Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Teste

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2011
3GS? Holy **** you're long overdue for an upgrade.. Not a bad phone mind you, the phone felt good in the hand, but even with spec bumps being minor at each release, 3GS is a little long in the tooth now...

Honestly, I gave up on updating any time soon after buying an iPad (3). The retina display and the bigger screen are perfect for the two things I do the most - write and read. I didn't like the design of the iPhone 4, nor the longer screen of the iPhone 5 (when reading or writing in landscape mode, the iPhone 5 screen actually shows less than the iPhone 3GS screen). My iPhone is still under iOS 5, and I see no reason to upgrade it.

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
All right. I'm assuming the S off contract will cost me around $730 with taxes?

$649.00 plus what ever tax is in your neck of the woods plus applecare + if you want it, and not forgetting the all important, how much memory. 16GB for the example.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-03-24 at 1.40.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-03-24 at 1.40.52 PM.png
    24.7 KB · Views: 51

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
Probably only after people realize that they don't need a new phone every couple years.

I'm still using my iPhone 3GS. Buying it was a revolution for me - my first smartphone, and one as great as the iPhone. I haven't upgraded since then because I have no reason to - I have an iPad 3 with retina display, and all other "innovations" in the iPhone have been mindless gimmicks (hi Siri!) or actual downgrades (Maps app).

It's not a matter of having a revolution every 6 months - there has been no revolution since the original iPhone, other than maybe the retina display. Everything else has been at most slow evolution.

Same here. And agreed on all points.

I buy phones based on what I want it to do and there really is no reason to upgrade, because 4, 4S and 5 really have nothing important on 3GS. The screen is nice, but other than that, what? Gyro? I don't need it. And they aren't that much faster, I've used iPhone 5. Frankly, I feel like I'd have a buyer's regret buying it, it's the same thing pretty much.

When smartphones have something worth upgrading for, I'll upgrade. Here are my requirements:

USB 3.0
2GB RAM, minimum
Nokia N8 beater camera with OIS
H.265 Hardware Decoding
aptX BT
iOS - 3GS will most likely not get iOS 7, and if it's really, really good, it may be worth upgrading.

So yea, not interested in Galaxy S4 or iPhone 5S much either.

Shockwave78

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2010
I think sooner or later the masses will realize that phones don't need a revolution every 6 months. It's amazing how many people buy a 4S or 5 at launch and hope that it lasts for a long while. Yet these same people complain when the next iteration isn't a ground breaking piece of innovation. Imagine if every 12 months apple released a totally new and mind blowing phone? At $650 a pop, it's not cheap.

Prime example right here of :rolleyes:

I would prefer apple to release a phone every 6 months, or any carrier with there flagship device.

So your comments state that "imagine" if apple release a new phone every 12 months, well guess what..they do. WTF have you been the last 5yrs :confused:

And yes i do get the iphone year since release, and i have had 3 Galaxy S3's also along with 2 Galaxy Note II's and a Droid Razr Maxx HD...all in 2012. You know how much money i spent on all those phones? My original full $850 i spent on the 64gb iphone 5. Which actually only cost me $300 since i sold my 4s for $550.

I don't understand peoples thought patterns here but if apple releases a new phone with "mind blowing features" then why not get it? You sell your current iphone for a minimum of $400-$500 which could be sold within minutes on Craigslist or ebay even after the launch of whatever iphone just came out. You take that money and pay for the full retail price new iphone.. So you end up paying your subsidized price again roughly..

Then when your due for your upgrade the following year you sell your phone for yet again $400-$500 and pay the $200 for the new 2yr contract price making $200-$300 to put in your pocket.

Its not rocket science here..You can afford it every year, just use that brain in your skull once in awhile

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
How is it that an iphone, ipad, and mac computer work "seemlessly" ? I can't even get icloud to work unless i turn on wifi and connect the cable to the wall, meaning I won't be able to use it for an hour. You still can't sync icloud automatically over 3G or 4G. I can't sync itunes and my iphone together unless their both on the same network and itunes is open on my computer. You can't make a facetime call to anyone unless you know they have an iphone and you know what model they have so you can keep up with the latest apple restrictions. Why would you want to open up an excel (oh wait, it's called numbers) document on an iphone or ipad when you can't even type a formula in in less than 10 seconds?

