Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TXCherokee

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2012
I hate to pin this one on lack of life experience, but here we go:
1. When you and your wife/husband/fiance lives separately on the east/west coast due to work. It's nice to know if they have arrived at work or arrived at home safely without calling them all the time.

2. When you have worrying parents who have kids living or working for long period of time overseas.

3. When you have teenagers who is bad at telling you when they are home.

4. When you have active older parents who you want to keep track of, to make sure they are where they are suppose to be. Instead of calling them when you are at work you can simply turn the apps on and check on them.

Bottom line, don't fight things for the sake of fighting things. Everything has its disadvantage, as well as it's advantage.

5. You have 10-14 year olds who walk to/from school and you want to know they make it okay.

----------

Wow...you're saying I have lack of life experience now? Interesting theory you have on someone you don't know.

1) sounds silly. my wife is grown. I can call, text and email to see how's she's doing.

2) email. why would I need an app to see where they are. I know where they are. If I'm worried, I call or email.

3) I have a teenage. I always know when he's home and leaves the house. My app for my home security system notifies me.

4) Why do I need to check on my active parents? They are active so obviously they have to go take of their own business. I can catch up with them with real conversation or dinner at the house.

Technology shouldn't be used to keep people on a leash. People should have their freedom without an app for me to "check on them" with. The whole premise of this app is just silly and creepy.

Change #3 to pre-teen and pretend you don't have a home security system. Now you'd have a good reason to use the app. Besides that one point, I understand, if not necessarily agree, with both sides of this argument.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Fake leather on a digital non-corporeal piece of software disgusts you. Wow, how much does gasoline cost on your world?

What if it were just a yucky brown/tan gradient? Would that be better, really? Do people even use this thing at all (besides OAG of course)?

Yes, the depiction of dead animal skin is disgusting to me, just as it would if the theme was "disembowled organs" or "murdered baby heads". 92 octane costs about $4.25/gallon in my world lately.

And nope, I don't use it, and none of my friends do; it's another failed social networking attempt by Apple. Surely, some people are though, or they wouldn't keep updating it...you'd think.

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
Nice, you can set the radius on the notifications now. That's helpful.

Why do you need to know where I am all the time?
Unless you're a celebrity, chances are no one cares about where you are. You could share your location with 10 people and after a while, none of them would care. If they did care, they would call/text you and ask (or, if you've shared the location with them, they can spare your 30 seconds and find out themselves).

People make a bigger deal out of this that in really is. It's as if you share your location with someone, and that person will drop everything they're doing, quit their job, stop eating and sleeping, and just start tracking your blue dot on a map 24/7 as if it's the most interesting TV series in the world.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Technology shouldn't be used to keep people on a leash. People should have their freedom ...

How does family knowing where you are make you less free or put you on a leash?

My family obviously knows whether I'm home or not when they're home. With this, now they also know when they're not. No diff.

Or know if I'm still at work, so there's no rush cooking dinner... without bothering me if I'm still stuck in a meeting or something. Or close to home already, or not moving stuck in traffic, etc.

naeS1Sean

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
Scranton, PA
Same here

Yes, you are. It's garish, tacky, and the leather doesn't even have any thematic relation to the app's functionality.

And as a vegetarian, it mostly just disgusts me.

----------

What the hell does it matter if they like or use the app. Leave them alone.

Wow...you're saying I have lack of life experience now? Interesting theory you have on someone you don't know.

1) sounds silly. my wife is grown. I can call, text and email to see how's she's doing.

2) email. why would I need an app to see where they are. I know where they are. If I'm worried, I call or email.

3) I have a teenage. I always know when he's home and leaves the house. My app for my home security system notifies me.

4) Why do I need to check on my active parents? They are active so obviously they have to go take of their own business. I can catch up with them with real conversation or dinner at the house.

Technology shouldn't be used to keep people on a leash. People should have their freedom without an app for me to "check on them" with. The whole premise of this app is just silly and creepy.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
1. When you and your wife/husband/fiance lives separately on the east/west coast due to work. It's nice to know if they have arrived at work or arrived at home safely without calling them all the time.

2. When you have worrying parents who have kids living or working for long period of time overseas.

4. When you have active older parents who you want to keep track of, to make sure they are where they are suppose to be. Instead of calling them when you are at work you can simply turn the apps on and check on them.

Bottom line, don't fight things for the sake of fighting things. Everything has its disadvantage, as well as it's advantage.

OMG this is exactly whats wrong with society today. how did people survive for centuries without those apps?

when i was little (which was only 23 years ago but god i sound old now) i left the house in the morning and came home whenever from school. nowadays people have to drop their kid of right in front of the school and if the kid shows up 1 minute too late after school all hell breaks loose!

everyones scared of anything nowadays. OMG dont let the kid eat dirt from the ground (ironically those are usually the ones being allergic to something by the time they turn 10)

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
How does family knowing where you are make you less free or put you on a leash?

My family obviously knows whether I'm home or not when they're home. With this, now they also know when they're not. No diff.

Or know if I'm still at work, so there's no rush cooking dinner... without bothering me if I'm still stuck in a meeting or something. Or close to home already, or not moving stuck in traffic, etc.

