Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 22, 2013, 07:26 PM   #1
shenan1982
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
XBMC - What's the big deal? What am I missing?

So I got XBMC, and used the XBMC hub to auto-config it with all the goodies on my iPad. I'm failing to see what all the hype is about. 90% of the content is broken links once you finally find something you want to see. The interface is laggy and buggy, and doesn't seem very well thought out. I don't see all the "live tv" it talks about as a benefit. XBMC keeps sending me emails saying ditch cable and use XBMC... not sure how anyone would do that.

I'm not bashing it, I'm just sharing person experience. Am I missing something or doing something incorrectly, because it doesn't see overly impressive thus far.
shenan1982 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2013, 10:38 PM   #2
sassenach74
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Hampshire, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenan1982 View Post
So I got XBMC, and used the XBMC hub to auto-config it with all the goodies on my iPad. I'm failing to see what all the hype is about. 90% of the content is broken links once you finally find something you want to see. The interface is laggy and buggy, and doesn't seem very well thought out. I don't see all the "live tv" it talks about as a benefit. XBMC keeps sending me emails saying ditch cable and use XBMC... not sure how anyone would do that.

I'm not bashing it, I'm just sharing person experience. Am I missing something or doing something incorrectly, because it doesn't see overly impressive thus far.
I'm half with you on this. It is somewhat sluggish and laborious to find something that plays, the interface leaves a lot to be desired and I'm yet to find any live tv worth watching. Maybe we're both missing a trick but I'm using a better app for movies and tv shows anyway.

Neil.
__________________
24"Alu iMac 3.06GHz 16GB White iPhone 4S 64GB iPad 3G AppleTV 160GB AppleTV 2
sassenach74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2013, 10:44 PM   #3
Brandon0448
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Wasilla, Alaska
You get what you pay for. I use it a lot on my Apple TV but not much on my iPad. Definitely doesn't replace cable but is nice to watch movies on. I don't usually have many problems with broken links, I mostly use 1channel.
Brandon0448 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2013, 10:56 PM   #4
Luis2004
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Try Rushplayer+.

XBMC is buggy and crashes often on my iPad. And it doesn't use actual hardware acceleration.
Luis2004 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2013, 11:25 PM   #5
Carlanga
macrumors 603
 
Carlanga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: PR
You most be looking at really old shows.
The things i watched have at least 90% of working links in each show using XBMC.
__________________
☻ "A dream you dream alone is only a dream...
... A dream you dream together is reality." ☻
Carlanga is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2013, 11:33 PM   #6
headcase
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Raleigh, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenan1982 View Post
So I got XBMC, and used the XBMC hub to auto-config it with all the goodies on my iPad. I'm failing to see what all the hype is about. 90% of the content is broken links once you finally find something you want to see. The interface is laggy and buggy, and doesn't seem very well thought out. I don't see all the "live tv" it talks about as a benefit. XBMC keeps sending me emails saying ditch cable and use XBMC... not sure how anyone would do that.

I'm not bashing it, I'm just sharing person experience. Am I missing something or doing something incorrectly, because it doesn't see overly impressive thus far.
+1

I have XBMC on my Apple TV 2, and the only time I use it, is when I'm bored and have time to blow, given its trial & error to find movies that will actually play. Navi-X and 1Channel are two of the more popular sources you can load into XBMC... but its still a crap shoot each time I venture in.
__________________
**********
Have jailbroken every iPhone I've owned since 2009.
headcase is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2013, 02:44 AM   #7
rick snagwell
macrumors 68040
 
rick snagwell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: oceanside, ca
so i downloaded it, don't get it. is it like a VLC app?
__________________
------||------
rick snagwell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2013, 02:56 AM   #8
oftheheavens
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: cherry point
Same here i have yet to watch one thing on it
oftheheavens is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2013, 05:52 AM   #9
Brandon0448
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Wasilla, Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick snagwell View Post
so i downloaded it, don't get it. is it like a VLC app?
It will pretty much play anything plus you can stream movies, tv shows, and stuff. Install the xbmc media hub and run it. It will add all the "channels" for you.

Also screenshot the page that tells you all the packages that installs with xbmc media hub. It installs a bunch and once you run it you don't need them anymore.
Brandon0448 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2013, 06:28 AM   #10
Menneisyys2
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon0448 View Post
It will pretty much play anything
Yup, basically, that's why I recommend it for folks that want to play back, say, WMA Lossless files.

However, as a generic player, I don't recommend it any more. Some AppStore players have become a much better choice for generic formats like MKV's.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick snagwell View Post
so i downloaded it, don't get it. is it like a VLC app?
You won't want to use it as a generic multimedia player, only for, by other players, rarely or not at all supported formats like WMA Lossless.

----------

While I certainly recommended XBMC in the past, I don't really do it any more now that the top AppStore players have, in many respects, closed the gap, for example hardware MKV playback-wise. (Of course they still don't support some niceties like WMA Lossless or, apart from HD Player Pro, full SSA subtitles - or, for that matter, AC3 / DTS support, which very few AppStore players support any more.)