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
How is it that an iphone, ipad, and mac computer work "seemlessly" ? I can't even get icloud to work unless i turn on wifi and connect the cable to the wall, meaning I won't be able to use it for an hour. You still can't sync icloud automatically over 3G or 4G. I can't sync itunes and my iphone together unless their both on the same network and itunes is open on my computer. You can't make a facetime call to anyone unless you know they have an iphone and you know what model they have so you can keep up with the latest apple restrictions. Why would you want to open up an excel (oh wait, it's called numbers) document on an iphone or ipad when you can't even type a formula in in less than 10 seconds?

You can sync iCloud stuff over cellular service. You just have to enable it. And why shouldn't the iTunes and iPhone being synced together be on the same network? Need to make sure you're both on a secure connection and can actually communicate with each other. The FaceTime has nothing to do with your first sentence. It does work seamlessly with other Apple devices. If you know they have one, you're good to go.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 29

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Knowing that Samsung will upgrade the Note 3 to a 1080p display and processor that is twice as fast as my Note 2 the choice is easy.
I would like Apple to be a leader but their just relying on their fan base to save them. Apple's followers is the reason for this very post.

Retina use to mean a lot but now it's just a marketing phrase that is almost 3 years old. Google now is more powerful than Siri. And Apple maps is.....

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
Interest is waning?:

Apple sells millions upon millions of the 5S, with pre-sales selling out in likely less than 24 hours.

"But it's not what I waaaaaaannt!!! Booooo! I wanna bigga scareenn! I swear Ima gunna leave if they don't do it!!!"

Apple doesn't GIVE A FLYING CRAP if a handful of users want a revolutionary phone with a 10" screen and a 5GhZ processor. They are a BUSINESS, they have already revolutionized the phone, and they are now in the rotation of MAINTAINING what they've built.

Seriously, go buy a Samsung and move on, the iPhone is a WONDERFUL phone for the 99% of people who AREN'T hung up on things likely to never happen (We GOT a bigger screen... it is so incredibly unlikely they will do it again any time soon. You will be much happier when you ACCEPT that, and base your decisions on what YOU want, not what you want Apple to do to keep you happy).

Why would they "revolutionize" a product that was sold out for months, just received ANOTHER award for Customer Satisfaction, and has the HIGHEST profit margin in the industry?

That's right. Interest is "waning"...

Sure it is. LMAO

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
The excitement is gone mainly because the iPhone has been on the market for several years and smartphones have become a dime a dozen. Until Apple comes up with a device that is unlike anything existing, interest will be small at best.

Smartphones have not become "smarter" in the traditional sense. Their upgrades have been cosmetic with minor engineering bumps. Until smartphones have the same capacity to solve problems as traditional computers do now, I don't see interest increasing.

My interest level for Apple phones has declined since version 3Gs. The current version just lacks the wow factor.

The final thing I believe has caused waning interest is the cellular carriers themselves. When the first Apple smartphone came on the market, almost every carrier offered unlimited data usage. Now that unlimited plans are extinct, it has become less inviting and more expensive to use smartphones for their glory.

Just my 9 cents.

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
The excitement is gone mainly because the iPhone has been on the market for several years and smartphones have become a dime a dozen. Until Apple comes up with a device that is unlike anything existing, interest will be small at best.

Smartphones have not become "smarter" in the traditional sense. Their upgrades have been cosmetic with minor engineering bumps. Until smartphones have the same capacity to solve problems as traditional computers do now, I don't see interest increasing.

My interest level for Apple phones has declined since version 3Gs. The current version just lacks the wow factor.

The final thing I believe has caused waning interest is the cellular carriers themselves. When the first Apple smartphone came on the market, almost every carrier offered unlimited data usage. Now that unlimited plans are extinct, it has become less inviting and more expensive to use smartphones for their glory.

Just my 9 cents.

T-Mobile is offering cheaper plans including a $70 unlimited everything plan.

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
It throttles you after 2GB of data, though.
No. There is a $70 plan that is truly unlimited. I am at 5.7 GB with no throttling. When I signed up for the plan, it stated that there will be no throttling and there isn't. I leave my Nexus 4 on data only because the speeds are faster than my ISP.

