Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Barcraft (the SC2 arcade game) > This Hearthstone.

And gotta love the MacAdvertising forums :) (this place)

RL600

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2007
Palm Beach, Florida
It was released in 1998. Time to move on.

Grand Theft Auto III was released just a few years later than that and was release for iOS. Just because it was released in 98 does not mean anything to me. That makes no sense coming from a person that's been an active member on a forum for over 10 years. :confused: Just saying some people like things that have been around for a while..

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
I used to love Blizzard, own all their games up to Warcraft III but after Diablo III and it's requieriment to always be online to play (and their constant server crashes which prevented me to play even while connected) I just gave up. I also was planning to buy Starcraft II but got dicouraged with the whole thing about different regions.

Activision ruined Blizzard imo.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Grand Theft Auto III was released just a few years later than that and was release for iOS. Just because it was released in 98 does not mean anything to me. That makes no sense coming from a person that's been an active member on a forum for over 10 years. :confused: Just saying some people like things that have been around for a while..

It's still a good game, i get that. but what I'm saying is that you can't expect a for-profit company to continue to do active development on a 15 year old product which it hasn't sold in years and from which it derives no profit anymore. It makes no economic sense for them, especially when they have a 3 year old sequel game that they'd love to sell you. GTA3 on iOS is different because they can sell the game to the same buyer a second time on the new platform.

marsmissions

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2010
Washington, US
They wouldn't because Warcraft 3 and Starcraft 1 are playable offline that means, lots of people would obtain it without paying through jailbreak while this Heartstone even though it's free, it's an online-only game. That means blizzard control everything. It's like what they did with Diablo 3.

1) You can't play it without logging in.
2) You can't cheat in-app purchases because all your game info, items, etc are saved on their server.

Jailbreaking doesn't have anything to do with pirating software...

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
Ya. I understand that much but this part I don't understand :

The competitive side of the game will feature one-on-one fights via Battle.Net, which, if you didn't know, is the service Blizzard uses for its PC games. We're not sure what the iPad version will use -- details are still coming out from the event.

How does one do battle one on one over the internet using cards ?

I guess I'm so used to playing the regular game ( lvl 90 warrior ) for so many years I can't see the obvious.

It had as much to do with WoW as a t-shirt with WoW on it. It will share the names of characters, spells, and such but will not play much at all like WoW. It is purely a card game like Magic: The Gathering, Pokemon, etc, etc. It will use Battle.net to facilitate finding other players but you won't play this game against anybody in the World of Warcraft MMO. They are completely separate products.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
so for money you get to play with a stacked deck, how fun.

That's how pretty much every CCG is. You can always just play with your friends. I used to play MTG online and we all agreed to only buy a certain number of starter decks and booster packs and we played amongst ourselves. None of us had optimal decks but we all were at similar disadvantages.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I didn't see this trend in 1996, but it's clear as day now: nerdy dumb ideas go in WC, good cool ideas go in SC. WC2 was great, WC3 wasn't bad, and its been all downhill since. SC was great, and its just gotten better and better since (I think... Haven't gotten HotS, yet. I wonder when that's going to drop in price a bit...)

ConCat

macrumors 6502a
:eek:
so, after the failure of the real money auction house experiment in Diablo 3 , the quest for a revenue model to replace World of Warcraft when the last few people still playing die of shame (im pretty sure only 8 people play now, but each has a million accounts)

So now this looks like Blizzards 1st attempt at the EA, "lets screw everyone over on micro transactions" Real Racing 3 method of gaining revenue.

Free Starter pack will be useless against anyone who has spent money on expansion decks, and the expansions you buy will be made useless every other week by new decks being released so you have to keep buying new decks if you want to actually win.

I don't think wow will ever die. Whole new generations of people are being born all the time to pick up where those of us who left the game left off. So many new lives to ruin.

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
I used to love Blizzard, own all their games up to Warcraft III but after Diablo III and it's requieriment to always be online to play (and their constant server crashes which prevented me to play even while connected) I just gave up. I also was planning to buy Starcraft II but got dicouraged with the whole thing about different regions.

Activision ruined Blizzard imo.

You can play on any region's server now. I was playing Arcade games with a friend in California on the US server last night.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
They wouldn't because Warcraft 3 and Starcraft 1 are playable offline that means, lots of people would obtain it without paying through jailbreak while this Heartstone even though it's free, it's an online-only game. That means blizzard control everything. It's like what they did with Diablo 3.

1) You can't play it without logging in.
2) You can't cheat in-app purchases because all your game info, items, etc are saved on their server.

Well even with online only play, item dupers are running wild in Diablo 3. And Blizzard isn't doing much to combat that.

theanimaster

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2005
ARRRrrrrrGH... I already got Two Towers... but good thing that was a long way back.

Can't.... resist... Blizzard..... game...

I also just purchased Heart of the Swarm (after spoiling myself with all the cutscenes on YouTube... darn if only I had know they put in those pre-rendered cutscenes a lot more often than they appeared in WoL).

I still hate World of Warcraft though -- got two expansions which I NEVER payed or ever got to play because they upped the specs, which made it unplayable on my mac at the time. Now that I have a mac that can play it however -- I'm not forking over money for 'game time'.

----------

Barcraft (the SC2 arcade game) > This Hearthstone.

And gotta love the MacAdvertising forums :) (this place)

REALLY???? I gotta check that out... ~!!

definitive

macrumors 68020
Aug 4, 2008
not wasting any more time on blizzard games. they've demonstrated that they lost their way ever since they released diablo 3.

this is just another magic the gathering online ripoff. should have made a dota clone instead.

makingdots

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2008
not wasting any more time on blizzard games. they've demonstrated that they lost their way ever since they released diablo 3.

this is just another magic the gathering online ripoff. should have made a dota clone instead.

They are working on it and it's already announced. It's called Blizzard All-Stars.

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
If I'm going to waste my time its not going to be for a card game, where the cards don't even exist... they're virtual.... wait....

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
REALLY???? I gotta check that out... ~!!
Yes you should. If you own StarCraft 2. It's surprisingly fun. And it's also how a card game can be very simple but also addictively fun. It is multi-universe though. Ie it has cards and heroes from SC, Diablo and WC universes.

Seriously it's worth a look.

shardey

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2010
Colorado
not sure if you know about this, but there is a work around for it.

go to the application icon in Applications --> show package details --> data file --> grey icon (im at work and dont remember) but it does work this way

You need to have the application updated in 10.6.x from the PowerPc/ Rosetta binaries to the Intel. Then you can play on 10.7 and beyond.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.