Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google has updated its Google+ for iOS app, adding new photo editing features like filters, rotation, and crop, alongside a new profile design that makes +1, reshare, and comment buttons easier to access.

google_plus_update.jpg
Back in September of 2012, Google purchased Snapseed, which was created by Nik Software. The new photo editing elements that are in the Google+ update come directly from the Snapseed app, with many of the same award winning filters and simple gesture-based editing tools. Here's a full list of the enhancements:
-New photo editing features: add filters, rotate, and crop
-New profile design
-New notifications tray
-New set-up flow for new users
-Control the volume of posts that you see in your stream from individual circles/communities
-Filter search results by best or most recent
-Tell your friends about a community (by sharing it or sending an invitation)
-Re-share posts to communities
-Display counts for unread messages in your communities
-Additional community moderation features
Google+ for iOS can be downloaded for free from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Google+ for iOS Updated with Profile Redesign and Photo Filters

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Unfortunately, only two of contacts use Google+ (and none of my friends that work for Google), and much more sparsely than Facebook or Twitter.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Oddly enough, I logged into my G+ yesterday for the first time in months. That's usually how it goes for me. Use it for a day or two, then go months without even remembering it exists.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Google+ should try to redefine how a social network is used rather than replicate and combine current social networks. That's not how you surpass market leaders.

TXCherokee

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2012
I, and about 10 friends use it. But only because Google+ ties in real nicely with Google Events, Communities, and Docs, which we use to set up our game nights and gaming convention trips.

Other than that, we all use FB and Twitter.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Google+ should try to redefine how a social network is used rather than replicate and combine current social networks. That's not how you surpass market leaders.

+1.

Google should instead try to build on its strength, such as taking Gmail to the next level. As much as we all hate email, it is the oldest online social network around. And as Mailbox and others demonstrate, I think there are ways to make email work.

Instead, Google let Gmail stagnate and it has become a bloated mess with numerous usability issues.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
What would it take to actually bring down FaceBook? How did it even manage to get so many members?

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
You don't actually have to know someone to use Google+. That's what Facebook is for. I use it to follow people with the same interests as I, in this case, Photography and Jazz music. Lot's of great people to follow and discussions to partake in. Of course I'd love to have my friends on G+ so I can rid myself of FB altogether, but that's not going to happen. I love this update.

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
IMO, Google+ fails only because Facebook is too well entrenched. In a way, it's sort of stupid because from my experience, it's way better. It's strange why google can't get people to use it. It's like the whole world is driving around in broken down 80's Hyundai Pony hatchbacks, and here's someone saying, "come get your free beemer--got one for your friends, too" and everyone's like... nah... everyone's driving this POS... I think I'll keep driving it too.

But then, it is a *social* network. Makes sense, I suppose. I keep trying to coax my friends and family over, but they have the same issue. Leaving FB means leaving their social network. Ah well.

iMerik

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2011
Upper Midwest
IMO, Google+ fails only because Facebook is too well entrenched. In a way, it's sort of stupid because from my experience, it's way better. It's strange why google can't get people to use it. It's like the whole world is driving around in broken down 80's Hyundai Pony hatchbacks, and here's someone saying, "come get your free beemer--got one for your friends, too" and everyone's like... nah... everyone's driving this POS... I think I'll keep driving it too.

But then, it is a *social* network. Makes sense, I suppose. I keep trying to coax my friends and family over, but they have the same issue. Leaving FB means leaving their social network. Ah well.
I agree. I actually really enjoy what Google+ has to offer for a social network experience and the improvements they continue making. I use it a lot for family "Hangouts" and it's much easier to share family pictures and videos privately. However, that's about all I do with it so far, since most people I know don't use it. For those thing above that I do use it for, it integrates very well into Gmail, so you can reply to posts as though you are replying to email... pretty cool stuff really. I love seeing G+ updates and hope they slowly take on more users as people look for Facebook alternatives. Google isn't backing down with this one.

Hitch08

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2008
I use G+ with a number of friends scattered across the country. Very few of us use FaceBook. I have a FB account, but never use it.

