Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Back in June 2011, Apple launched Final Cut Pro X, a complete reworking of the company's video editing software aimed at professional users, but the new software was met with significant criticism over missing features. Professional users in particular were upset over what seemed to be a "dumbing down" of Final Cut Pro in order to reach more mainstream users.

Apple responded to the controversy by offering refunds to dissatisfied customers and promising updates to improve Final Cut Pro X, and a number of those updates have been delivered over the past 21 months.

final_cut_pro_x_macbook_pro.jpg
The Los Angeles Times now reports that Apple is launching a new marketing campaign today intended to try to win back some of the professional users who may have abandoned the platform.
Now, after updating the software seven times since its release in 2011, Apple is launching a campaign Thursday aimed at winning back skeptical professional users.

That campaign, timed to coincide with the National Assn. of Broadcasters convention that starts April 6 in Las Vegas, will feature users like Julian Liurette, who followed the firestorm from his video editing desk in Toronto at the Globe and Mail newspaper.

After waiting a year as Apple gradually released updates, Liurette finally gave it a try and was surprised. So Liurette began moving the newspaper's video operations from the old version to Final Cut Pro X.
The campaign will also feature Hong Kong cinema icon Tsui Hark and Mexican television conglomerate TV Azteca.

The report notes that Apple has won points for its FAQ posted soon after launch outlining the company's improvement plans, as well as for a free trial offer for Final Pro X, but that many users remain skeptical of Apple's commitment to professional customers. But with professionals becoming increasingly uneasy about the future of Apple's main competitor Avid and concerned over how long Final Cut Pro 7 will remain supported, Apple is hoping that they will take a fresh look at Final Cut Pro X.

Update 11:42 AM: Apple's new features on Tsui Hark and The Globe and Mail have gone live on Apple's "In Action" page, but we haven't yet spotted a feature on TV Azteca.

Article Link: Apple Launching New Final Cut Pro X Marketing Push to Win Back Professionals

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
And given the apparent issues with the 680MX graphics card + FCPX on the 2012 iMacs, Apple may want to address that pretty quickly now.

calisurfboy

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2008
Next they will release a campaign to win back iWork users, then a campaign to win back Mac pro users, and then a campaign to.... wait... would it not be easier for Apple to keep their software and hardware updated, customers informed, and progress forward continuously with features to maintain their customers then try to explain why they should come back when they lose them out of pure neglect and ignorance?

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Next they will release a campaign to win back iWork users, then a campaign to win back Mac pro users, and then a campaign to.... wait... would it not be easier for Apple to keep their software and hardware updated, customers informed, and progress forward continuously with features to maintain their customers then try to explain why they should come back when they lose them out of pure neglect and ignorance?

Apple's product line is "chock full of stuff". Chock full of new , great , magical marketing.

jazzduck

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2011
If they want to win back professionals, maybe they could update their workstation product... oh.... ever? The Mac Pro has had nothing beyond speed bumps since its release. Meanwhile other product lines have gone through three, four, or five iterations. Seems like a waste to spend this much on advertising instead of actually paying attention to the market segment's needs.

I get that making durable, reliable, high-speed high-capacity workstations for creative professionals isn't as "sexy" or "cool" as making tiny, shiny mobile devices for teens and college students, but you would think that Apple would have something more than "neglectful contempt" for a market that, until the last couple years at least, has always been solidly on their side.

vmachiel

macrumors 68000
Feb 15, 2011
Holland
Don't be mad guys this is fantastic news. The fact that they want the pro's and "prosumor" back makes it more likely that they will in fact, release a new mac pro.

invalidname

macrumors member
May 1, 2003
Grand Rapids, MI
Not shipping a modern Mac Pro does a lot more to hurt Apple's credibility with video professionals than last year's gripes about Final Cut Pro X. A lot of editors are indeed happy with the improvements to FCPX since then (Philip Hodgetts in particular). But if they're going to be expected to run it on the absurd new iMac (it's thin! who cares!), or the hopelessly out-of-date Mac Pro, then they're right to ask themselves if Apple really wants their business anymore, and if it wouldn't be safer long-term to migrate to Premiere or Avid on Windows.

mjsanders5uk

macrumors regular
May 11, 2009
All hope was lost when they first released it. I see no worth in trying to win back the 'professionals'. We have already moved on.

I take it by that you mean to other platforms? Whist it may be true for some professionals it isn't true for all people - indeed some have stayed where there are and just watching.

There are a significant number of foolish people who have jumped to FCP X and discovered it to be a powerful beast for them. At least one BBC Network show is being cut weekly on X.

Let's not forget FCP X has had one of the most rapid release cycles for any product. Less than an year after the release we are on .0.7 with two of those releases bringing significant updates.

If you haven't tried it since day one you should revisit it as it is much more powerful.

The timing of this campaign is of course very significant, NAB starts next week and it will be a year since X was released. There are strong hints that the next major release will coincide with NAB and some of the new features have been regularly touted.