Unfortunately, the switch to the Lightning adapter in the latest-gen iDevices has also delivered a lot of damage to XBMC, which, before the switch, delivered flawless 1080p output over wired connections - but it doesn't do any more.

Finally, 50p/60p videos getting lately pretty common has also made XBMC less desirable as it's completely incapable of playing back 1080p videos with more than 30 fps with any(!) frames rendered over 30 fps. Hardware players (AVPlayerHD etc.) don't have this problem.

You could really want to give a try to any (all?) of the following players, they're excellent (with different pros and cons - please consult my dedicated articles here at MR for more info, I've published tons of them):

- HD Player Pro
- AVPlayerHD
- It's Playing
Menneisyys2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2013, 10:45 AM   #11
rick snagwell
macrumors 68040
 
rick snagwell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: oceanside, ca
so i can watch basic cable on my device when away from home? or way off?
__________________
------||------
rick snagwell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2013, 03:13 PM   #12
shenan1982
Thread Starter
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassenach74 View Post
I'm half with you on this. It is somewhat sluggish and laborious to find something that plays, the interface leaves a lot to be desired and I'm yet to find any live tv worth watching. Maybe we're both missing a trick but I'm using a better app for movies and tv shows anyway.

Neil.
What app do you use?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlanga View Post
You most be looking at really old shows.
The things i watched have at least 90% of working links in each show using XBMC.
Why would I watch brand new shows? Those are abundant in the torrents, and I have tivo, so I can watch that from my iPad.. I got XBMC to have a bunch of entertainment, yet most things I attempt to watch are dead links.
shenan1982 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2013, 03:16 PM   #13
sassenach74
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Hampshire, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenan1982 View Post
What app do you use?
MovieBox by trendico, it's on cydia.
__________________
24"Alu iMac 3.06GHz 16GB White iPhone 4S 64GB iPad 3G AppleTV 160GB AppleTV 2
sassenach74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2013, 03:21 PM   #14
shenan1982
Thread Starter
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menneisyys2 View Post
Yup, basically, that's why I recommend it for folks that want to play back, say, WMA Lossless files.

However, as a generic player, I don't recommend it any more. Some AppStore players have become a much better choice for generic formats like MKV's.[COLOR="#808080"]
I use GoodPlayer, it's way better for general media. I think people get XBMC for streaming content, I just don't see what the big hoopla is. It's flaky at best. I jailbroke my AppleTV for the sole purpose of using it as a streaming fun box. I guess if I were a broke college student with rabbit ears for TV service it'd be fun to play around with, but I have cable with a billion channels and TIVO, so the experience on XBMC leaves much to be desired.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassenach74 View Post
MovieBox by trendico, it's on cydia.
Tried installing Movie Box from 3 sources and all fail.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick snagwell View Post
so i can watch basic cable on my device when away from home? or way off?
Per their advertisements, yes. In reality, no (in my personal experience)

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis2004 View Post
Try Rushplayer+.

XBMC is buggy and crashes often on my iPad. And it doesn't use actual hardware acceleration.
Is anyone else having an issue with Cydia right now? I tried getting Movie Box AND RushPlayer+ and they both are giving me "cannot find package - manually fix" errors. And I tried from 3 different sources.
shenan1982 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2013, 03:23 PM   #15
sassenach74
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Hampshire, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenan1982 View Post
I use GoodPlayer, it's way better for general media. I think people get XBMC for streaming content, I just don't see what the big hoopla is. It's flaky at best. I jailbroke my AppleTV for the sole purpose of using it as a streaming fun box. I guess if I were a broke college student with rabbit ears for TV service it'd be fun to play around with, but I have cable with a billion channels and TIVO, so the experience on XBMC leaves much to be desired.

----------



Tried installing Movie Box from 3 sources and all fail.

----------



Per their advertisements, yes. In reality, no (in my personal experience)

----------



Is anyone else having an issue with Cydia right now? I tried getting Movie Box AND RushPlayer+ and they both are giving me "cannot find package - manually fix" errors. And I tried from 3 different sources.
Use this repo: http://repo.badgb.com/
__________________
24"Alu iMac 3.06GHz 16GB White iPhone 4S 64GB iPad 3G AppleTV 160GB AppleTV 2
sassenach74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2013, 03:34 PM   #16
shenan1982
Thread Starter
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassenach74 View Post
Use this repo: http://repo.badgb.com/
It's not showing in that repo

----------

Resolved - was my wifi connection... downloading torrents so cydia is sensitive, cut over to LTE and downloaded both apps just fine, playing with them now.
shenan1982 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2013, 03:36 PM   #17
sassenach74
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Hampshire, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenan1982 View Post
It's not showing in that repo

----------

Resolved - was my wifi connection... downloading torrents so cydia is sensitive, cut over to LTE and downloaded both apps just fine, playing with them now.
Glad yah got it working, is it the kind of app you're after?
__________________
24"Alu iMac 3.06GHz 16GB White iPhone 4S 64GB iPad 3G AppleTV 160GB AppleTV 2
sassenach74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2013, 03:43 PM   #18
shenan1982
Thread Starter
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassenach74 View Post
Glad yah got it working, is it the kind of app you're after?
Regarding RushPlayer, no, it's just another media player.

