Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ianwuk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 2, 2010
I run daily (only 10km) but I like to have my iPod Classic with me to listen to when I run. I keep it in the backpocket of my shorts and it has a protective rubber case but after a run the case has evidence of sweat and sometimes, in the case of my last iPod Classic that just died, it just switches off or stops functioning properly.

With my last iPod Classic I took it on a half marathon and, about 2km from the end, the sound just stopped and it went dead, that was the end of that iPod. I have now replaced it with another 160GB Classic, same case, I also bought a waterproof case for it (not arrived yet), but, even with this brand new iPod Classic, after a long run (iPod gets sweaty too) it either does not respond to pressing the play/pause button or the screen just goes off.

When I get back from a run I remove the case and let the iPod dry out in normal conditions but I just worry as I recently bought a replacement brand new and do not want it to die on me, it is not even a month old!

What can I do to protect my iPod when I take it running? It seems sweat really damages it.

Many thanks.

Ian

Thetonyk123

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2011
Earth
Well when you get the waterproof case do put it on. The waterproof case is really the best method to stop the sweat from entering the device.

ianwuk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 2, 2010
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I could not find a waterproof case for the iPod Classic itself but got one for the iPod Touch, I am hoping it would still fit in the same way, it has yet to arrive so I will see what happens and I will try it.

But it is normal to hear body sweat destroying an iPod?

Apparently Apple says not to go jogging with an iPod? Seems kind of silly if you ask me.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1618078?start=0&tstart=0

Thanks again.

Ian

Thetonyk123

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2011
Earth
It's a bit often I hear perspiration getting into the iPod of you use it for exercising. I did find 2 otterbox cases for the iPod classic (I'm assuming you have the 6th generation)

http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Otterbox-Armor-913-Case-for-iPod-classic/3203826/product.html
Completely waterproof case for the iPod, a bit bulky but if you want a true waterproof, shockproof, dirt proof case this would be the one. There is some flaws with it like you cannot access the lock/hold button while the case is on. But overall true waterproof protection is an ease of mind, this case comes in at $46

http://www.overstock.com/Electronic...s-Multimedia-Player-Case/3064857/product.html
While this one is not waterproof, it's a lot thinner then the armor series and you have access to the lock/hold button while the case is on. It features covers that cover up the headphone jack and dock connector (where the sweat would usually get in). $37

(I could only find these items on overstock, amazon had them out of stock)

I'd take a look at those two and see which one would be better for you.

----------

I should add some services do let you completely waterproof the iPod shuffle without a case, but seeing as you have the 160gb iPod classic that might not be a solution.

jmck

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2002
motion

Could it be the repetitive motion, instead of or in addition to the perspiration?

I miss all my dead classic iPods, but I guess they died for a reason.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Put it in a ziplock bag and fold it over, route the headphone cord through the opening. Just make sure the opening is folded over.

That will keep 99% of the moisture from reaching it.

I did this with my iPhone when I used to go cycling with it, and it worked swell. No longer have to as I got a seatpost bag and just put my stuff in there.

Thetonyk123

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2011
Earth
Put it in a ziplock bag and fold it over, route the headphone cord through the opening. Just make sure the opening is folded over.

That will keep 99% of the moisture from reaching it.

I did this with my iPhone when I used to go cycling with it, and it worked swell. No longer have to as I got a seatpost bag and just put my stuff in there.

Right! I forgot about this one. This would be the cheapest and easiest solution.m

ianwuk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 2, 2010
That is a good suggestion, I think the waterproof bag I ordered will allow me to do the same thing. I am just waiting for it to arrive.

ianwuk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 2, 2010
I did some research and apparently it does the job. iPod's dying through sweat seems to be quite common. Apple will not repair it either as body sweat is classed as the iPod being tampered with, apparently the headphone socket has a little tab. When moisture hits that it changes colour so the Apple tech guys can immediately see what the cause is.

srshaw

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2011
I would't take a classic running, the shocks may well cause problems for the hard disk, plus it's quite heavy. My old 4th gen photo ended up broken, I don't think running with it helped, but it might have broke anyway (the hard disk failed)

I would just get a cheap shuffle. Thats what I use and just download an album or two before a run.

ianwuk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 2, 2010
I don't mind the weight and it seems silly if the device is not designed for sports. I will see if it lasts once my protective casing arrives for it.

Thanks very much for the reply.

ianwuk

ianwuk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 2, 2010
Just an update.

