Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPowers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 23, 2006
Arizona
So I know this is probably been brought up a few times, but every time I search for it, the situation is always different.

With me, I have an 80GB iPod Classic. Had it for about 4 years now with no issue. A bit ago, it feel off a table and hit the floor. I checked out it and that apple screen came up and kept staying there. So I reset it and it said that i had an empty battery, but it was mostly charged and then it went to recovery mode. I plugged it into the computer and iTunes told me about it being in recovery mode, and I couldn't do anything with it.

However, I did a scan in Disk Utility and it said it was working perfectly and I also looked through it through Finder and it worked fine as well. This is unusual because if i was ever in a similar situation with an iPod, it would say that it is damaged and then iTunes would keep telling me how corrupt it is, but it wasn't this time around.

So at the moment I am charging it hoping that when it's fully charged it will be ok, but I am just wondering if anyone has experienced something similar and if you did, what did you do to get your iPod to work?

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
So I know this is probably been brought up a few times, but every time I search for it, the situation is always different.

With me, I have an 80GB iPod Classic. Had it for about 4 years now with no issue. A bit ago, it feel off a table and hit the floor. I checked out it and that apple screen came up and kept staying there. So I reset it and it said that i had an empty battery, but it was mostly charged and then it went to recovery mode. I plugged it into the computer and iTunes told me about it being in recovery mode, and I couldn't do anything with it.

However, I did a scan in Disk Utility and it said it was working perfectly and I also looked through it through Finder and it worked fine as well. This is unusual because if i was ever in a similar situation with an iPod, it would say that it is damaged and then iTunes would keep telling me how corrupt it is, but it wasn't this time around.

So at the moment I am charging it hoping that when it's fully charged it will be ok, but I am just wondering if anyone has experienced something similar and if you did, what did you do to get your iPod to work?

Ipod Classics have mechanical hard drives in them. They break when you drop them, just like laptop hard drives. Just replace the hard drive. You have many options, google around.

iPowers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 23, 2006
Arizona
Ipod Classics have mechanical hard drives in them. They break when you drop them, just like laptop hard drives. Just replace the hard drive. You have many options, google around.

Actually, I have a friend who works for the geek squad. He told me to plug it in and let it charge for a long while, then unplug it and do a hard reset then it should work. I did that and it actually worked.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Actually, I have a friend who works for the geek squad. He told me to plug it in and let it charge for a long while, then unplug it and do a hard reset then it should work. I did that and it actually worked.

LOL Geek squad. Anyway, what I wrote about the mechanical hard drive in your iPod is true. Have your Geek Squad friend teach you about the life span of mechanical hard drives. Their life span is usually three years... because they are "mechanical" meaning they have moving parts in them.

ianwuk

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2010
LOL Geek squad. Anyway, what I wrote about the mechanical hard drive in your iPod is true. Have your Geek Squad friend teach you about the life span of mechanical hard drives. Their life span is usually three years... because they are "mechanical" meaning they have moving parts in them.

This is why I bought an iPod Shuffle and stopped taking my iPod Classic out running!

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
This is why I bought an iPod Shuffle and stopped taking my iPod Classic out running!

Me too, the first Gen shuffles have an amazing sound card.

Just wired (instead of soldered) my first new battery to a 1st Gen Shuffle logic board... whew... it works great.

YOu can rig a CF card or some other flash memory to your iPod Classic instead of buying a new hard disk drive. I may do that with mine when the hdd dies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.