Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MACelmore

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2013
I don't want to thread-jack, but this is kinda along the same lines.

What kind of SD cards have you guys bought for your adaptor? SDHC? SDXC? Which class?

I have a 13" Retina if that matters.....

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
I don't want to thread-jack, but this is kinda along the same lines.

What kind of SD cards have you guys bought for your adaptor? SDHC? SDXC? Which class?

I have a 13" Retina if that matters.....

Actually bidding on el-cheapo SDHC, 20GBP from UK. I couldn't care less, I keep my library more or less consistent when I sort it. And its going to get sorted on internal drive before anyway.

rdunlap

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2013
Does anyone have any information on how to get one of these? I also want to know if they make a 128microSD card since that would be perfect for doubling my storage on my MBA.

I tried contacting the company and such but get no response back. Not very good customer service if you ask me.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Does anyone have any information on how to get one of these? I also want to know if they make a 128microSD card since that would be perfect for doubling my storage on my MBA.

I tried contacting the company and such but get no response back. Not very good customer service if you ask me.

I'm a Kickstarter backer and I'm following Nifty Minidrive updates pretty closely.

They are working on a new revision (Mk 3), which should be available at the end of May, before accepting sales again. It has been improved to be sturdier, eleminate potential read-only issues and comes with a new packaging. As with everything Kickstarter-related, don't be surprised if there's a delay though.

My own Nifty MiniDrive works flawlessly though. Issues are only affecting some people. I use it for my iTunes library since music doesn't require high read speed.

There are no 128GB micro SDXC cards for the moment, but they should come at some point. The theoretical limit of SDXC is 2TB.

You could always pick up one of those eBay knockoffs right now, but I personally find it unethical to steal the concept from a newly formed startup that deserve the success of their project.

rdunlap

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2013
Thank you for the info. Please let me know if you find out anything else. I was going to get the knockoff but doesn't seem as good and "regular" looking as the nifty.

I'm a Kickstarter backer and I'm following Nifty Minidrive updates pretty closely.

They are working on a new revision (Mk 3), which should be available at the end of May, before accepting sales again. It has been improved to be sturdier, eleminate potential read-only issues and comes with a new packaging. As with everything Kickstarter-related, don't be surprised if there's a delay though.

My own Nifty MiniDrive works flawlessly though. Issues are only affecting some people. I use it for my iTunes library since music doesn't require high read speed.

There are no 128GB micro SDXC cards for the moment, but they should come at some point. The theoretical limit of SDXC is 2TB.

You could always pick up one of those eBay knockoffs right now, but I personally find it unethical to steal the concept from a newly formed startup that deserve the success of their project.

Still100

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2011
Nifty Mini Drive - MicroSD adapter

I need to make one of these for my rmbp 13". Has anyone made one that works? since none of these companies are making one

Last edited:

pat12

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2012
I need to make one of these for my rmbp 13". Has anyone made one that works? since none of these companies are making one

I have looked everywhere but I haven´t found a good solution for the rmbp 13" yet.. :mad:

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
The apotop ones are finally in the UK :) Just had an email from a company called MyMemory (a bit like 7DayShop for those in the UK who havent heard of them) with this: http://www.mymemory.co.uk/Memory-Ca...or-Apple-Macbook-Air-Macbook-Pro-Sd-Card-Slot

Ordered a pack, I can live with a tiny little bit sticking out. From the looks of things the Nifty MiniDrive is a colossal failure, with most drives being DOA or breaking due to poor glue. The guys running it seem to be pissing around way too much too.

I looked at the ones on eBay but really dont fancy risking blowing my SD port with some dodgy hand made adaptor.

So yeah, got a pack of 3 apotop's and a Samsung 70MB/s 64GB Micro SD Pro from Amazon on the way (for anyone in the market, The Samsung card is faster than the Sandisk 64GB one on offer from the looks of most benchmarks).

fskywalker

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2009
I just ordered one of this at Ebay, now all I need is the micro SD card. The best deal I have seen for a class 10 64GB card from Sandisk is around $55; has someone seen a better deal?

