Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stevefo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 16, 2013
I was looking at getting 32GB RAM for my late 2012 27"iMac i5. Did you notice any speed increase?

Nuke61

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2013
Columbia, SC
I was looking at getting 32GB RAM for my late 2012 27"iMac i5. Did you notice any speed increase?
For everyday normal stuff? Nope, except that I can now keep every program that I normally use open and ready to go. There is effectively a zero second delay for every program that I use on a routine basis. But other than that, it's not any faster -- 2012 27" with Fusion and i7.

Dr FranknFurter

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2012
Cambridge UK
Me! Prob a bit overkill but I use Adobe CS6 Creative Cloud so it just means RAW camera files with multi layers etc are not an issue. Bang for Buck you can't go wrong.

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
Tomorrow I will. Out of boredom TBH.

Will this increase Handbrake?

corpfan1

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2013
I have 32GB (4x8GB).

Does the iMac accept 16GB sticks?...or do you have a MacPro?

Combined with the 768GB SSD this thing is quite as a kitten and as quick as a Cheetah.

Raima

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2010

There seems to be a misconception that RAM improves speed. The general thinking seems to be, the more you put in, the faster it will go.

RAM does not improve speed.

In traditional applications in the past, when an application on a computer ran out of RAM to store information, it would move information from existing RAM and page it onto another media like a hard disk drive (HDD). This storage area on the HDD was known to be a paging file. HDD transfers information slower to/from RAM than if the information was keep entirely in RAM.

It is this movement of information to/from RAM to paging file that slows down the computer.

Once there is sufficient amounts of RAM where it no longer requires to page information to a HDD, the system runs at optimum speed and will not perform faster.

A 8GB iMac can run just as fast as a 32GB iMac if the applications do not demand more than 8GB usage. Adding extra RAM will not hurt your system.

Knowing this, only install the RAM that you need to run your applications without any slow down.

I hope this helps

Jag Jaeger

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2013
Gujarat, India
I think instead of increasing RAM you should increase cache memory size. Because of less cache memory TAT is increased, so try increasing cache. I assure you will notice increase in speed.

richard13

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
Odessa, FL
I feel that questions like this should center around how you use your computer.

If you are the type that just surfs the web, does some e-mail, then shuts their machine down every night, then the base amount is more than enough.

However, if you are "power user" and like to have a bunch of applications open at the same time or use RAM hungry applications get as much as you can. This is especially true if you also shutdown/reboot infrequently.

RAM is relatively cheap so maxing your iMac out probably wouldn't hurt anyway.

I agree with what the other poster said about it not making your computer "faster" but again, this depends on how you define faster. Will your iMac boot up faster? Probably not. But if you are working in a way that requires use of more resources RAM is going to be faster than a mechanical HDD.

To answer the OPs question directly, I do not have 32GB of RAM on my current iMac but plan to on my next one.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
I have 32GB in mine. As said, in day-to-day usage, you wont notice the difference between 8GB and 16GB, let alone 32GB.

However, when using virtual machines, you notice a huge difference. I can have 6 virtual machines running, each with 4gb of RAM (which improves the performance of the guest OS'es dramatically), have a couple of other apps open, and still have room to spare before it starts paging to disk.

elev8d

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2008
32bit vs 64bit

Another note is if you are using 32bit programs, they can only use 4GB of RAM. I use Ableton and lots of samples and VSTs, but if I didn't upgrade to the 64bit version having more than 4GB wouldn't help much.

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
Just finished installing it.

When I first got her, the boot up time was 17 seconds. Now it's 12 seconds.

It's definitely worth paying $171 for the upgrade. :p :cool:

$201 minus $40, sold the stock RAM.

Attachments

• SHIFT_patriot.png
    SHIFT_patriot.png
    208.1 KB · Views: 1,632
  • SHIFT_thirty two.png
    SHIFT_thirty two.png
    210.3 KB · Views: 1,253

ShiftClick

macrumors regular
May 9, 2010
Los Angeles
Where do you recommend selling the stock 8GB of RAM. I'd like to do this as my 32 GB crucial ram arrives tomorrow. Computer came today.:)

Personally I don't recommend selling it. In the case your iMac needs to go into service with Apple, I recommend holding on to those sticks and swapping them into your machine prior to service and holding on to your store bought ram. I've heard "rumors" of Apple service people returning machines to stock build and people losing ram and hard drives in the process. Just something to take into consideration, because honestly is the maybe $100 bucks you get for the sticks really worth the possibility you might have to buy all new ram?

Reactions: i3s3d01

seanm9

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2007
Cape Cod, MA
ivy bridge used in imacs has a max of 32gb!

that is what apple specs the machine at, but as every one knows apple only specs the machine at the available ram sizes when they are released (right now 8GB per slot) and never updates the spec the 2011 models can only have 16Gb (4 GB per slot) but plenty of people have put 32 GB into the 2011 model since the 8GB sticks came out… OWC and Everymac.com have plenty of stories of these facts… when 16GB sticks come out it is possible that all 4 will work just fine...

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
for me, 32GB is overkill. i bought an additional 16GB on top of the original 4GB in my 21.5" i5. 20GB is still overkill for me and there is no noticeable difference to me.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
For those of you with 32GB or even 16GB -- check your usage with everything running. Wired+Active is the amount you are using. Unless you are running a bunch of virtual machines concurrently I bet you aren't even using 8GB of RAM and quite possibly 4 or less!

The only good thing is that RAM is pretty inexpensive.

Reactions: jahwriter
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.