Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

canhaz

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2012
QNap is an awesome NAS box, but for me Synology is the top dog. I've had the DS1511+ for a few years and looking to buy another.

The software quality (especially UX side of things) is really in a class of it's own.

It's expensive, but some things are worth paying a bit extra for.

Aceq

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2013
connecting Synology NAS to Samsung TV

Hello All,

I am literally going crazy and cannot make my mind one which one of these to choose. I would like to ask all of you who are using/used Synology or Qnap to assist me here with this decision. What are the +/- of each and which one would you recommend and why?

The reason I cannot make my mind is that they are very similar based on spec and price wise i don't have a problem, I know it would pay off in long run. My main usage will be:

1. to back up my laptops (Windows and Mac)
2. Have a itunes library that i can stream anywhere (mobile, PS3, etc.)
3. Store my photos and being able to share them with anyone over the internet
4. store my videos/movies and being able to share them over the internet
5. store my files and being able to access them anywhere with any device
6. Optional: run a tiny web server

I know both of those devices offer all of them in one form or another and that is why it's hard to decide. Help me out and it's much appreciated.

If you think that any other Model is more suited for my need, please do mention it.

Hi ajamali,
I wondered if you have figured out a way to stream from your NAS to Samsung TV? I am using Vuze and can only stream from the laptops, but even though my NAS is seen on Vuze, I cannot get to its content on Samsung...

thanks!

Moasson

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
In Yo Face
Hi ajamali,
I wondered if you have figured out a way to stream from your NAS to Samsung TV? I am using Vuze and can only stream from the laptops, but even though my NAS is seen on Vuze, I cannot get to its content on Samsung...

thanks!

Aceq,

Unfortunately, I have not found a solution for it. I was looking into it and visited the Synology website and looked at my device's page and some other Synology products. I noticed a difference and that is that my model's (DS413J) page does not mention anything about it being certified for DLNA devices, so, I'm guessing that is the problem. On the other hand, Synology's DS212J mentions that it's DLNA certified.

I'm not a techie guy and don't know much about linking devices in my home network, but I think that could be the reason why I couldn't get it to work with my Samsung TV.

Hope I am wrong but for now I just use it for other purposes.

:)

----------

Yeah, I'd actually like to know the reason because all the threads in this forum recommending it don't really explain why or how it's better than, for eg, the WD Duos.

Please read my review on first page. I went on explaining some of the things that you are probably looking for as well.

----------

I am looking for a NAS to back up all my video files but also have fast transfer spreed. I want at least 4 docks so I can have 2 raid 1 configurations. i ant to be able to have access to the data all over the world. So which Synology fullfill this best. Don't want to higher specs than i need.

I read you can you host your website from a NAS so I don't need a website hosting priver anymire. How does this work, have no clue ??? Do I need additional software ? The website is designed with Freeway 5.5 pro.

Just a tip : never buy from Lacie, those f....... throw away my backup disk which I send them together with a failure disk !!!!

I think any synology device would do what you are looking for. However, if you are looking for higher Read/Write speed then you must pay for a higher end model as they have bigger memory(RAM).

I am hosting my website, which is just few static html pages from my synology nas and it works perfectly. I think you can also host websites that use database such as wordpress. You dont need any additional software, everything is available in the disk station itself and the Synology's UI is amazingly simple and intuitive. You should be able to find your way around it easily.

Synology is indeed a bit expansive but it's an amazing product with SO MUCH to offer compared to other NAS devices.

dhodory

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2013
Southwest Ohio
Chiming in here .... have had a QNAP NAS for 4+ years now and I cannot recommend one. I had a hardware failure (power supply) in year three, and QNAP refused to cover it even though it was a known problem with the power supply on my particular model. Since the replacement of the power supply, the unit has been ok (crosses fingers). I would not recommend QNAP if you're not seriously technically inclined, as I am not - I tinker (have built my fair share of PCs) but the QNAP is a fairly technical machine. One needs to know his/her way around networking and server configuration quite well to sort it all out - which is just a nice way of saying that QNAP's software UI isn't too friendly.

If I had to do things over I'd get Synology.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.