Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kmaute

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
USA
Hi,

I got pissed off the other day and deleted Microsoft Office. Unfortunately, I also deleted Messages.app. I don't want to reinstall OSX as everything is set up correctly. I don't have a TM backup; I use Backblaze and Dropbox for backup purposes so that's not an option.

I've managed to install Messages.app but am missing the XMPP plugin. Any ideas on what packages I need to install with Pacifist?

Thanks,

Ken

Elbert C

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2008
AK, USA
Hi,

I got pissed off the other day and deleted Microsoft Office. Unfortunately, I also deleted Messages.app. I don't want to reinstall OSX as everything is set up correctly. I don't have a TM backup; I use Backblaze and Dropbox for backup purposes so that's not an option.

I've managed to install Messages.app but am missing the XMPP plugin. Any ideas on what packages I need to install with Pacifist?

Thanks,

Ken

Which version OS X is on your Mac?

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
1. This is of course one of the advantages of doing a complete back up, whether by TM or other software, so that you can restore any system files or other bits that you accidentally delete.

2. Is there not an MS Office uninstaller?

3. Are you talking about the XMPP.framework that normally resides in /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks?
For the record, anything in /System is likely to be Apple only, and important or necessary. Never delete ANYTHING from /System. Attempt no landings there.

kmaute

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
USA
Which version OS X is on your Mac?
I'm running 10.8.3

1. This is of course one of the advantages of doing a complete back up, whether by TM or other software, so that you can restore any system files or other bits that you accidentally delete.

2. Is there not an MS Office uninstaller?

3. Are you talking about the XMPP.framework that normally resides in /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks?
For the record, anything in /System is likely to be Apple only, and important or necessary. Never delete ANYTHING from /System. Attempt no landings there.

1) Yes, I know. I made the choice as this machine travels with me quite a bit. I can always reinstall but I wanted to ask here first.
2) There's a manual uninstaller but I was in a hurry. I used AppCleaner which has never failed me, however, I've never uninstalled a key part of my system.
3) Meh. I've done it before, will do it again if necessary. I just need to know what packages are missing to pull from the OSX ESD image.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
I used AppCleaner. I just need to know what packages are missing to pull from the OSX ESD image.
There's no way of knowing what AppCleaner removed. So your best option is a reinstall. Generally "cleaner" apps are more trouble than they are worth.

3) Meh. I've done it before, will do it again if necessary.
It is almost never necessary to delete stuff from /System.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.