My new iPod Classic has been sent back to be serviced. Worked fine but then stopped all of sudden and the Play/Pause button now refuses to work (everything else is fine).

Not impressed with iPod right now but I guess taking it running 10km does not help either. I am still waiting for my case to arrive so that hopefully it will no longer be exposed to human sweat and so may last longer.

Thanks.

ianwuk

acorntoy

macrumors 68010
May 25, 2010
I would't take a classic running, the shocks may well cause problems for the hard disk, plus it's quite heavy. My old 4th gen photo ended up broken, I don't think running with it helped, but it might have broke anyway (the hard disk failed)

I would just get a cheap shuffle. Thats what I use and just download an album or two before a run.

This. My mom killed her classic when she took it running because the motion destroyed the hard drive.

Honestly I would get either a classic modified with a huge ssd if you HAVE to have your entire music collection while running, or getting an ipod nano/similar that does not have a hard drive. I have heard of many iPods hard drives being shot by running, but I have never heard of one dying from sweat.

Last edited:

ianwuk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 2, 2010
So the issue with my current iPod, the play/pause button not responding, is most likely not caused by sweat? Everything else works fine, just that one button.

It is being looked at by Apple anyway. I will see what happens.

Thanks for your time, I am also awaiting the waterproof case I bought as well. My used iPod Classic lasted for tons of runs before the iPod died on me so I am not sure of the exact cause to be honest.

Ian

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
I don't mind the weight and it seems silly if the device is not designed for sports. I will see if it lasts once my protective casing arrives for it.

Thanks very much for the reply.

ianwuk

the device is designed to hold your entire music library - it wasn't designed for sports.

apple makes other iPods that are flash based (solid state) that are designed for more active activities. i suggest that you get a 6th gen nano on eBay that has a clip and you don't even notice it while working out. for a 6-7 mile run, i highly doubt you are burning through 16GB of music (or even 8GB for that matter).

i have an iPod Video 5.5 gen - i would never take it running due to the wear and tear on the hard drive. it's not worth it when for $50 you can get a brand new shuffle or for $58 you can get a used 6th gen nano

the choice is your's - but from one avid runner to another...avoid running with the Classic if you can help it

ianwuk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 2, 2010
Hello Medic.

Thanks, I am seriously looking in to the 2GB Shuffle now! I just hope 2GB can hold enough songs for a half marathon, about 2 hours?

How does the Shuffle deal with sweat? From what I have read, not very well!

Ian

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
Ipod classic is not meant for woking out or running. The motion can damage the hard drive. That's why apple made the nano line and the shuffle. Those lines are meant for working out (plus the 7th gen nano has bluetooth good for wireless headphones). Remember the classic has moving parts. The nano, shuffle and the touch for that matter are all flash based memory and thus have no moving parts. They do make water/sweet prof cases for the nano and shuffle (and the touch if you wanted to use that big thing). The classic I guess could be used every once and a while for running or working out just not ideal. That's why I bought a nano. I use the nano only for working out and running. Anyway sorry to ramble hope this helps.

ianwuk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 2, 2010
Which iPod is best for dealing with sweat? Ideally I would clip the Shuffle to my shorts (or in back pocket) and go running. I do not want to have to mess around with a case for it or anything like that. I hear mixed reviews for the Shuffle, some say it lasts for many runs, others say it dies really quickly.

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Which iPod is best for dealing with sweat? Ideally I would clip the Shuffle to my shorts (or in back pocket) and go running. I do not want to have to mess around with a case for it or anything like that. I hear mixed reviews for the Shuffle, some say it lasts for many runs, others say it dies really quickly.

I didn't read the whole thread, but I use a Shuffle when I run. I clip it to my shorts waistband and the run the wire under my shirt. That way the sweat doesn't go down the wire and into the iPod. Also keeps the wire from flying around while I'm running.

ianwuk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 2, 2010
I have now bought a 2GB Shuffle and I am awaiting delivery. I usually run wearing a fanny pack to keep my phone and keys in so I will most likely strap the Shuffle to that when I run with the headphones under my shirt.

Thanks again.

Ian

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
Hello Medic.

Thanks, I am seriously looking in to the 2GB Shuffle now! I just hope 2GB can hold enough songs for a half marathon, about 2 hours?

How does the Shuffle deal with sweat? From what I have read, not very well!

Ian

There are aftermarket accessories on eBay that enclose the shuffle so it doesn't get wet. It's basically a small thin plastic case with a gasket that clasps shut on the Shuffle and headphones creating a seal. The case itself has a clip too

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.