With MovieBox, looks promising, but trying several movies I got dead links (current movies on the main screen even). Was really looking for an app that'll let me watch TV... ie if I want to watch the east coast feed of NBC in HD, or iTV1 from the UK live.... that kinda thing.

So while I wrote this the movie finally buffered... then timed out and is now rebuffering, haha.
shenan1982 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2013, 03:45 PM   #19
Menneisyys2
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenan1982 View Post
I use GoodPlayer, it's way better for general media. I think people get XBMC for streaming content, I just don't see what the big hoopla is. It's flaky at best.
1. Frankly, I don't use streaming so I can't really comment on XBMC's supporting it. I prefer donwnloading the files beforehand (off, say, TVKaista.fi, a Finnish service offering Finnish broadcasts) and, when I have the time (for example, in the sauna) watch them, played back from the local file system. (I have 64 GB iPads so storage is plenty, no need for streaming.)

2. GoodPlayer, while it has excellent for example streaming support, has a pretty bad H.264 decoder (even worse than that of XBMC, let alone the top AppStore players like AVPlayerHD, yaPlayer etc.) and doesn't support DTS / AC3 (unlike XBMC, AVPlayerHD or RushPlayer+). One won't want to use it to play back these formats.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenan1982 View Post
Regarding RushPlayer, no, it's just another media player.
Yup, a local one, with very limited (and only local) streaming support. However, as a local player, it's excellent (much better than XBMC at, say, hi-res H.264 playback) if one knows what formats it can play back.
Menneisyys2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2013, 04:00 PM   #20
shenan1982
Thread Starter
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menneisyys2 View Post
1. Frankly, I don't use streaming so I can't really comment on XBMC's supporting it. I prefer donwnloading the files beforehand (off, say, TVKaista.fi, a Finnish service offering Finnish broadcasts) and, when I have the time (for example, in the sauna) watch them, played back from the local file system. (I have 64 GB iPads so storage is plenty, no need for streaming.)

2. GoodPlayer, while it has excellent for example streaming support, has a pretty bad H.264 decoder (even worse than that of XBMC, let alone the top AppStore players like AVPlayerHD, yaPlayer etc.) and doesn't support DTS / AC3 (unlike XBMC, AVPlayerHD or RushPlayer+). One won't want to use it to play back these formats.

----------



Yup, a local one, with very limited (and only local) streaming support. However, as a local player, it's excellent (much better than XBMC at, say, hi-res H.264 playback) if one knows what formats it can play back.
I have tried AVPlayer and XBMC and GoodPlayer, and GoodPlayer does the best in terms of handling what I throw at it. I usually run everything through Handbrake anyhow tho, shrink the file sizes down. I too have 64GB, but it's a mini so don't need super hi-res, and I usually have only a couple GB free anyhow, so need to compress as much as possible. I really want the next iPad Mini to be 128GB, which for the price it should be. LOL
shenan1982 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2013, 04:18 PM   #21
Menneisyys2
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenan1982 View Post
I have tried AVPlayer and XBMC and GoodPlayer, and GoodPlayer does the best in terms of handling what I throw at it.
Well, if you use hardware decoding (you have plain mov / m4v / mp4 files; for example, output by HB), then there's no difference in the playback efficiency between GoodPlayer and AVPlayerHD. It's software decoding that I've referred to, in which GoodPlayer is definitely worse than AVPlayerHD (or even XBMC).
Menneisyys2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2013, 05:32 PM   #22
pault106
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Essex
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassenach74 View Post
MovieBox by trendico, it's on cydia.
Me too, great app. Got bored of XBMC with its broken links.
pault106 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2013, 06:32 PM   #23
guitarmandp
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
I use either icefilms or 1channel and the links work 9 out of 10 times.

If you are looking to use it as a Netflix replacement you can't go wrong

I have cable already and I've found the quality of the live tv channels to be piss poor so I hardly ever use NaviX
guitarmandp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2013, 06:45 PM   #24
Bl0ckHe1d
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Caledonia
The Raspberry Pi can run XBMC for a fraction of the price of an ATV and no need for jailbreaking!!
Bl0ckHe1d is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2013, 07:14 AM   #25
felt.
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canada
I just recently installed XBMC, it's cool for streaming old tv show episodes.

I like OPlayer HD, I can stream HD mkv files directly off my network shares, no need to download first.
__________________
17"MBP/iPhone4/iPad4
felt. is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
All iPads: 64-bit a big deal? JoeRito iPad 23 Nov 14, 2013 11:08 AM
What's the big deal about Haswell? ksharin MacBook Air 41 Sep 4, 2013 01:47 PM
Campaigning = Big Business, it's a Done Deal whoknows87 Politics, Religion, Social Issues 3 Nov 4, 2012 12:24 AM
iPad Mini: Box looks very un-Apple (not a big deal, tho) thadoggfather iPad 26 Nov 2, 2012 07:39 PM
Why is 4G a big deal? kfergiez iPhone 41 Jun 17, 2012 09:19 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:55 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC