Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sebimeyer

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
Very, very nice indeed.

Apple: Now use what you have learned through Final Cut X improvements and use it to spice up Aperture. :D

editorjacobs

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2010
Still not a Professional NLE for Film/TV

Ok, great...Apple continues to create the ability to mix new movie files. Happy for you. Can you generate a proper EDL, Change List, Cut List, Optical Pull List, proper AAF for export to ProTools, proper programs to get your film/TV show ready for the DI? No? ...R-i-g-h-t. Any users out there that want to make a comment...if you have no idea what the hell it is I am talking about, then you have no reason to be posting a reply to my comment.

Sure...this program might work wonders for industrials or small video production houses...maybe wedding videos. And yes...there is maybe 1 program out there that has been publicized as using FCPX and their show is on cable TV. They also keep everything in house and self contained and it is their 1 show that they do.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
In my experience, the people having the most trouble with FCPX are those who are still wedded to the old way of editing. I'd like to see a more intuitive tool selection, but otherwise I'm thrilled with how quickly I can create and export projects. One thing I'd like to see is more portability of the projects; having that specific directory structure with the Projects and Events folders is clunky. I like the way iMovie uses a single package for the projects.

filmantopia

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2010
Ok, great...Apple continues to create the ability to mix new movie files. Happy for you. Can you generate a proper EDL, Change List, Cut List, Optical Pull List, proper AAF for export to ProTools, proper programs to get your film/TV show ready for the DI? No? ...R-i-g-h-t. Any users out there that want to make a comment...if you have no idea what the hell it is I am talking about, then you have no reason to be posting a reply to my comment.

Sure...this program might work wonders for industrials or small video production houses...maybe wedding videos. And yes...there is maybe 1 program out there that has been publicized as using FCPX and their show is on cable TV. They also keep everything in house and self contained and it is their 1 show that they do.

Really? EDL? Digital Intermediary? How about support for audio export to phonograph cylinders?

Things change sometimes. And that's okay.

chirpie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010

EDL is available through plug-ins (EDL-X for example lets you bring your cut into smoke, resolve, etc.) but I'd run into the arms of XML proper and ditch EDL if I could.

Last edited:

Thunderbird

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2005
Too late...most pros have already gone back to Windows. And without pro hardware, no one is going to switch back to Mac again.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I gave up on waiting for the Mac Pro, and just got an iMac to tide me over. I figure by around 2015 or 2016 when the new Mac Pro does come out, this machine will be ready for an upgrade. Then it can serve as an additional monitor for the Mac Pro in target display mode!

This wins all around. ;)

chirpie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010
These don't work?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4932

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5084

or just aren't the methodology/process you want to use ?

For those who don't have fiber and XSAN...

"Although you can access SAN locations from different computers on a network, only one installed copy of Final Cut Pro can use a SAN location at a time. If you have Events or projects stored on a SAN location, you must remove the location in Final Cut Pro to make it available to other computers on the network."

That is pretty limiting. This is it. This is the big one Apple needs to fix. Everything else is minor in comparison in my mind.

nomore

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2005
I'm not buying this until they support 1080p 60FPS AVCHD. Adobe Premiere supports it.

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
Just finished an our long film today in FCPX and used for the first time the feature to burn a BluRay directly from FCPX. Worked pretty well I have to say even so there is not a lot of control on how the BluRay does look. Some customisation can be done like adding some background picture but no music during the menu for example.

Still amazes me that Macs cannot play BluRay. I have to go to the TV to test the result (which is always a good thing to do).

I am wondering when the next payed version is coming, doesn't look like for NAB 2013. Maybe in the summer? Maybe next year?

Anyways - overall I am very happy with FCPX and would't want to use anything else.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA

Nicky G

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2002
Baltimore
...and still no worky with Xsan/Stornext or other SANs. "Pro" lololol.

Prosumer maybe. Homeworking freelancer maybe. Actual post houses? All moved/moving to Premiere Pro or back to AVID.

It does work, it's just that each editor needs to use their own Events folder/database, as there is no multi-user access to bins currently, not even something kind of rudimentary like Avid's bin-locking.

You can however have editors point to media for their own events, even if the media files are kept in place in a communal location. It's just that other stuff that lives in the Event database will be on a per-editor basis.

In short, I agree with you that it needs work, but at least media files can be on a SAN volume, as can an Event folder.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
This is all great and fine. No Mac Pro update aside, the real problem is actually much bigger than just Final Cut. The real problem is the future of quicktime itself.

There is no future for Quicktime on Windows. Apple has discontinued it. There is no Quicktime X for Windows. So how will all the content generated from Apple products be delivered to non-apple platforms - e.g. the other 80% of the computing population? Do I really need to encode an H264 AVI and an H264 MOV going forward for every media file I want people to be able to watch?

And lets not even start about the cluster-F that is quicktimes color handling across platforms. Apple's insistence on not offering a mode where quicktime player doesn't touch color at all is infuriating when you are trying to deliver content to a wide audience. Quicktime puts a wash over the whole thing, and there is no silver bullet fix. So then you get things like the Blend/Straight Alpha workaround, which introduces aliasing in full screen mode, so now your color is better - no perfect - but your content looks terrible.

If Apple is serious about catering to professionals they have a lot of cleaning house to do. At this point they are the cusp of complete abandonment.

Wow dude. Please do an internet search for AV Foundation and get caught up.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
I'm not buying this until they support 1080p 60FPS AVCHD. Adobe Premiere supports it.

You might want to check out the specs page.

Native editing4 support for:

H.264 from GoPro and iFrame cameras.
H.264 from DSLR cameras.
DV, DVCAM, DVCPRO, DVCPRO 50, and DVCPRO HD.
HDV.
Panasonic AVC-Intra, including AVC-Intra 100 and AVC-Intra 50.
Sony IMX, XDCAM, XDCAM EX, XDCAM HD, and XDCAM HD422 import supported with additional Sony software.
Sony XAVC import up to 4K supported with additional Sony software.
Canon XF MPEG-2 import supported with additional Canon software.
JVC-created XDCAM EX.
AVCHD, including Panasonic AVCCAM and Sony NXCAM.

Granted it doesn't specify 60FPS but I bet it does.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Ok, great...Apple continues to create the ability to mix new movie files. Happy for you. Can you generate a proper EDL, Change List, Cut List, Optical Pull List, proper AAF for export to ProTools, proper programs to get your film/TV show ready for the DI? No? ...R-i-g-h-t.

Is it really 100% necessary to do any of that. Or is the issue as others have said that you are stuck in old lines of thought and methods and don't want to change.

So what if Leverage is a cable show. Doesn't make it crap by default. It's a well made, very popular show. There are even 3d movies being cut using Final Cut X. If it works for them and produces appropriate quality finished goods why does it matter that they aren't making it the way you think they should. Doesn't make them any less a pro editor because you don't like the tools they choose to use.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
There is no future for Quicktime on Windows. Apple has discontinued it. There is no Quicktime X for Windows..... Do I really need to encode an H264 AVI and an H264 MOV going forward for every media file I want people to be able to watch?

It is likely Apple is going the path of following industry standards. If committed to MPEG-LA entanglements with H264 then what is wrong with MP4 ( an ISO standard container ).

Quicktime, AVI, FLV, real player , etc all come from an era where there weren't viable widespread standards and various players ( Apple, Microsoft , etc. ) all jumped in with proprietary, lock-in codecs and containers. That "war" of fragmentation didn't really pan out in the end.

There is quirky OS X specific stuff that is still hooked on Quicktime but it really didn't buy Apple very much to compete with and try to move Microsoft in the Windows context. For a while Quicktime was in part a kludge to make iTunes more easier to port but again that is a dubious effort if there are far more well grounded and implemented multiplaform standards upon which to ground iTunes on top of.

tallscot

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2002
More substantial update?

Whoever wrote this article doesn't seem to know that most of the new features listed on the Apple Web page linked are old features, not new ones.

The majority of the new features in this 10.0.8 update are BUG FIXES.

I can't wait for basic features like being able to drag out the user interface video and audio palettes separately so I can see them both at the same time. Wow! What a concept! The user interface is a toy in that regard and it's why people call it iMovie Plus. Let people customize it like they could in 1987.

How about some guides that I can drag out to line up text, Apple? Seriously? This is a "pro" app and there are no custom guides? I'm actually putting up a piece of paper on my monitor to line up text!! Pathetic.

While we are at it, let's get that innovative feature called Save / Revert. LOL. I'm in FCP X and I edit for 15 minutes and then I decide I liked what I had before. What do I do? I have to press Undo a million times...OR I have to go to the project library and duplicate my entire project there first, making sure I tell it not to duplicate the render files or it will waste hundreds of megs (gigs) on my hard drive, and then if I want to revert back, I have to delete that...ugh. This is so tedious and a waste of hard drive space. How about a simple Save/Revert???!!!

What is wrong with a simple XML file for a project file that links to my media, where ever I want to put it? It's so easy to back that up to hard drives, etc. FCP X's Event and Projects really get buggered up if you move things around. It's amazing it can't use OS X's own Spotlight to find everything for you. Even if you find the first broken link, it won't go find the others. You have to manually tell it each one.

Speaking of Spotlight, FCP X's Import dialog isn't the standard OS X file dialog and it doesn't have Spotlight! So let's say I import a bunch of movie clips from a memory card in the Finder and I want to import MVI_4530.mov and work with it. I can't drag and drop that onto FCP X's app icon in the Dock (like I can with so many Mac apps). I have to use FCP X's import dialog and then manually browse through the file system till I find the right folder.

If I'm in Premiere Pro and I want MVI_4530 to be imported, I get the OS X dialog and I simply type 4530 in the Spotlight field and it brings it up automatically, like every OS X app I have. But not Apple's own "pro" app! Actually, Premiere Pro is a real Mac app and I can just drag and drop a video clip from the Finder onto the Premiere Dock icon and it imports it...just like Photoshop, Illustrator...you know, Mac apps. Apple is designing their own software like Microsoft is making it!

The import dialog in FCP X is a joke.

Hey, Apple, how about giving me the progress of my renders in the Dock icon? It's your own OS - your own feature in your own OS, and you won't use it. Adobe does.

FCP X is still slower than any other video app on the same system, including Motion, and requires I render just about everything to play at a decent speed (all clips that are color graded, all transitions, all generators...). I have a Mac Pro with 8 cores, Radeon 5770 1 gig video card, 24 gigs of RAM, $1,000 SSD hard drive on a PCI Express card.

I don't get how Motion can do something in almost real time without rendering on the same Mac but FCP X can't.

I wish FCP X's color grading features were more robust. I envy Resolve's motion tracking for a shape mask...

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Too late...most pros have already gone back to Windows. And without pro hardware, no one is going to switch back to Mac again.

If you really did any major research I think you'll find that the lack of a Mac Pro is actually a non issue as 'most' pros moved to Linux/Unix based render farms ages ago because they are way better than even the most tricked out Mac Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.