Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
Currently I have the GV Connect app and have my Google Voice # in my aList. For those that don't know aList is where you can put any number and the call is free via AT&T. So when I make a call I use the GV Connect app and it calls me back via my GV # resulting in free unlimited calling.

However I'm finding that the call quality with GV is hit it miss.

Is there a better alternative?

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Better in terms of just call quality or do you have additional criteria? I've never had call quality issues with GV.

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
Better in terms of just call quality or do you have additional criteria? I've never had call quality issues with GV.

Often times the other party has trouble hearing me because of lag.

FixBrokeni

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2012
Often times the other party has trouble hearing me because of lag.

Honestly I've been using GV for years and never had this issue. If you're looking for another free alternative I think Google Voice is better than all of the competition.

A paid alternative would be Twilio, or another VOIP provider.

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
Honestly I've been using GV for years and never had this issue. If you're looking for another free alternative I think Google Voice is better than all of the competition.

A paid alternative would be Twilio, or another VOIP provider.

Do you dial direct from GV or do you have GV Connect app call you back?

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I was one of the original beta testers of Google Voice - had it years before it went public beta. The quality of Google Voice seems to be taking a big down turn imo as more and more people use it. The biggest problem I have is the damn service not alerting me of calls - I'll get a voicemail and never be notified I got a call... or it'll ring once then BAM voicemail. I don't have big issues with lag but there is a little delay - as with most VOIPs. I use my Google Voice # as my home telephone that I give out to everyone then reserve my Cellphone for close friends/family because Google Voice can block an unlimited # of telephone numbers.

Since it's a relay service, not sure what you mean by lag - since the iPhone is really talking to Verizon THEN to Google Voice - yeah there's a little delay and sometimes its pretty bad but not too often. I haven't used those new apps like Talkatone. I've had big issues with reliability with those things so I tend to stay away from them.

No, don't know of any service to replace Google Voice. I'd be happy to try one!

I'm VERY disappointed with Google Voice. Before going public beta it removed TONS of features that we alpha? testers had for years (international SMS, etc...). It never added MMS and hasn't had much done to it for the last few years. Serious thumbs down imo.

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
That too.
Carrier data networks sometimes have deadzones or very slow data speeds available.
So if it cant communicate fast enough you will have freezes and cut outs.

But I don't think GV goes on WiFI or data network when it calls you back. I know you need an internet connection so the GV Connect app can be accessed.

When it calls me back it's calling me back via voice. I get a call back.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Despite GV popularity with some people, it seems lackadaisical. The iPhone GV app gets, which seems essential for all features offered, only gets a 2 stars at the apps store, no obvious replacement.

Is GV the next MobileMe?

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
GV quality is the same as your regular phone calls. If you are using it as a voip with another app, like talktone, that service is to blame as the call is routed over data. That has nothing to do with GV itself.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
GV quality is the same as your regular phone calls. If you are using it as a voip with another app, like talktone, that service is to blame as the call is routed over data. That has nothing to do with GV itself.

Yeah no, am not concerned about VOIP.

Am more concerned about having full access to GV's capabilities though my mobile handset than have to open up my laptop to do these management tasks.

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
Use vonage to make calls. It makes calls over data and the quality is as good as a regular call for me. You can only make calls, not receive calls, but it saves a lot of minutes for me. You can use either your regular phone number or google voice for the outgoing caller ID and you get 3000 free minutes per month to any US number.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.