Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ryanalogy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2009
:confused:What I know:
1) Barcode scanners can work with apps like Bento and Delicious Library.
2) iPhones/iPods can scan barcodes and qr codes.
3) Mac software (ie. Keynote, Bento) can pair with an iPhone/iPod feor syncing and control.

What I want to know:
1) Can the iPhone/iPod touch be used as a scanner-slave to scan a code, and send it automatically via Bluetooth and/or wifi to a Mac with software paired to it? In other words, can the iPhone/iPod become the scanner with it's camera to be used with software like Bento and Delicious Library?

Reason:
I want to be able to generate barcodes or qr's to inventory music instruments and sheet music in my middle school music room while using the powerful hardware I already paid lots for and not buy uni-tasking hardware such as a Bluetooth barcode scanner which costs more than my iPhone. If you have a solution for me already in mind, please, by all means talk about it here.

JessicaR

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2011
I am not 100% certain but I am thinking yes because isn't that exactly what the Apple store does? Plus, I have seen Bath & Body Works use an iPhone to scan products at a makeshift register. So while I am not sure what the software would be I would think there has to be some technology out there that allows it to happen. The downside is the technology might be very expensive. :(

Sorry I could not be more help

budgynana

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2010
this isn't going to be particularly helpful... but i have seen recent mentions of an app that does this exact thing, scan using your phone and the list of scanned objects appears on a mac. however, i cannot remember the name of it at all hence the lack of usefulness of this post. will repost if i find the link.

update: not sure if this is the same app... inventory scanner

Last edited:

Ryanalogy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2009
I am not 100% certain but I am thinking yes because isn't that exactly what the Apple store does? Plus, I have seen Bath & Body Works use an iPhone to scan products at a makeshift register. So while I am not sure what the software would be I would think there has to be some technology out there that allows it to happen. The downside is the technology might be very expensive. :(

Sorry I could not be more help

Yea, this is cool but expensive. I'm talking about using the camera to read the code and then send the info to a paired Mac making the need for the additional hardware not necessary. Thanks though!

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Yea, this is cool but expensive. I'm talking about using the camera to read the code and then send the info to a paired Mac making the need for the additional hardware not necessary. Thanks though!

Why not just use the iSight on the mac?

Ryanalogy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2009
Why not just use the iSight on the mac?

Because of what I am going to inventory. I'm a band director. I want to be able to barcode all of my instruments. Having said that, it's quite the inconvenience to take a 20-40 lb music instrument with an odd shape (ie. a tuba), lift it ever so carefully so that the tiny barcode can be red by the iSight camera. Plus, I'd have to empty every cabinet and shelf simply to carry all of the instruments a few feet to my laptop or many feet to my desktop? Very unrealistic and essentially, defeats the convenience of having a hand held barcode scanner.

kfscoll

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2009
iCody does what you're looking for. I use it with CDpedia and DVDpedia and it works like a champ.

gcoghill

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2008
Ohio
QuickMark

I just snagged QuickMark for the iPhone, and it has a Mac companion app that will send scans from the app to the Mac, to any text field. I got it to use with Bookpedia and it works great. Only $2.

yashrg

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2008
iCody looks really good. They were having a promotion a while ago but just recently the price doubled.

virtuoso06

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2012
Have you found a solution? I am a middle school orchestra director and was thinking of barcode solutions myself.

I would like to be able to label each instrument (the case as well as the instrument itself) with an adhesive barcode. When I scan that barcode with my iPhone, I would like to be able to view a database that identifies the instrument (via barcode) and it's owner (this field would need to be editable), along with condition of the instrument and some other data. Is this all possible or should I keep dreaming?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.