Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cmm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2006
NYC
I thought only via iTunes but what do you do when you runout of space on your iTunes library drive? Can you span it across multiple discs? Thanks!

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I thought only via iTunes but what do you do when you runout of space on your iTunes library drive? Can you span it across multiple discs? Thanks!

Yes you can, If you drag a Video File into iTunes from any folder anywhere it will play, BUT, there is a but, you should turn of copy to itunes Folder in iTunes advanced preferences, otherwise it will copy the file to the full disk which will not proceed since it is full.

cmm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2006
NYC
Is there a way to span it across multiple hard drives, as I don't want to have to find the files manually each time, I want to have a nice UI that shows all available videos...

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Is there a way to span it across multiple hard drives, as I don't want to have to find the files manually each time, I want to have a nice UI that shows all available videos...

Not sure you followed justperry's post...

If you have a library that is too big to fit on one disk (I have this very problem), you can load files all into iTunes from many sources/disks with no issues. The key to making that work though is that you have to turn off a preference in itunes that states something along the lines of "copy all media to your itunes folder". By turning this off, it leaves all the files in their original locations and doesn't try to copy it all to one disk. In my case, I have all of my Music on one hard drive, all of my movies on a second hard drive, and all of my television shows on a third hard drive. If I left the "copy all..." turned on, it would try to copy all of the media from those three hard drives to one single hard drive and run out of space. By turning it off, iTunes just reads everything from whatever drive they are on. When I go to my AppleTV, it just sees all the files as loaded into iTunes and it doesn't care whether it is coming from Disk 1, 2 or 3. It's all seemless.

You have to use iTunes and Homesharing if you want to read files from your local network (maybe that's the misunderstanding here?).

cmm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2006
NYC
Not sure you followed justperry's post...

If you have a library that is too big to fit on one disk (I have this very problem), you can load files all into iTunes from many sources/disks with no issues. The key to making that work though is that you have to turn off a preference in itunes that states something along the lines of "copy all media to your itunes folder". By turning this off, it leaves all the files in their original locations and doesn't try to copy it all to one disk. In my case, I have all of my Music on one hard drive, all of my movies on a second hard drive, and all of my television shows on a third hard drive. If I left the "copy all..." turned on, it would try to copy all of the media from those three hard drives to one single hard drive and run out of space. By turning it off, iTunes just reads everything from whatever drive they are on. When I go to my AppleTV, it just sees all the files as loaded into iTunes and it doesn't care whether it is coming from Disk 1, 2 or 3. It's all seemless.

You have to use iTunes and Homesharing if you want to read files from your local network (maybe that's the misunderstanding here?).

Aha! Now I get it. Thank you :)

Weerez935

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2012

Open iTunes.
iTunes tab.
Preferences
Advanced
Uncheck add all media to iTunes media folder

This means everything that is on your local or external drives stays where they are.
Then on a new drive use the add to playlist button and the movies will stay on that drive.
Consequently without the drive connected obviously you can't watch them. However you can still watch everything stored locally.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.