Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

erichess22

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2013
Wait for retina. Don't buy the current version unless you absolutely don't care about screen quality.

The retina ipad mini isn't coming out with the next cycle of ipads, so if you like the ipad mini i would get it. It will be at least another year until the ipad mini has retina.

sbddude

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2010
Nor Cal, USA
The retina ipad mini isn't coming out with the next cycle of ipads, so if you like the ipad mini i would get it. It will be at least another year until the ipad mini has retina.

Why do you think that? The next cycle is probably in the fall, and rumors so far have pointed toward retina on the next mini. I think apple will have to in order to stay competitive against the nexus 7.

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
People claim battery life for a reason not to have retina on the Mini. But the iPad 3 (the new iPad) managed to go Retina and maintain battery life by making it a few millimeters thicker and about an ounce heavier. A slightly thicker Mini and and a 11.5 ounce one would be a small price to pay for a much better screen. And I think Apple knows this.

Last edited:

erichess22

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2013
Why do you think that? The next cycle is probably in the fall, and rumors so far have pointed toward retina on the next mini. I think apple will have to in order to stay competitive against the nexus 7.

Many resources have been saying that the technology just isn't there or going to be in time for the next ipad mini. I agree i think that when the next one comes out in april and there isn't a retina display on it, there will be a lot of angry consumers. Just what I have heard from many reliable sources. I can't even fathem why they would make another set of ipads 6 months from the last but hey i'm not nearly making as much money as anyone making those decisions.

Manic Harmonic

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2011
I would say just go for the mini. The 1024x768 screen actually looks pretty good on the smaller display.

Also, if you're okay with android, personally I think my Nexus 7 compliments my iPad 2 very well. It's got a higher res 1280x800 screen, and of course you would have the benefit of having both OS's. If you don't like android, then by all means, get the iPad mini. Regardless, I can almost guarantee you you're going to wonder how you went so long without having a smaller tablet.

That's my 2 cents.

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
erichess22,I just do not understand how you can say with utter cofidence that an iPad Mini Retina will not be out this year. You said, "isn't coming out". To make a statement like that, you need a source better than "many resources" unless that resource is Jony Ive or Tim Cook.

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
People claim battery life for a reason not to have retina on the Mini. But the iPad 2 managed to go Retina and maintain battery life by making it a few millimeters thicker and about an ounce heavier. A slightly thicker Mini and and a 11.5 ounce one would be a small price to pay for a much better screen. And I think Apple knows this.

It's probably just a typo, but the iPad 2 does not have a retina screen (don't want someone who's about to buy a 2 because of the "retina screen").

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
It's probably just a typo, but the iPad 2 does not have a retina screen (don't want someone who's about to buy a 2 because of the "retina screen").

It was most certainly a typo. iPad 3, everyone (the new iPad), has the retina screen!

erichess22

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2013
erichess22,I just do not understand how you can say with utter cofidence that an iPad Mini Retina will not be out this year. You said, "isn't coming out". To make a statement like that, you need a source better than "many resources" unless that resource is Jony Ive or Tim Cook.

well when every single rumor mill is saying that there isn't a capability of it yet, and with the next release of ipads coming in a month i'd say it's a pretty good assumption. Unless they can magically make a thinner, cheaper, less battery consuming ipad mini retina dispay we will not be seing an iPad mini 2 with retina display. better? :) It will most likely have better resolution and will look similar to a retina display since it is on a smaller screen compared to normal sized ipads, but not actual retina display. Thats what I have heard. I wish apple would prove me wrong. I want a retina ipad mini just as much as the next guy, all I'm saying is don't count on it.

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
Try this for a rumor.The FACT that Apple is REQUIRING ALL apps to be retina ready shortly. So only a month after announcing that, would they really go ahead and release another non retina device? To me, that doesn't make sense. Apple would also let Andoid tabs walk all over them until the next release if they do not increase resolution. And that is something Apple should be very wary of happening.

erichess22

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2013
Try this for a rumor.The FACT that Apple is REQUIRING ALL apps to be retina ready shortly. So only a month after announcing that, would they really go ahead and release another non retina device? To me, that doesn't make sense. Apple would also let Andoid tabs walk all over them until the next release if they do not increase resolution. And that is something Apple should be very wary of happening.

