Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America
Hi,

I'm really interested in re-editing one of my favorite films ("fan-editing"). I went out and bought an external Blu-ray drive and used MakeMKV to rip the movie onto my Mac. Then I've used Handbrake to convert the files to import into FCP.

But one of the Blu-ray discs is a "bonus features" disc, and ripping it only gave me a BDMV container and I have no clue how to work with it. I've opened its package contents and I see all the .m2ts files in the STREAM folder, but none of them play, not even in VLC (while VLC recognizes them, it claims their length is 0 seconds).

I don't know if this is an issue where the files are encrypted, or if I just need some software, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

(And P.S. — yes, I know there have been other threads about this issue, but most are about different uses of .m2ts files or are questions without solid answers.)

Thanks.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Hi,

I'm really interested in re-editing one of my favorite films ("fan-editing"). I went out and bought an external Blu-ray drive and used MakeMKV to rip the movie onto my Mac. Then I've used Handbrake to convert the files to import into FCP.

But one of the Blu-ray discs is a "bonus features" disc, and ripping it only gave me a BDMV container and I have no clue how to work with it. I've opened its package contents and I see all the .m2ts files in the STREAM folder, but none of them play, not even in VLC (while VLC recognizes them, it claims their length is 0 seconds).

I don't know if this is an issue where the files are encrypted, or if I just need some software, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

(And P.S. — yes, I know there have been other threads about this issue, but most are about different uses of .m2ts files or are questions without solid answers.)

Thanks.

Since you are using MakeMKV I'll just ask you if you took the disks and did a decrypted back up of the entire disk(s) including the "bonus" one you speak of or did you convert to mkv at any point?

You should try both and see if an MKV version is created and does in fact play. If yes, you can go to Handbrake most likely or if you must get it back to m2ts format, skip over to windows and try TSMuxer which can convert or demux and except for subtitles from MakeMKV.

One of the challenges with some blu ray discs is that they are branched and often have many smaller files that need to be played in a certain order or for the sake of back up - appended together. MakeMKV is smart enough to know that if a file is less than x amount of seconds, to skip it as it is probably not part of the final composite of files that make a particular full media file.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.