPad 3 with retina display, and all other "innovations" in the iPhone have been mindless gimmicks (hi Siri!) or actual downgrades (Maps app).

It's not a matter of having a revolution every 6 months - there has been no revolution since the original iPhone, other than maybe the retina display. Everything else has been at most slow evolution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.