Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bryanc28

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 7, 2007
Arlington, Va
Why didn't T-Mobile wait to announce their having the iPhone availability when the 5s is released in a few months? Is it because T-Mobile will not carry the newer iPhone until way later?

unlimitedx

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
I think it is because Apple is using tmobile to move sales of the 5 as more people anticipate for the 5s (and stop upgrading until it is released)

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Why didn't T-Mobile wait to announce their having the iPhone availability when the 5s is released in a few months? Is it because T-Mobile will not carry the newer iPhone until way later?

Because the 5 is available to them now. Why would they wait and loose out on sales. Has nothing to do with the 5s.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
T-Mobile has been negotiating with Apple for ages.

It's apparent iPhone 5's are not selling at the same rate as previously expected. I bet Apple chose the timing so as to have help unloading iPhone 5 models in the months leading up to the next new iPhone.

Always in a position to dictate, Apple calls the shots.

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012
T-Mobile has been negotiating with Apple for ages.

It's apparent iPhone 5's are not selling at the same rate as previously expected. I bet Apple chose the timing so as to have help unloading iPhone 5 models in the months leading up to the next new iPhone.

Always in a position to dictate, Apple calls the shots.

Lika boss.

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
Because the 5 is available to them now. Why would they wait and loose out on sales. Has nothing to do with the 5s.

I'm inclined to agree with this. There are plenty of people who don't know what Apple's release cycle is. As far as they're concerned, the T-Mobile iPhone is finally available and they're going to go get it.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007

Considering that the iPhone 5 A1428 needs to be retooled to work on t-mobile LTE, t-mobile would be pretty much useless for unloading any current, unsold stock.

I'm pretty sure it's because we won't see the 5S until Q4, and like Verizon, T-Mobile didn't want to wait two whole quarters.

bidwalj

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2007
There are no contracts, they have nothing to lose by offering the 5 now and 5s later on. Anyone who buys the 5 now can get the 5s if they want.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I'm inclined to agree with this. There are plenty of people who don't know what Apple's release cycle is. As far as they're concerned, the T-Mobile iPhone is finally available and they're going to go get it.

Agreed. The people that are on boards like this and follow everything Apple are a small minority.

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
There are no contracts, they have nothing to lose by offering the 5 now and 5s later on. Anyone who buys the 5 now can get the 5s if they want.

Another good point. I could get any phone right now with T-Mobile and then two days from now get another from them. No contract extensions (as there aren't any from here on out) or anything.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Another good point. I could get any phone right now with T-Mobile and then two days from now get another from them. No contract extensions (as there aren't any from here on out) or anything.

So what happens to the first phone?

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
So what happens to the first phone?

At one point AT&T (formerly Cingular) and Verizon would pro rate your ETF based on the number of months you had remaining on your contract. I think they ended that around the time that Smartphones became commonplace.

The beauty of T-Mo's plan is that it becomes much easier o time your upgrade. It doesn't matter if the next release is April or October. If your iPhone is in good shape, you shouldn't have any problem selling it for at least what you owe on it.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
T-Mo has been pulling in disgruntled ATT members for some time, now that they're "Official" and are providing no contract services, it makes a lot of sense. Bring your iPhone (provided they don't need a unique iPhone 5 for T-Mo's network) and avoid a long term contract

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey

Do you know how much money this will generate for T-Mobile and Apple? I am just curious what the agreement between both company states, where as T-Mobile is selling the iPhone 5 for full price, so there is no sub pricing. I bet Sprint is kicking themselves in the BUTT for not doing something similar, although they really need to fix their network, so many ppl went there for unlimited data and have left.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
exactly...

THIS.. Apple > all

anyways, i really think it's tmobile's smart move cuz the more they wait, the more they lose on sales. it's a good marketing move.

Exactly my point as well, in 6 months time, all carriers will be seeing a 5S, and the people who plopped down the cash for a T-Mobile iPhone 5, can just trade them in towards a 5S.

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado

I like that I can switch my sim card between a Nexus 7 (Yes the Nexus 7 will use the sim for data only), Nexus 4, iPhone 4S and a 3GS and T-mobile doesn't send me a text saying I am using my sim in a phone not authorized for use on my plan. I couldn't tell you how many times I got a text from AT&T warning me when I would swap sims between a Blackberry and iPhone a few years back.

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
I like that I can switch my sim card between a Nexus 7 (Yes the Nexus 7 will use the sim for data only), Nexus 4, iPhone 4S and a 3GS and T-mobile doesn't send me a text saying I am using my sim in a phone not authorized for use on my plan. I couldn't tell you how many times I got a text from AT&T warning me when I would swap sims between a Blackberry and iPhone a few years back.

I currently do that between my 4S and 8X (both on T-Mobile). iMessage gets a little wonky from all the switching but apart from that it's great. T-Mobile doesn't care and neither do either of my phones.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
There are no contracts

On T-Mobile, no. On Verizon, Sprint, AT&T, of course there still are. Launching now means that they've short-circuited the contract cycle for people on other carriers who were thinking of re-upping prior to the 5S release.

It's also marketing. T-Mobile got the most bang for the buck by doing the un-carrier thing AND saying "oh by the way, we're officially carrying the iPhone 5." As opposed to becoming an un carrier now, and then being lost in the din when the 5S comes out later this year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.