If Google wanted more people to use G+, they should add the "Messenger" function back into the iPad version. They had it and then removed it in an "upgrade". Certainly would be a lot more useful than photo editing or communities options...

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004

Your analogy is a bit flawed. This isn't the issue of which is better. Google+ may indeed be better but it would be like driving a BMW that can only be driven to limited destinations. Most people would rather drive a Hyundai that can go everywhere.

What Google should've done is offer different paradigm for social network, such as what Twitter did (which is far more useful for following people/organization that you are not friends with).

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Now Google should work on unifying all of their storage space across products.

I find it ridiculous you get 10GB's of Gmail space, but only 5GB's for Google Drive. It should be the other way around.

Then you get a ridiculous 1GB of space for photos (which will easily eat up 1GB) with Picasa, but I think Picasa is dead now, since it redirects me to Google+, but at least the photos are free to store unlimited as long as you keep them 2048 pixels on the longest side (but even then I think Google automatically resizes them for you).

Still even more ridiculous is you can store 20,000 mp3/aac files for music in Google Music. That works out to about 160GB's!! of files that you can store for free.

Don't get me started on unlimited YouTube videos that obviously take up precious gigabytes.

So why in the world does Google make me pay for Google Drive? Why do they limit my GMail space? Google Drive should hold ALL my files, not all these individual silos with arbitrary limits that are widely different depending on what product you're using. This is why Dropbox has my $99 and not Google.

Last edited:

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
Your analogy is a bit flawed. This isn't the issue of which is better. Google+ may indeed be better but it would be like driving a BMW that can only be driven to limited destinations. Most people would rather drive a Hyundai that can go everywhere.

What Google should've done is offer different paradigm for social network, such as what Twitter did (which is far more useful for following people/organization that you are not friends with).

I agree with where you're going, and I'm not going to take the metaphor any farther than to say I don't think it's really that G+ is limited in any way by way of destinations. It's just that no one's using the roads. In many other contexts, that would actually be *preferable* to people, but the problem is that if it took a couple years to get everyone on one system, then inertia will keep them there, hedonists that we all are. :D

Hmm... I wonder if there's a way that Google can employ the same tactic that Apple has. That is, there was a time where the world was all PC with a fraction of users on Macs. That's totally changing these days. Google needs some kind of iPod-like feature to lure people to the site. But I guess that's comparing apples to oranges. :rolleyes:

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
I really don't like google+ because its hard to understand a new concept when almost everyone on the face of the earth is already on Facebook and your already used to that..

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I agree with where you're going, and I'm not going to take the metaphor any farther than to say I don't think it's really that G+ is limited in any way by way of destinations. It's just that no one's using the roads. In many other contexts, that would actually be *preferable* to people, but the problem is that if it took a couple years to get everyone on one system, then inertia will keep them there, hedonists that we all are. :D

The ultimate intended goal of social network is to share with intended set of people. If none (or most) of your contacts do not use Google+, there's very little reason to use it in the first place. Some may indeed prefer to use Google+ to share with very little or no one at all (a personal journal). But if a road isn't used by many cars, it is ultimately a failure and is destined to wither away without continuous funding. As Google demonstrated with Google Reader, it isn't shy about pulling the plug.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
You don't actually have to know someone to use Google+. That's what Facebook is for. I use it to follow people with the same interests as I, in this case, Photography and Jazz music. Lot's of great people to follow and discussions to partake in. Of course I'd love to have my friends on G+ so I can rid myself of FB altogether, but that's not going to happen. I love this update.

Except you can "Follow" people on Facebook now too. So there really is no point in Google+ and regular people don't use it because the only people on there is bloggers and business trying to advertise to people and boost their Google search rankings. Google Plus is a barren wasteland.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Except you can "Follow" people on Facebook now too. So there really is no point in Google+ and regular people don't use it because the only people on there is bloggers and business trying to advertise to people and boost their Google search rankings. Google Plus is a barren wasteland.

Some people like to keep certain things separate. There's no reason my friends should see all my comments about my photography hobby. I don't know about you, but my G+ is filled with new content that's relevant and interesting. Google+ is what you make it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.