Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Exotic-Car Man

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2010
USA
I think a few people in this thread need to see this video.

Your text messages are not that important, dude.

Last edited by a moderator:

AllenSSD

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2013
Its funny, from reading this board I feel like I am one of the very few that actually uses and likes Siri.

Throughout the day I use Siri constantly: Set up an appointment, call this person, send a text to that person, wake me up, who won what game last night, where is the nearest gas station, etc....

As a product that is still in Beta I think its off to pretty solid start. There was definitely a learning curve as there was with initially using a trackpad or touchscreen keyboard years ago... I am looking forward to seeing how Siri develops.

abhibeckert

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2007
Cairns, Australia
A lot of cars already have this functionality, no? For mine, I just press down on the phone's home button and Siri comes on and works through the car's speakers and microphone. What's the difference here, the steering wheel button?
In my state, pressing a button on your phone or any other GPS/navigation device is a traffic infringement unless you pull off the road into a car park first.

You're allowed to use an electronic device for directions but you are not allowed to press any button on that device while "driving or stationary-but-not-parked". A button on the steering wheel makes it legal to use Siri for navigation without puling over for something as simple as saying "I need gas" (for those who haven't used siri, that will search for upcoming gas stations along your current route).

PS: Thumbs up for an awesome ad... small car, manual gearbox, cute driver. Good job!

quizdogg

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2011
what products were you expecting in this quarter? iPhone and ipad would make no sense. they just updated iMac. apple tv (they just did a minor update) would be great but who's expecting that.

there are iwatch and itv rumors but it's not fair to hold any company to the standards (linkbaiting lies) set by analysts and rumor mills.

the only thing i'm expecting (based on tim cook's comments last year) is a mac pro and at this point i've stopped holding my breath for that.

Updating the iPad made perfect sense this spring. The added storage "update" wasn't an update, and the addition of a new plug in the bottom was the most half assed update of any product release. That puts us at a year from an actual full iPad update. When these iProducts first started coming out, people were far less tech savvy and jumped at every little update. That is no longer true. People love their iPhones and iPads and educate themselves on them. That means they expect a significant upgrade in order to trade up. I fully expected that to be released in March / April, with a newly updated iPad mini with retina in the fall so that it didn't eat into the better margins of their flagship iPad.

I don't want it, but the Mac Pro should also have been updated at this point LAST year. It is Ludicrous that it hasn't been.

You may not agree with what you believe is an aggressive time line, but the market does. $463.00 a share right now.... as a share holder, this is not what we are looking for.

sunseeker

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2004
Irrespective of any laws, eyes free is designed to make us behave responsibly when using our iPhones in the car.

From the small amount of information available about eyes free it appears that the quality of microphone and signal processing will be improved to minimize road noise and Improve the chance of Siri understanding you.
(My Jabra freeway already goes a long way
toward improving siri's performance in car due to its superior microphone and improved microphone position)

Eyes free will also change the behavior of Siri in the car, preventing the screen from lighting up and distracting drivers and preventing us from using certain features that would require the screen (like searching Wolfram Alpha)

One important thing I cannot find is whether Siri will be able to display maps on the in dash screen.
It seems like this would be a good feature and lack of it would probably be a dealbreaker for me (I have been considering the Australian version of this car because of Eyes Free for the last couple of months)
In Australia this car is a well specified South Korean made small car, with excellent fuel economy, ride and handling known as the Holden Barina CDX

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
The new Ford Hybrid gets better gas mileage than the Prius.
Don't let reality eat at your stereotypes. :rolleyes:

I might have missed it but I don't remember Ford being added to the Siri eyes-free lineup

----------

What, you mean the c-max or the fusion hybrid which both get 47 compared to the Prius' 51?

Doesn't the Pirus do better in the city vs hwy?

----------

i like the ad and all but it's false advertising. "do i have any text messages"? Siri would normally say: "here are your text messages" which she didn't say. "tell me a joke". Siri would say "okay, here's a joke"
false.

----------

i do... All the time :d
yolo

SirLance99

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2011
I thought people who don't have money only buy cheap Chevrolets, and I thought iPhones were for people with money.

Or,

I thought iPhones were compared to Ferrari so what is this doing in a Chevrolet?

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
must be plugged into cable? Chevy FAIL.

No, like maps, mail, and regular Siri, it uses whatever network you're connected to, cable, wifi, phone, etc.

----------

I thought people who don't have money only buy cheap Chevrolets, and I thought iPhones were for people with money.

Or,

I thought iPhones were compared to Ferrari so what is this doing in a Chevrolet?

Chevy has a full line of pricepoints to choose from, especially when you include all of Government Motors. This was a very likely candidate because Chevy is anxious to catch up with Ford and others, and this model was the next to go through it's redesign cycle.

