Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
Let's see... $20/month (iPhone) + $50/month (base rate) + $20/month (unlimited data) = $90/month for one line.

I pay $100 for Verizon and 2GB of Data. I would rather pay $10 more a month for a far more grown out LTE network that Verizon offers.

You are comparing cost of Unlimited Data to Limited Data on Verizon at a higher cost and you still want Verizon... :confused::confused::confused::confused:

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
So $70/month unlimited everything? can I take my unlocked iPhone 5 there on 4/12 and sign up for this as a prepaid plan, or do I have to commit to a contract?

Yes but you need to pay $20/month for the iPhone as well so it costs $90/month until your iPhone is payed off, then it's $70/month.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
You are comparing cost of Unlimited Data to Limited Data on Verizon at a higher cost and you still want Verizon... :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Yes because I want Verizon's network... it's much more grown out than T-Mobile's... at least in my area.

Neokiller309

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2011
This question has been lingering for a while.

Sign up with the payment plan, cancel 1 month later. obviously T-Mobile would expect you to either return the phone, or pay the full unsubsidized value (reduced by the amount already paid) of the device.

Isn't that a "contract" ?

Yes. But you don't have to sign it to get the phone. You can purchase the phone upfront if you would like.

It is unlike other carriers in the fact that if you cancel early, You are still paying off only your phone. Not like other carriers where you are then forced to continue paying their ridiculous plan prices.

What you are doing is financing the phone. Expecting them to want reimbursement for their loan (The phone) Is no different than trying to cancel a credit card with a balance on it.

TheRealTVGuy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
Orlando, FL
3G after 500mb? Am I missing something here because on their site it says "Speeds slowed up to 2G speeds after 500 MB. "

Because they're (finally) announcing 4G LTE, everything gets bumped up a little bit. (Reads as 2G--->3G, 3G---->4G, 4G---->4G LTE)

Tibu

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2011
I'm guessing I can't use my AT&T iPhone 5 on the Tmobile network correct? I ask because I had read before that they were "refarming" their spectrum to use the same bandas AT&T.

jman240

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2009
Let's see... $20/month (iPhone) + $50/month (base rate) + $20/month (unlimited data) = $90/month for one line.

I pay $100 for Verizon and 2GB of Data. I would rather pay $10 more a month for a far more grown out LTE network that Verizon offers.

Except you don't have to pay the extra "$20/month (unlimited data)" because the base plan includes unlimited 3G data and 500mb of 4G (Im guessing LTE) data, that "$20/month (unlimited data)" is for 4G data, sure, it may be a must have for you but if you don't need it or want parents to have smart phones and know they'll never use it then it would just be the $70, until you've paid off the phone or if you bring your own phone then its $50.

Family plan with 5 phones, just using the base 3G data is $110/mo as long as you already own the phones.

qnssekr

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2011
How is T Mobile able to sell a unlocked 16g iPhone 5 for less than what Apple would charge?
T Mobile=$100 down + $20 x 24 +$580.
apple $649.

yossi

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2004
Remember, the tmobile website points out that these monthly payments are "0% APR for well qualified buyers with approved credit"

So you essentially are signing up for a line of credit, which means a credit inquiry, late payments on your credit report if you miss a payment and if you decide to simply stop paying, a default on your credit report.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Oh great.:rolleyes: My wife's been bugging me for an iPhone since the 3GS. Now I don't have any more excuses for not getting her one.:mad: Gotta get a new case to go with the new phone... Another month of ramen or mac 'n cheese for lunch.:( I guess I'll inherit here Nexus 4 next month. I paid full price from Google which was cheaper than from T-Mobile and unlocked to boot.:cool:

The "uncarrier" plan is great IMO. Lucky me. My contract expired the exact same day the started the new plan. It's was exactly the same as my old plan, minus $30.:cool::cool::cool: Maybe I can dodge the ramen bullet.;)

Bearxor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
Not only is this an awesome price, but it looks like the TMo iPhone 5 will also support HSPA+ on AWS!

Great news!

bidwalj

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2007

As long as you keep upgrading, otherwise tmobile drops the $20 once the phone is paid off.

And don't forget you are paying Verizon another $100 up front too.

tarun101

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2008
It is, but it is separate from the service. Once the phone is paid for, you don't have that part of the payment anymore. With other companies your bill doesn't go down once the phone subsidy is paid off.

Also, you may be on the hook for only $20/month if you cancel before 2 years. (not $80+ / month that ATT and Verizon will make you pay for 2 years)

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
How is T Mobile able to sell a unlocked 16g iPhone 5 for less than what Apple would charge?
apple $649.

t-mobile pays $71 or they get iPhone at that price, there is a difference buying one iPhone at $649 and couple of millions of iPhone at $580.

Check out other regional carriers like cricket ...

TheRealTVGuy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
Orlando, FL
apple $649.

How is it you can go to Sam's Club and buy 48 rolls of paper towels for so cheap?

T-Mobile buys phones in bulk. (Just like the other carriers do)

mabhatter

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2009
This question has been lingering for a while.

Sign up with the payment plan, cancel 1 month later. obviously T-Mobile would expect you to either return the phone, or pay the full unsubsidized value (reduced by the amount already paid) of the device.

Isn't that a "contract" ?

No, that money you owe them to Buy the phone separately. i would assume you also have the option to pay the WHOLE price up front... $849 for a 64GB version. And then you could start the lower payments from DAY ONE... And not have any ETF!

MauerFan

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2012
Oh great.:rolleyes: My wife's been bugging me for an iPhone since the 3GS. Now I don't have any more excuses for not getting her one.:mad: Gotta get a new case to go with the new phone... Another month of ramen or mac 'n cheese for lunch.:( I guess I'll inherit here Nexus 4 next month. I paid full price from Google which was cheaper than from T-Mobile and unlocked to boot.:cool:

The "uncarrier" plan is great IMO. Lucky me. My contract expired the exact same day the started the new plan. It's was exactly the same as my old plan, minus $30.:cool::cool::cool: Maybe I can dodge the ramen bullet.;)

Gott make sure the wife is happy! Don't wanna be in the doghouse :p

Illuminated

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2008
Denver
Yes but you need to pay $20/month for the iPhone as well so it costs $90/month until your iPhone is payed off, then it's $70/month.

You're missing a key point. So it's $100 down, then you pay $50 a month for unlimited text, talk, and 3G data, plus 500mb of 4G data. Plus you have to pay $20 a month for the phone itself. So it is only $70 a month. Where are you getting $90 a month?:confused:

tarun101

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2008
Remember, the tmobile website points out that these monthly payments are "0% APR for well qualified buyers with approved credit"

So you essentially are signing up for a line of credit, which means a credit inquiry, late payments on your credit report if you miss a payment and if you decide to simply stop paying, a default on your credit report.

If you stop paying your Verizon or ATT bill - I am pretty sure you will see a mark on you credit report for that too. Along with other expenses (unpaid bills + interest + penalties which are probably same across carriers) Verizon and ATT will also come after you for ETF (Early Termination Fees) of upto $375.

bidwalj

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2007

It's the same on a normal contract phone. If you default, it goes on your credit report too

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
Dont forget to add the tax and fees to the T-mobile plan. In reality its $80 a month for unlimited. Hmm, that is what I am paying on Verizon for my unlimited LTE data plan albeit I only have 450 minutes of talk and 1000 messages. Plenty for me and not about to give up unlimited LTE data plan to switch to a far less than nationwide LTE service.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.