Keep it coming I say. I'm working faster and better in X - my clients pay me the same, get a better product and I spend more time with the kids. Almost a win win situation.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
If they want to win back professionals, maybe they could update their workstation product... oh.... ever? The Mac Pro has had nothing beyond speed bumps since its release. Meanwhile other product lines have gone through three, four, or five iterations. Seems like a waste to spend this much on advertising instead of actually paying attention to the market segment's needs.

I get that making durable, reliable, high-speed high-capacity workstations for creative professionals isn't as "sexy" or "cool" as making tiny, shiny mobile devices for teens and college students, but you would think that Apple would have something more than "neglectful contempt" for a market that, until the last couple years at least, has always been solidly on their side.

Yep...might want to actually release the Mac Pro before even talking about FCX (unless it's being revealed also).

Also, telling me I can use the MBPro Retina with a crappy 1GB video card in it for professional use, especially in HD video, is a joke.

2GB is standard now...how about getting that in your MBPR please.

----------

I take it by that you mean to other platforms? Whist it may be true for some professionals it isn't true for all people - indeed some have stayed where there are and just watching.

There are a significant number of foolish people who have jumped to FCP X and discovered it to be a powerful beast for them. At least one BBC Network show is being cut weekly on X.

Let's not forget FCP X has had one of the most rapid release cycles for any product. Less than an year after the release we are on .0.7 with two of those releases bringing significant updates.

If you haven't tried it since day one you should revisit it as it is much more powerful.

The timing of this campaign is of course very significant, NAB starts next week and it will be a year since X was released. There are strong hints that the next major release will coincide with NAB and some of the new features have been regularly touted.

Keep it coming I say. I'm working faster and better in X - my clients pay me the same, get a better product and I spend more time with the kids. Almost a win win situation.

Yep, I plan on trying it whenever they release the new Mac Pro or MBPR with a better video card.

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
Pros don't want marketing. They want features and reliabilty.

And regularly updated harware with all the options available to Windows users
and a full range of up to date peripherals and hardware roadmaps to aid
in planning upgrade paths and being treated like adults instead of
mushrooms kept in the dark and fed manure with silly smoke and mirror announcements
of "we'll have something cool in a few years" and... :rolleyes:

Please Apple, get your Pro act together or throw in the towel
and spin off computers to somebody who gives a *amn,

Yours truly,

A former Mac sales person

Last edited:

meli

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2004
I won't believe the claims that Apple has a long term commitment to FCP until they update the Mac Pro.

edit: Looks like I'm not alone.

kartikthapar

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2013
Baltimore
I think what the professionals want from Apple isn't just the latest and greatest tools—

but they want respect and humility.

That's all really.

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
All hope was lost when they first released it. I see no worth in trying to win back the 'professionals'. We have already moved on.

What did you move on to? I'm still using FCP '7'---but I have finally (Because of Creative Cloud---and my perennial updates to Adobe's Audition, my favorite wave editor) picked up the Master Suite from Adobe via Creative Cloud. Pretty sweet deal @ $29/month (Vs. the $2700 outlay for the suite itself). Just required the one year commitment. We'd been using After Effects as well, so giving Premier a shot was common sense. I've been using it for a couple months now...and it's cool. Especially with the new nVidia graphics cards in the rMBP. It runs really well---we shoot Panasonic AVC Intra 50/100 (HPX 250s)on P2 cards and FCP7 natively handles it well in ProRes timelines. FCPx as well, and I'm actually tempted to try 'X' as I've got kind of a lull in time business-wise until the wedding season/wildlife shoots start this summer.

Just curious what you moved to---and if you've truly given up on FCP altogether (For me---FCP 7 has worked just fine...but Premier was, as mentioned, common sense as it came with the CC suite!). I like Premier, but from what I've been looking at---FCPx looks pretty sweet right now. The multi Cam editing missing initially killed it for us. We also use Canon's 5d MkII and MkIII DSLRs to mix footage with the Pannys. Now that some of these updates have taken place, I'm intrigued. You're not?

J

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Apple need to be serious about the professional field.

To release a package of professional software and hardware that really communicate between them.

I mean, to open Logic and being able to link to FCP X in real time and have the same graphic interface and same commands.

Until now, everything has been like some sort of Frankenstein. Not to mention that those applications need to have extensions for iPad as a remote control.

There is not integration, for that reason, people are going back to Avid again.

In my case, I have FCP 7, I know FCX has very nice features but if I go to any post house I will look like an idiot if I say "I use FCX", that is for kids. I have to jump to Avid or Premiere.

avkills

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
As stated before, without a new Mac Pro tower, they can push all they want, it isn't going to help or make a difference.

-mark

poohat1000

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2005
London
They are waiting - they'll mac pro with the next big wave in power, mark my words. It'll come with the power for swift 4k editing in fcpx out the box and make everything else look slow.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
So where's Logic 10 (and no, don't call it Logic X)? It has been 3.5 years since Logic 9 shipped.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Forget it. It's clear Apple is about iOS. We get that. Ok. But we've moved on. We left Aperture 3 too. Too late Apple.

sarge

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2003
Brooklyn
Dear Apple Marketing Dept., I'm dying to be teased with a rumor of an impending Mac Pro workstation at NAB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.