Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
It would be nice if we could have prefixes for Android and Windows in the alternative section. Those are the two most talked about, and it'd be easier to look through.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
MOD NOTE: Because of the way the Alternatives Forum was created to gather posts from the iPhone/iPad and iOS forums, to begin with we selected three prefixes. Phones/Tablets/OSes. Two different prefixes for two classes of devices and one catchall for OS related threads?

How do you suggest extending this without losing the original prefixes?

Phones
Phones - Android
Phones - Windows
Talbets
Tablets - Android
Tablets - Windows
mobile OSes

Or

Phones
Tablets
mobile OSes
Android
Windows

With no concern for separating out the Android phones from Android tablets, etc...

B

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
MOD NOTE: Because of the way the Alternatives Forum was created to gather posts from the iPhone/iPad and iOS forums, to begin with we selected three prefixes. Phones/Tablets/OSes. Two different prefixes for two classes of devices and one catchall for OS related threads?

How do you suggest extending this without losing the original prefixes?

Phones
Phones - Android
Phones - Windows
Talbets
Tablets - Android
Tablets - Windows
mobile OSes

Or

Phones
Tablets
mobile OSes
Android
Windows

With no concern for separating out the Android phones from Android tablets, etc...

B

I like the first. It makes more sense since we have ASUS, Nexus, and the Amazon Kindle Android tablets. Then we have the Microsoft Surface, and those other manufactured Windows tablets. We *MIGHT* consider even getting rid of the mobile OSes prefixes as phone/tablet are both mobile, and there's generally not much talk about PDAs, non-iOS MP3 players, e-readers, etc.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
What about adding to the first list:

Phones - Blackberry

I say we just leave it to sit under the Phones category. I'm not like saying that Blackberry talk isn't welcomed, but I don't think the discussion here about the BB10, etc is large enough that it would need its own category. Every other tech place I go, the Blackberry sub forums are just dead.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.