Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

NimbleBit, the developer behind popular games like Pocket Frogs, Tiny Tower, and Pocket Planes, tonight launched its newest freemium app, the highly anticipated Nimble Quest.

nimblequest.jpg
In Nimble Quest, players control an ever-increasing line of adventurers, battling against enemies with both ranged and melee attacks. Our sister site, TouchArcade, describes the game as a cross between Snake and a traditional RPG.
In brief, NimbleQuest is Snake, except on steroids. In the game, you control a conga line of fantasy adventurers, and, with a combination of ranged and melee attacks, you battle it out across a variety of settings against archers, skeletons, bats, and a whole lot more. Imagine if your old-school, traditional Snake snake could somehow attack incoming enemy snakes and you've got the picture.
The game melds skill-based touch gameplay with roleplaying elements including skill increases, power ups, and party building, requiring players to navigate their growing line of party members through an endless number of stages.

Though Nimble Quest is designed to be a single player game, it incorporates a guild system that functions similarly to the "Flight Crew" in Pocket Planes, offering up time-limited quests and global leaderboards.

Nimble Quest is a free app for the iPad and the iPhone that is available for download in the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: NimbleBit's Latest Freemium Game 'Nimble Quest' Launches on iOS

JetBlack7

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2011
Portugal
True, pocket planes and tiny tower were both fun and good games. But this freemium "virus"...I just can't cope with getting the game free and If I get stuck and really can't advance unless I buy in app purchases.

Rich74

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2012
Loved Pocket Planes but it went a bit meh at Christmas and I never got my Santa sleigh for doing the event and I never went back to it.

:(

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
Should we really be promoting the freemium model?

No.

Between irresponsible DLC, "always on" connection requirements, and rising prices on AAA titles, I have great fear that the gaming industry is in for another "Atari Pac-Man / E.T." singularity.

Seems like the only games coming out that are worthwhile are indie cross-platformers and the better KickStarter projects out there.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
No.

Between irresponsible DLC, "always on" connection requirements, and rising prices on AAA titles, I have great fear that the gaming industry is in for another "Atari Pac-Man / E.T." singularity.

Seems like the only games coming out that are worthwhile are indie cross-platformers and the better KickStarter projects out there.

Oh God that ET game....

CSmPCYo.gif

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Like all (yes, every single one) freemium games, there will be very little replay-ability. Nobody wants their game to crawl until they pay a few quid to speed it up.

Really hate the freemium model. EA seemed to take it to a whole new bat crap crazy level with SimCity.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
No.

That ET game actually killed the Atari on it's own. And they had to put all the game carts in the trash and concrete over them. True story.

http://www.seanbaby.com/nes/egm01.htm
Here is the game in all it's "worst game ever" glory.

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
What I find more interesting is that "Nimble Quest" basically is a clone of "Call of Snakes". And that after Nimblebit complaining about Zynga... quite poor work ethics IMHO.

larrybeo

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
Chicago
How is this a "freemium" title?

I'm not sure how this is a "pay to play' title. I've been playing it for about 5 hours and haven't paid anything yet and I am advancing in the game just fine. What are we defining as a "Freemium" title? This game is WAY more free than any other "Freemium" game I've played.

moogleii

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2010
Unfortunately for every player complaining about freemium, there's a player (or more) complaining that the game is even trying to charge a mere 99 cents. God forbid, they try to charge $5.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
No.

i think you're right but only because mobile gaming you can play anytime anywhere

to play my xbox i have to wait until my kids are asleep and then fight for the TV with my wife. i'm not playing ME3 in front of my kids.

same with the arcade downturn. to play in the arcade you had to go to a special place and spend a lot of money on gaming. console allowed you to do it at home

last 30 years mobility and the ability to compute any time beats specs/graphics all the time

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.