Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
Thats bad backlight bleeding? Thats about as good as most LCD displays get!

picture obviously doesn't give the full picture (no pun intended)

and no, that is bad light bleed and not normal. i have an iPad 2, iPad 3 and many many other non-Apple devices with LCD screens. nothing is like that.

i did have an iPad 4 that had bad light bleeding, that went back.

charge me a premium price for a perfect product (Jon Ive said it was perfect in his video), then i demand premium quality. it's my right as a consumer

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
picture obviously doesn't give the full picture (no pun intended)

and no, that is bad light bleed and not normal. i have an iPad 2, iPad 3 and many many other non-Apple devices with LCD screens. nothing is like that.

i did have an iPad 4 that had bad light bleeding, that went back.

charge me a premium price for a perfect product (Jon Ive said it was perfect in his video), then i demand premium quality. it's my right as a consumer

Return it then.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
The old CEO spent so much effort convincing people Apple made Perfect Magical Products, they got sucked into believing it.

To ad to that, he drove expectations so high, buyers go to great lengths to find things wrong even when they lack the knowledge to know any better.

Then making matters worse, due to Apples high prices and extreme profits, they will replace almost anything for any reason, even abuse by customers.

By now you've given the consumer the impression Apple replaces nearly anything just because they love their customers.

That's a joke, it's business, not hugs & kisses. But hey, it's how Apple operates. What a concept

My mini's glass bends & I'm glad it does. It's better than breaking.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
Of course. Having it not fused is better for fixing the screen though, which is why I guess they did it that way this time around.

while you raise a good point, that was not the intent of Apple with the iPad Mini screen. the full size iPad doesn't have the glass screen fused to the LCD either, but the the glass is thicker (vs the Mini) so the glass tends to lay more flat against the LCD by itself. since the glass screen is so thin on the iPad Mini (Apple touts how thin it is in the promo video), it results in more warping and flex. i have a feeling some screens were warped more than others (the OP here and my iPad Mini that i ended up returning). mine didn't even flex as much as the OPs but it still sounded like a plastic cup when i typed. it was annoying

Last edited:

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
I never even noticed that, but you're right, it does sound a bit weird when you tap on it. My MacBook Pro's keyboard is noisy too though. So I can deal with it.

i would have thought it was normal - except i had a full size iPad to compare it to

Tortri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
I came across this youtube video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bKs6JAuDjQ&feature=youtu.be

And noticed my iPad mini screen has the same effect when pressure is applied to it aswell.

Can someone confirm that this is normal please?

I posted that video and for what it's worth I have three ipad minis (black 32gb) and all three have the bendy screen.

It's normal, but was shocked when I first found it because I also have an iPad 3, iPhone 5, 4s and 4, none of them have the bendy screen like the ipad mini.

nebrot

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2011
北京 (Beijing)
Don´t understand?

No issues with my mini and certainly the best engineering / build quality I had in my hands so far. The glass is thin because it has to be thin and reduces the overall weight, which is one of the main selling points. It still feels incredibly sturdy in my opinion - compared with the plastic trash available on the marked... All products are build by humans in the end - electronics, cars, and much more - those products have variances in one way or another. Take a good whisky aged 16 years - bottled 2011 tastes for sure different than the one bottled in 2012, does it have a production flaw? Some friends have new LED TVs and all of them have backlight bleeding, some have more - some have less. They can choose to use a great TV or return it, maybe they are "lucky" and get a TV where the bleeding went from top to bottom. My mini has a little tiny bit of "bleeding", but I never notice it excpet when I am looking at a black screen, but why should I do this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.