"retina ready shortly"
It could already be retina ready, that doesn't mean that it will have retina. Shortly? Who is to say how long "shortly" is? shortly to apple could be months, years? I hope that we do have retina ipad mini's next month, i just don't think it'll happen. You can say i told you so all you want next month if they do.

and when and where was that the apps must be retina ready? thanks.

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
"retina ready shortly"
It could already be retina ready, that doesn't mean that it will have retina. Shortly? Who is to say how long "shortly" is? shortly to apple could be months, years? I hope that we do have retina ipad mini's next month, i just don't think it'll happen. You can say i told you so all you want next month if they do.

and when and where was that the apps must be retina ready? thanks.

https://www.macrumors.com/2013/03/2...nique-device-identifier-udid-beginning-may-1/

Apple Will No Longer Approve Apps Using Unique Device Identifier (UDID) Beginning May 1, Must Also Support iPhone 5 and Retina Display

You say: "shortly to apple could be months, years?"

No, about one month. Starting May 1, 2013.

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
My mother bought herself an iPad mini and from what can tell, iPad mini doesn't have a retina display for several reasons:

-To use iPhone charger(meaning it can use the smaller power supply. The full-sized retina ipad power supply probably would have been overkill, and they would not want to create a new power supply just for the mini)
-To maintain it's thickness
-To maintain it's weight
-Not to mention, they would be able to use iPad 2's processor and thus cut the cost.

The mini is basically a smaller ipad 2(Same processor AND display) which would explain it's price. The lightning connector and camera is the only thing thats different.(And size of course)

Fort these reasons, [I suspect we wont see a retina mini until they can make it run on the iphone's power supply.

Last edited:

waa1futs

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2012
I'm thinking about getting the LTE mini + logitech kb + dumpbhone to replace my smartphone + laptop.

Any thoughts on this?

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
I'm thinking about getting the LTE mini + logitech kb + dumpbhone to replace my smartphone + laptop.

Any thoughts on this?
If you want to get any serious work done, no. If you want to surf the web and do Instagram, then ok.

waa1futs

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2012
If you want to get any serious work done, no. If you want to surf the web and do Instagram, then ok.

Well I'm in college for a 2-year healthcare program atm. The only work I plan on doing for my program is typing word documents, sometimes with colored text boxes and arrows, which I can do with both the Pages and Polaris Office apps. Other than that it would simply be my smartphone replacement outside of simply talking, which I don't do much of anyways but would get a dumbphone for regardless.

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
Well I'm in college for a 2-year healthcare program atm. The only work I plan on doing for my program is typing word documents, sometimes with colored text boxes and arrows, which I can do with both the Pages and Polaris Office apps. Other than that it would simply be my smartphone replacement outside of simply talking, which I don't do much of anyways but would get a dumbphone for regardless.

This setup is definitely lighter, but I would not give up a laptop for a Mini. The laptop is just more powerful and more able to do different things than a tablet. And a 7.9" screen is not ideal for typing.

Luis2004

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2012
Many resources have been saying that the technology just isn't there or going to be in time for the next ipad mini. I agree i think that when the next one comes out in april and there isn't a retina display on it, there will be a lot of angry consumers. Just what I have heard from many reliable sources. I can't even fathem why they would make another set of ipads 6 months from the last but hey i'm not nearly making as much money as anyone making those decisions.

Again, you're assuming a lot and presenting it as fact. Where is the proof that ANYTHING is coming out in April?

erichess22

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2013
Again, you're assuming a lot and presenting it as fact. Where is the proof that ANYTHING is coming out in April?

iMore's constant correct assumptions with release date. In 2012 iMore had every release date spot on, unless this is his first wrong guess we will see something released in april or shortly after.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.