Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

This weekend at a PAX East panel, Firaxis announced that it is in the process of porting its critically acclaimed strategy game XCOM: Enemy Unknown to iOS and that it will be available sometime this summer.

xcomios.png
While speaking with Joystiq, XCOM: Enemy Unknown Lead Designer Jake Solomon said that gamers can expect a similar experience to the console and PC versions of the game.
"It is a straight port. We have not made any gameplay exceptions," XCOM: Enemy UnknownLead Designer Jake Solomon told us. "You play the exact same game [as on PC or consoles], it's just now fully playable on an iPhone or an iPad."
Solomon also said that the game would include the Elite Soldier DLC and that the "full game" is being ported over to iOS devices. This would be a relatively major milestone for iOS gaming, as it represent a full port of a high-profile console and PC game that was released just six months ago.

The move comes a month after the game was announced for Mac with a launch date of April 25. XCOM: Enemy Unknown is a re-imagining of the classic 1994 strategy game "X-COM: Enemy Defense" and was developed by Firaxis and published by 2K Games for consoles and PC.

In the game, players are tasked with leading secret government organization XCOM to defend the world against aliens. They oversee base management in addition to combat strategies while maintaining relationships with countries to fund their organization and save the world.

Although no price has been announced, Soloman said that it will be at a "premium price point," which would likely put it in the $15 range.

Article Link: Critically Acclaimed Strategy Game 'XCOM: Enemy Unknown' Coming to iOS

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Will it be on iPhones/iPods or iPads only?

Quote from the article:

"It is a straight port. We have not made any gameplay exceptions,"*XCOM: Enemy UnknownLead Designer Jake Solomon told us. "You play the exact same game [as on PC or consoles], it's just now fully playable on an iPhone or an iPad."

OtherJesus

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2005
Bay Area, California
Great news! This game was made to be played on an iPad. Controls are perfect for it.
Love, love, love this game on my Xbox and looking forward to having it with me on iOS.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Quote from the article:

"It is a straight port. We have not made any gameplay exceptions,"*XCOM: Enemy UnknownLead Designer Jake Solomon told us. "You play the exact same game [as on PC or consoles], it's just now fully playable on an iPhone or an iPad."

Thanks, I missed that. They mostly just said "iOS" in the article and the pictures were all of the iPad

illitrate23

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2004
uk
$15 is a bit much though, for a game that's just a straight port of something that's already a year old isn't it?
if they'd brought it out on iOS alongside the PC and console versions, then sure, $15 would be reasonable.
But i think i shall wait for another month or two for the price to inevitably fall to $5. i've waited this long, i can wait a little longer.

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
$15 is a bit much though, for a game that's just a straight port of something that's already a year old isn't it?
if they'd brought it out on iOS alongside the PC and console versions, then sure, $15 would be reasonable.
But i think i shall wait for another month or two for the price to inevitably fall to $5. i've waited this long, i can wait a little longer.

The game still sells for $30-40 on PC/Consoles. Why would you think half the cost on a platform more suited to the playstyle of the game is overpriced? It's the same game, with a better interface. I'd buy it if it was $40, cause I haven't picked it up anywhere else yet.

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2003
Washington

How look how far we've come, that this can even be an expectations. Why, when I was a kid playing games on my Mac, the "port" came out 3 years later, buggy, and still cost full price and your first born. AND in order to even acquire the game one had to walk to a physical store, uphill both ways. Sometimes it snowed.

$15 is more than fair.

canman4PM

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2012
Kelowna BC

And games over 1 year old are typically $20+ for the PS3, so...

Last edited:

mikecorp

Suspended
Mar 20, 2008
This game has such a potential! And still they manage to scr%w it up! It is great that it comes for an ipad! Game is week on content! It needs improvement without it! Price should be 0.89cents

Renzatic

Suspended
No doubt. And here I was all excited to get it on Mac. Now I'm not sure which way I would go....

My suggestion? The iPad. I already own the game, played through a good chunk of it, and I'm getting it again just because...

A. PORTABLE XCOM! YEEAAAAHHH!

B. The gameplay style is practically made for touchscreen controls.

C. I want to support developers who release full on proper games for the iPad, so we'll get more of them in the future.

D. PORTABLE XCOM! YEEAAAAHHH!

The downside is you'll have to wait another couple of months for the game, and the graphics probably won't be quite as good on the iPad as they are on the PC and Mac, but...hell...

PORTABLE XCOM! YEEAAAAHHHH!

----------

AND in order to even acquire the game one had to walk to a physical store, uphill both ways. Sometimes it snowed.

Sometimes it snowed? What are you? Some kinda wuss who grew up in wussyland? We had to fight polar bears every time we stepped outdoors in my neck of the woods. I lost both my brothers and my sister walking to the video store to rent Mario 3 back in the Blizzard of '89. 'Ole Leroy ate well that night, let me tell you...

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
How look how far we've come, that this can even be an expectations. Why, when I was a kid playing games on my Mac, the "port" came out 3 years later, buggy, and still cost full price and your first born. AND in order to even acquire the game one had to walk to a physical store, uphill both ways. Sometimes it snowed.

$15 is more than fair.

That could well be current day if Simcity doesn't get it's act together*.

*Knowing my luck Simcity's parallel release was a surprise release this morning.

XCOM was one of the few games that made me consider buying a PC.
$15 is great value in comparison.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Sometimes it snowed? What are you? Some kinda wuss who grew up in wussyland? We had to fight polar bears every time we stepped outdoors in my neck of the woods. I lost both my brothers and my sister walking to the video store to rent Mario 3 back in the Blizzard of '89. 'Ole Leroy ate well that night, let me tell you...

$15 is more than fair.

timthumb.php

Have at you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.