Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TedM

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
California
I recently purchased XCOM last week. I've never really been into a turned based strategy game link this. I mean I loved the total war series and that is turn based, but this is extremely different. But still amazing. Here is the trailer. If anyone else has this game let me know. I'd love to discuss it! I'm not sure if it works on macs.

XCOM

Raima

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2010
Totally love this game. Got it yesterday and can't wait to play it again :)

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
Just love that game! I'm on my second play thru on Classic Ironman on second wave. I have so many casualties :(

One little tip i did wrong the first time:
Get those satellites up, but wait until the last day before the Council reports!! Or your funding will low later on!

Renzatic

Suspended

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
...squee. Squee! SQUEEEEEEEE! :D

Yeah, thanks a lot, Firaxis. Making me throw yet more money on a game I've bought already. Really. Appreciate it.

My only concern is that the PC version is about a 9-10GB install. How much are they gonna have to cut to get it to fit into the App Store's 2GB per app limit?

Apparently gameplay-wise, only a few maps were cut. I'm guessing they cut it down further by leaving out things like high-quality textures.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004

Yeah, thanks a lot, Firaxis. Making me throw yet more money on a game I've bought already. Really. Appreciate it.

My only concern is that the PC version is about a 9-10GB install. How much are they gonna have to cut to get it to fit into the App Store's 2GB per app limit?

Videos alone are about 8GB never mind the texture size. Once you knock those down to mobile sizes it should all fit. I would not expect any missing levels.

Edwin

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
If any of you reading this are like me (an old-timer who remembers the original Xcom game) and are on the fence about getting this... buy it!

While the game is different, the new version is still a compelling game to play. The geo-scape and base management might be more simplistic, but managing panic is more critical and forces some hard choices. Where the game really improves is in the variety of missions and the combat flow with good graphics.

balaam

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2013
If any of you reading this are like me (an old-timer who remembers the original Xcom game) and are on the fence about getting this... buy it!

And if you've played the new one to death, the older games hold up pretty well (though the interface is clunky). I heard this reboot has done so well they're going to do a sequel - maybe it'll be Terror from the Deep!

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
You guy's know they are bringing this game to iOS right?
So you'll be able to play it on your iPad and I guess iPhone etc:

http://toucharcade.com/2013/03/23/pax-east-xcom-enemy-unknown-heading-to-ios-this-summer/

Did you read the thread before posting? :D

XCOM is a game practically tailor made for the iPad

Yeah, thanks a lot, Firaxis.

I'm most likely getting this and also the iPad version when it comes out lol

Yeah I think we all know about the iOS version. :D

yakapo

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
I just posted about playing this game today on the ipad and MacBook Air. I used splashtop. Runs so well you can't tell it's remotely connected. Works really well with the microsoft controller too. I just started so I haven't really gotten in to the game yet.

syrinxx

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2011
@Edwin about the Performance

hi Edwin - how well will the game run maxed out on an imac mid 2011 27" maxed out. 3,4i7, 16gb Ram, ati 6970m 2gb 10.8.3 so on ...??

i would love to see this game on my machine running really good with all that eye candy on max !!!!

greets
ron

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
hi Edwin - how well will the game run maxed out on an imac mid 2011 27" maxed out. 3,4i7, 16gb Ram, ati 6970m 2gb 10.8.3 so on ...??

i would love to see this game on my machine running really good with all that eye candy on max !!!!

greets
ron

Pretty sure you will be Max or close to it.

Edwin

neo1

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2007
XCOM Enemy Unknown

I feel the same way. Never liked this type of game and fought about buying it but glad I did

Picked up an iPad mini and game plays great on it.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.