Ya. That's a little too much info. A simple text, "I'm on my way" does it for me and my wife. I shouldn't have to check a yet another app for something so simple. But I can see your point as I see people are constantly checking their phone as if something significant is going to change from one minute to the next for every little thing it seems. This is the direction society is going - constant information coming at them, yet still not any more knowledgeable than they were before. The paradox.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
People sure do seem to care a lot about what other people do in their personal lives as if it somehow affects them or plays any type of role outside the lives of those other people. :rolleyes:

elusiv

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2011
This app is rubbish. The new design doesn't change the fact that it's too slow to find someone. The persons locations are way too slow to update or often can't even find my friends at all. I have run a test with two iPhone 5's both running the app and both of them could find the location of the other phone, both whilst on WiFi and the mobile service.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
OMG this is exactly whats wrong with society today. how did people survive for centuries without those apps?

when i was little (which was only 23 years ago but god i sound old now) i left the house in the morning and came home whenever from school. nowadays people have to drop their kid of right in front of the school and if the kid shows up 1 minute too late after school all hell breaks loose!

everyones scared of anything nowadays. OMG dont let the kid eat dirt from the ground (ironically those are usually the ones being allergic to something by the time they turn 10)

Everyone has different relationships with people close to them and different needs. I have my wife, children, siblings, etc. on find my friends and use it all the time. I don't use it because I am afraid something will happen, it is just helpful sometimes to know where people are. An example; I expected my wife to be home at a certain time and she hasn't shown, so I check to see where she is. Turns out she is at Walmart, so I text her to buy me some cereal while she is there.

Where she works, she is not allowed to use her phone during work (day care center). I check to see if she is still at work because she won't answer my text if she is. Maybe that seems like I'm controlling or not trusting, but she can see where I am if she needs to, and for us it isn't an issue. And it's not like I can't live without it, but it can be very convenient to know where people are without interrupting them. Plus, if I didn't want them to know where I was, I would just turn it off.

Maybe it doesn't work for everyone but for us it is an often used app.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
That's why I don't use it. Why do you need to know where I am all the time?

It's not about knowing where you are all the time, it's about knowing where you are some of the time.

For me and my family and close friends it's insanely useful. We travel quite a bit and this app really helps to coordinate trips without having to text someone where they are.

I also use it regularly when my wife is coming home from work. She gets off late and I need to know when to start dinner so that it's ready when she gets home.

Also, you have the ability to hide your location.

If you don't have a use for apps like this don't use them. Simple as that. Seriously, the comments in this thread are just embarrassing.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
This is too rich. The ethical dilemmas of digital leather. : ponders :

It's not an "ethical dilemma", I just find it -- or what it represents -- offensive. Surprising that mostly-vegan Steve approved this stuff, but then again he didn't always have consistent viewpoints.

shurcooL said:
Unless you're a celebrity, chances are no one cares about where you are.

Google and other companies do. They can build up a better advertising profile if they know where you go all the time. You're the product, after all, and they want to know as much about their products as they can.

I think this app does have some legit use cases, as evidenced by people in this thread using it to keep track of family. I think that family thing is where the usefulness lies. But for friends? Nah, even BFFs need their privacy from each other. This app should really be re-branded or rolled into another service.

NumberNine

macrumors regular
May 12, 2011
Am I the only one who LOVES the design of this app? The leather makes it feel premium, like I'm using an expensive quality product that can only be found on iOS. It contrasts strongly to the cheap looking Android apps.

Yeah man, it's so premium :rolleyes:

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010

By taking my reasoning and extending it to extreme is not a good way to look at this. In that case, taking your argument, I can say the same thing about electricity or cellphone. I'm sure when those novelty first come into existence people are saying the same thing you are, but as they became more integral part of our lives eventually the argument subsided. (e.g., I can say the same about cellphone, what is the need of the cellphone? People can't just stick to landline, and wait to make phone calls when they get home, or get to a pay phone?)

R-Flow

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2012
Amsterdam, NL
Yes, you are. It's garish, tacky, and the leather doesn't even have any thematic relation to the app's functionality.

You're disgusted by fake leather within a digital environment? You must be a really fun person to interact with on parties.

NuMystic

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2008
That's why I don't use it. Why do you need to know where I am all the time?

Best illustration of a generation gap I've seen in quite some time.

Razeus never said it's without value to others.

Your bullet pointed "advantages" are exactly why Razeus won't use it.

----------

You're disgusted by fake leather within a digital environment? You must be a really fun person to interact with on parties.

I'm a vegetarian as well and I'd rather have a bloody rare steak theme than this horrific faux leather abomination.

Aduntu

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2010
I hate weather apps. Why do I need to know what the weather is doing all the time? I can just look at the sky and see what the weather is doing. Why do I need to know where it's going and where it's been? Only idiots use apps like that. This is the direction society is going - constant information coming at them, yet still not any more knowledgeable than they were before. The whole premise is just silly and creepy.

PinoyAko

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2012
Why don't we add each other on this app so we will have a use for this app? That would be fun!

Nottt

CGagnon

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2007
Am I the only one who LOVES the design of this app? The leather makes it feel premium, like I'm using an expensive quality product that can only be found on iOS. It contrasts strongly to the cheap looking Android apps.

completely agree. I love skeuomorphism, it's way better than the alternative of stale, unimaginative interfaces you see on every other device. It's something that's pure Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.