Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ray6712

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
StL
now i could be dreaming here because this goes against every bit of speculation out there but I believe we will see a brand new iPhone this year. I think the 5 was a bridge device meant to carry us into this year so Apple could get the 6 ready.

If you look at Apples past moves the original phone and the 3g and the 3gs all were very similar in concept and execution, now the 4 of course the 4s and now the 5 are very similar in their form.

If we look at available tech Apple never takes big steps to keep up but only when they are ready to implement them. Now i know its all speculation on my part so far but i believe they will introduce 3 different models this year a brand new iPhone the 5s although i doubt it will be called 5s anymore and a new cheaper model called mini or slim or something.

Android phones are currently running high ppi 1080p screens like its normal I believe Apple will employ a new widescreen iPhone about 4.3 inches at double the resolution as its current phones offerings this way once again all previous apps will scale and all the developers would have to do is upgrade the apps resolution.

My reasoning could be totally wrong i know this but if we could see the competition coming surely Apple could and they used the 5 to bridge themselves to a whole new version of the phone while making the 5 a new mid tier phone and introducing a newer smaller cheaper iPhone.
This gives them their margins they can effectively start pricing the new iPhone at say a 299 price point to start but offer it with say 32g starting level a mid tier phone that can start at say 199 but offer it at only 32g of memory and a low priced model at say 100 that carriers could offer cheaply and on sale and would never carry the highest specs but would be always refreshed with the old models body made with older components and out of a cheaper material.

If you look at current reports Apple is tapping A couple more manufacturers to assemble iPhones. this tells me they need more manufacturing because they have different product lines a are moving the iPhone to a Mac like line instead of 1 product have 3 win all the available revenue here and in developing countries and do it all based on existing tech but save the greatest tech for the new Halo iPhone make it a world beater and let the chips fall where they may.

macMD

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2005
New York
I don't see Apple introducing the iPhone 6 this year, history has shown them they can get away with a spec bump and still sell tons of phones. The cheap(er) iPhone will fill in the price sensitive gap and they can finally kill off the iP3GS, iP4/4S.

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2011
Apple will bring out Iphone 5S as they have brought out previous s models. I think to be honest Apple are glad that the Samsung S4 is just another spec update and speed bump from the S3. Nothing too great and this will mean Apple wont have to bring out something drastic in terms of re-design. I think the main importance of the next Iphone 5S update would be to do with the new IOS 7.

ray6712

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
StL
What do you mean by "bridge device" when the hardware was all new?

Yesssir i mean bridge device true the hardware was all new but it was used as a bridge between the current design language as well as the new design language

walmartmartyr

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
Because apple has such a great replacement program, they have to do the S models. Hey cannot have multiple hardware models that they need to keep making parts for for at least two years after they sell the last one.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
I don't think we will see the iPhone 6 until 2014 along with a major redesign of ios. iPhone 5S and ios 7 will only be minor bumps.

Cody21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2012
Knoxville, TN
We're still waiting for the iPhone 5S to become official and theres already an iPhone 6 thread. They're not gonna release an iPhone 5S along with an iPhone 6 this year and an iPhone 6S next year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.