Even the $30 100 minutes, 5GB data is a good buy.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
No. There is a $70 plan that is truly unlimited. I am at 5.7 GB with no throttling. When I signed up for the plan, it stated that there will be no throttling and there isn't. I leave my Nexus 4 on data only because the speeds are faster than my ISP.

Even the $30 100 minutes, 5GB data is a good buy.

Really? Well, I'm very glad to be wrong. Very interesting info! Thanks.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Prime example right here of :rolleyes:

I would prefer apple to release a phone every 6 months, or any carrier with there flagship device.

So your comments state that "imagine" if apple release a new phone every 12 months, well guess what..they do. WTF have you been the last 5yrs :confused:

And yes i do get the iphone year since release, and i have had 3 Galaxy S3's also along with 2 Galaxy Note II's and a Droid Razr Maxx HD...all in 2012. You know how much money i spent on all those phones? My original full $850 i spent on the 64gb iphone 5. Which actually only cost me $300 since i sold my 4s for $550.

I don't understand peoples thought patterns here but if apple releases a new phone with "mind blowing features" then why not get it? You sell your current iphone for a minimum of $400-$500 which could be sold within minutes on Craigslist or ebay even after the launch of whatever iphone just came out. You take that money and pay for the full retail price new iphone.. So you end up paying your subsidized price again roughly..

Then when your due for your upgrade the following year you sell your phone for yet again $400-$500 and pay the $200 for the new 2yr contract price making $200-$300 to put in your pocket.

Its not rocket science here..You can afford it every year, just use that brain in your skull once in awhile

Maybe you can afford it, and I can afford it, and so can others but unless you don't understand that over 40 million people are on food stamps and millions more are barely making it, you also won't understand the business model of making people buy new phones every year does not work.

And while you may have sold your 4S for $550 at the iPhone 5 launch, you were the only one in North America who found someone clueless about 4S pricing.

Willsonchen

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2013
well, this topic has already been discussed several times, nothing new to talk about, just wait the iPhone 5s, and we will know whether the rumor is true.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2010
$649.00 plus what ever tax is in your neck of the woods plus applecare + if you want it, and not forgetting the all important, how much memory. 16GB for the example.

Cool. Thanks. I really want the S. I've never had an S before. But I don't plan on upgrading to iOS 7. So if the speed of my iPhone 5 is the same as the S with iOS seven I might not upgrade.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
True. However, the OP starts off by saying that there is waning interest in the next iPhone without providing any proof of that statement. So it is to be expected that he will take some grief about it.
Yeah I realize that but OP's get grief more often than not around here regardless of their stance. I for one do believe that there is waning interest in iPhone. It's not critical yet but when I see respected Apple tech journalists switching from iPhone to a high end Android phone like the Samsung Galaxy S3 (Or S4 now), I believe that does point to a problem for Apple.

I believe that its possible that the upcoming iPhone 5S may be the last "S" model. I think by 2014 we may start seeing a new model each year along with a second or third choice. Possibly an iPhone 6, a less expensive model and 2 different sizes. Apple has started to be reactive unlike a couple years ago. First came a larger iPhone which most everyone said would never happen and then came an iPad mini which they also said would never happen.

Regardless what anyone here or elsewhere will want you to believe=, they released these models as a reaction to the market and the voice of the consumer (Which we all know of course that Apple NEVER listens to).

The bottom line is, there is waning interest in the iPhone though not critical yet. Just ask Sony and Blackberry how well it worked to keep things status quo and believing that they will always be on top because after all they had the best TV's and cellphones respectively.

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Yeah I realize that but OP's get grief more often than not around here regardless of their stance. I for one do believe that there is waning interest in iPhone. It's not critical yet but when I see respected Apple tech journalists switching from iPhone to a high end Android phone like the Samsung Galaxy S3 (Or S4 now), I believe that does point to a problem for Apple.

Sorry, anecdotal information aside where are the sales numbers to back up this assertion that the general public's interest in the iPhone is waning? Everyone can decide to be a soothsayer and predict Apple's demise, but prove to me that it's happening now. I don't know anyone who has an iPhone now that is either considering switching away from their iPhone to another brand or lamenting their phone vice a competitor's. So based on my anecdotal information iPhone is doing just fine.

ArizonaKid

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2005
Arizona
Honestly don't know. If growth were to continue then no. What I do know is AAPL certainly needs the next big thing (no pun intended).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.