----------

OMG! This is going to make my new Toyota Venza totally obsolete next year when it becomes available on 2014 Toyota vehicles. :rolleyes:

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
The Chevrolet Sonic is re-badged here in Australia as the Holden Barina, wonder if they have any plans to include it in future models?

Voice command in a car can be tricky, even using it to dial a number on your phone can be hit and miss right now.

Swordylove

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2012
Disagree. If you can't text and drive you should keep practicing at it until you're a pro...or you die horribly in a car accident from texting while driving.

It's okay if the texter die horribly. What's not okay is if other people die (horribly or not) because of him.

Winnie6052

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2010
Siri works

I use Siri for almost 50 % of iPhone usage.

Siri can read my text messages and email.

Check calendar, add an event, change or delete an event

Get directions. Find gas stations.

Open apps. Check scores. Do math. Search web.

Just use the "I" logo button when Siri starts to see how to use all the voice commands.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
if you cant text and drive you shouldnt be driving

This post is a perfect example of why the down-vote needs to return on here.

People who text and drive belong in prison so they can't kill someone in their quest to find out where their friend is eating pizza or shopping for jeans.... :mad:

IT CAN WAIT.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
This is the feature I've been waiting for since the iPhone came out. Too bad you have to buy a whole new car to use it.

Actually this car looks decent for an American make, aside from the hideous Chevrolet logo they need to dump and rebrand.

But wait...wtf...a Chevy with a stickshift? Is this real? When is the last Chevy to have a stick, the 1960s??

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
Now if only it weren't a Chevrolet blaahahaoiuhwoihcoughhing...or any other American brand because let's face it. But, Siri I think is a gimmick until I never have to push any button whatsoever.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
What, you mean the c-max or the fusion hybrid which both get 47 compared to the Prius' 51?

2013-Toyota-Prius-plug-in-hybrid-front-three-quarter-1024x640.jpg

2013+Ford+Fusion+Hybrid+1.jpg

Personally I'd sacrifice the 4 MPG for the styling of the Fusion, but that is just me. :) Comparing the size of the two vehicles you would think the Prius would achieve much higher mileage.

Last edited:

bearda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2005
Roanoke, VA
One important thing I cannot find is whether Siri will be able to display maps on the in dash screen.
It seems like this would be a good feature and lack of it would probably be a dealbreaker for me (I have been considering the Australian version of this car because of Eyes Free for the last couple of months)
In Australia this car is a well specified South Korean made small car, with excellent fuel economy, ride and handling known as the Holden Barina CDX

On the Sonic and Spark it definitely can't. There's a separate app that can (BringGo) and although it's maps aren't bad they definitely aren't up to the level f Google's (or maybe even Apple's). They're about of the quality of most in-dash navigation system.

There's nothing built in to the Siri "eyes-free" system to support displaying data on an external display.

----------

Put Siri hands free into your lowest end cars, because you know, iPhone owners tend to be cheap. What are they thinking?

Chevy's been trying pretty hard to market the Spark and Sonic to younger buyers. The in-dash display is different than what they offer for any other GM product, and the phone-based-nav is something they're piloting only on those two cars.

Chevy is piloting their smartphone integration features at younger buyers who are more likely to own and use smartphones.

ErikWood

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2013
Is speech to text the answer?

We have been working on Text and Drive software solutions since 2010. Back then Speech to Text software was not embraced by the safety communities as it was labeled another form of Text and Drive. Recent studies continue to support this - even equating Speech to Text to drunk driving.

The software itself is extremely useful but there needs to be a solution that put the drivers mind and eyes back on the road and not double checking their software interface. Reference the links below...

Erik Wood, Founder
OTTER app(s)
do one thing well... be great.

ref:
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/03/using-handsfree-texting-behind-the-wheel-as-dangerous-as-drinking-and-driving/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPzT1rqVtL0

http://www.theatlanticcities.com/commute/2013/01/voice-operated-texting-while-driving-unsafe-it-ever-was/4444/

lifeinhd

macrumors 65816
Mar 26, 2008
Personally I'd sacrifice the 4 MPG for the styling of the Fusion, but that is just me. :) Comparing the size of the two vehicles you would think the Prius would achieve much higher mileage.

I would agree, esp. considering the Prius is built out very cheap-feeling plastic.

That said, from experience the only (reasonably priced) hybrid I would even consider is the Volt.

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
Interacting with a phone AT ALL while driving is one issue I have. But there is another even more basic issue with SIRI. I have found that while we are in the car the road noise confuses SIRI. My wife has no problem with SIRI when there is no constant background noise. But with background noise of any volume, SIRI's usefulness goes down significantly (we have both have the 4S).

I have this problem as well. When I have my iPhone 5 in the passenger seat and I activate Siri, it usually picks up garbled sentences. When I do a voice recording with the phone in the passenger seat, it comes out clear though. I don't know if it's a hardware or software problem, because my 2010 Macbook Pro is nearly perfect in voice dictation yet it doesn't have 3 microphones like the iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.