Thanks

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
I just ordered one of this at Ebay, now all I need is the micro SD card. The best deal I have seen for a class 10 64GB card from Sandisk is around $55; has someone seen a better deal?

Thanks

Thats the best I saw when I shopped two weeks ago.

Black magic says I get 10MBps writes and 45MBps reads with that card in my recent rMBP 15.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007

Thanks

Make sure you dont buy the SD card from eBay - not worth the risk given that 99% of them will be fakes!

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
How exactly did you cut the card? The length, thickness? Explain please so I right, thanks in advance.

I have 13" Retina.

Its not so much a cut. You sand off just enough excess plastic so the card is thin enough to slide into the rMBP SD slot without interference. Its kinda obvious once you have one in hand.

This modified adapter is not something that useful for routine removal or insertion.

Last edited:

a.coward

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2010
I thought I'd take some time to post the result of my DIY SD card
adapter for the 15" Retina MBP.

I basically modified the eBay'd adapters posted earlier in this thread.
I started off by using an x-acto knife to cut off the USB plug portion
of the adapter. I was impressed that I was able to pretty much chop
the whole thing off, unlike some earlier adapters mentioned in other
threads which said that if you cut off to much, the adapter would fail.

However, I wanted a "cleaner" look, without the visibility of tape.
So, what I did was cut off the "rails" of the USB plug's protective
cover and epoxied the tip to the edge of the modified adapter (after
carefully measuring how much to cut off so that the adapter is flush
with the MBP). I'm not sure if this is clear, but hopefully the attached
images will be self explanatory.

Now, the issue was how to remove the adapter from the MBP. So,
what I did was bent a paper clip so that I could use it to pull out
the adapter from the MBP from the edges. It's a bit of a pain to
remove, but it does work. And because the edge is smooth, black
and has no latches (like the Nifty), it's really difficult to see that there
is an adapter in the SD card slot at all.

Attachments

• P1010326.JPG
    P1010326.JPG
    237.1 KB · Views: 109
  • P1010330.JPG
    P1010330.JPG
    199.1 KB · Views: 133
  • P1010335.JPG
    P1010335.JPG
    227.6 KB · Views: 127
  • P1010336.JPG
    P1010336.JPG
    207 KB · Views: 111
  • P1010337.JPG
    P1010337.JPG
    414.6 KB · Views: 207

fskywalker

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2009
I got my micro SD card and installed it on the Nifty; the adapter did not completely slide into the machine due to the fact the outside border thickness was too big. I had to reduce it a bit with the help of a knife and now it fits perfectly, had just added 64GB of memory (SanDisk Class 10) to my machine :)

otherjobs

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2011
There is nothing revolutionary in this 'invention'.
I have disassembled a broken SD card, and found out that
there are no chips/traces at the bottom half of it - only plastic.

That means, you could make your own "Nifty Mini Drive"
by simply cutting a bottom plastic part of the SD card!
Of course, that would not look nice, but much cheaper solution.

fskywalker

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2009
There is nothing revolutionary in this 'invention'.
I have disassembled a broken SD card, and found out that
there are no chips/traces at the bottom half of it - only plastic.

That means, you could make your own "Nifty Mini Drive"
by simply cutting a bottom plastic part of the SD card!
Of course, that would not look nice, but much cheaper solution.

Good to know, the only issue would be how to remove it once it is installed; the Nifty drive has a hole through which you slide a thin wire to pull it, would be harder to get out without it

otherjobs

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2011
Good to know, the only issue would be how to remove it once it is installed; the Nifty drive has a hole through which you slide a thin wire to pull it, would be harder to get out without it

Yes that would be a problem and modded card doesnt look nice,
but this way you don't have to pledge wait and pay more.

My SD card was from SanDisk, but I believe that
most (if not all) SD cards have the same construction.

ratboy90

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2009
Sorry to revive this thread but if I'm using the mini drive to play music from through iTunes, what SD card speed class should I get? Are the cheapo class 4s enough?

fskywalker

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2009
Sorry to revive this thread but if I'm using the mini drive to play music from through iTunes, what SD card speed class should I get? Are the cheapo class 4s enough?

I bought a class 10 64GB card for $50, don't know the speed of a class 4s

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.