Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Alongside today's new marketing push to try to win back professional video editors, Apple has released updates for Final Cut Pro X, Motion, and Compressor. While Motion and Compressor have seen mostly minor tweaks and bug fixes, Final Cut Pro X has received a somewhat more substantial update including support for the new Sony XAVC codec up to 4K resolution.

final_cut_pro_x_audi.jpg
- Final Cut Pro [Mac App Store]
What's New in Version 10.0.8

- Support for Sony XAVC codec up to 4K resolution
- Option to display ProRes Log C files from ARRI ALEXA cameras with standard Rec. 709 color and contrast levels
- Resolves an issue where some third-party effects generated green frames during render
- Resolves performance issues that could occur with certain titles and effects
- Time reversed clips render in the background
- Ability to use key commands to adjust Clip Appearance settings in the timeline
- Ability to view reel number metadata located in the timecode track of video files
- Mono audio files in a surround project export with correct volume levels
- Drop zones no longer reset to the first frame of video after application restart
- Fixes a performance issue which resulted from selecting multiple ranges on a single clip
- Fixes an issue where the Play Around function did not work properly on certain clips when viewed through external video devices
motionlogo-150x153.png
- Motion [Mac App Store]
What's New in Version 5.0.7

- Resolves an issue where some third-party effects generated green frames during render
- Resolves performance issues that could occur with certain titles and effects
- Fixes a stability issue when splitting layers in the timeline
- Fixes an issue where launching a plug-in with a check box could require multiple clicks
- Fixes a stability issue with CoreMelt plug-ins
compressor1.jpg
- Compressor [Mac App Store]
What's New in Version 4.0.7

- Removes 1GB file size limit for uploads to Vimeo
- Fixes a stability issue when playing back certain MPEG-2 files
- Fixes a stability issue in Qmaster when processing multiple jobs
In addition to the updates for the core Final Cut apps, Apple has also released an updated set of ProApps QuickTime Codecs for Final Cut Pro X users.

Article Link: Apple Updates Final Cut Pro X, Motion, and Compressor Alongside New Pro Marketing Push

martygras9

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2007
Love ya Apple, but you lost me with the update to X. I use to use Automatic Duck to move between Final Cut Pro and AE. Now I just use Premiere & AE. Makes me sad, but it's much easier.

cassiar

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2013
Vancouver, BC
This is great news!

As a pro using FCPX. It's great to see all these updates (now at 8!) in the last 2 years.

I can honestly say, after being initially skeptical at NAB when it was released, FCPX is the fastest NLE on the market. I can get to the heart of the story and really play around with the edit. It truly is the future of editing.

-------------------
(3.4GHZ Core i7 iMac, 32GB Ram, 3TB Fusion, 680MX 2GB NVIDIA, R4 Pegasus RAID) x2

brock2621

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2007
Kentucky
Same here... As a pro, FCP X handles red 4k better and faster than any other program. Saves me loads of time and probably an entire employee if I was using premiere or avid.

Nicky G

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2002
Baltimore
These new ProApps codecs are just read/decode, not write/encode, correct? Do these enable these codecs in the new-skool Quicktime player application?

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
It's the marketing push that interests me more.

I care more about Apple trying to care about Pros again more than some minor software upgrades. Hopefully this is a sign of a change in priorities.

This is coming from someone who loves FCP X at home...it's amazing software...but who still can't and won't recommend it to my bosses at work. I want Apple to push forward with it, but they're not there yet.

motorboating

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2012
...and still no worky with Xsan/Stornext or other SANs. "Pro" lololol.

Prosumer maybe. Homeworking freelancer maybe. Actual post houses? All moved/moving to Premiere Pro or back to AVID.

sfrancis928

macrumors member
May 31, 2012
Love ya Apple, but you lost me with the update to X. I use to use Automatic Duck to move between Final Cut Pro and AE. Now I just use Premiere & AE. Makes me sad, but it's much easier.

There have been multiple programs written to import FCPX projects to AE...

Link

sfrancis928

macrumors member
May 31, 2012
Yes, we're aware Apple hasn't updated the Mac Pro. This news about FCPX should not cause frustration about that. If anything it should inspire hope.

I think we've had enough carrying on about the Mac Pro for a couple of Final Cut threads.

SSDGUY

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2009
I bet — if and when — they do release a new Mac Pro, it will be "the fastest Mac ever." Amazing. ;)

filmantopia

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2010
I'm a film/video pro and love FCPX.

It's a matter of time before the competing applications about-face and copy the FCPX interface. It's far more "future proof" considering the sea change in computing over the past couple years.

mozumder

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
Really the only reason people should still be using FCP 7 is if they're stuck with legacy archives.

At this point every new project should be started with FCP X.

(or if you want to be a comedian you can use Premiere...)

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
if apple really care about the pro users, they can show it with a new mac pro.

Sounds like perfect timing to me! :)

In fact, if the Pro isn't ready, it would make sense to delay the marketing push and have a smaller NAB presence. (Although, who knows... maybe this IS the smaller presence, and a bigger push will come later with the Pro.)

I've given up my plans to get a Pro, since an Air has mysteriously been filling my pro needs. But I still look forward to seeing a new one again.

ateslik

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2008
This is all great and fine. No Mac Pro update aside, the real problem is actually much bigger than just Final Cut. The real problem is the future of quicktime itself.

There is no future for Quicktime on Windows. Apple has discontinued it. There is no Quicktime X for Windows. So how will all the content generated from Apple products be delivered to non-apple platforms - e.g. the other 80% of the computing population? Do I really need to encode an H264 AVI and an H264 MOV going forward for every media file I want people to be able to watch?

And lets not even start about the cluster-F that is quicktimes color handling across platforms. Apple's insistence on not offering a mode where quicktime player doesn't touch color at all is infuriating when you are trying to deliver content to a wide audience. Quicktime puts a wash over the whole thing, and there is no silver bullet fix. So then you get things like the Blend/Straight Alpha workaround, which introduces aliasing in full screen mode, so now your color is better - no perfect - but your content looks terrible.

If Apple is serious about catering to professionals they have a lot of cleaning house to do. At this point they are the cusp of complete abandonment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.